Topics

Question about banning members

Linda King

When a member is banned from a group, is that ban connected to their email address or their personal information? If it's the email address, can't they just create a new email address and join again?

Thanks for your help!
Linda

Frances

Linda,

I will leave your query to another person,
However if you have a restricted group, you can screen potential members so that you must approve each one. That may weed out bad guys!
and in:
https://groups.io/static/help#membernotices

Pending Subscription
Sent automatically to anyone who applies for membership in a restricted group. The notice marked "active" is the one sent; if no notice is active, none is sent. Some groups use this notice to ask a series of questions of applicants in support of their application; responses will go to the group owner address and be recorded in the member’s page under "+owner messages."

https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki

https://groups.io/static/help
More help: use the search button at the top of the Messages list.

Linda,
When a member is banned from a group, is that ban connected to their email address or their personal information?
To their email address. However, apparently there is another kind of banishment (available only for paid groups, as far as I know).
At this point, I'll leave it to be further discussed as I can't remember right now the necessary info to give you about it.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Linda,

When a member is banned from a group, is that ban connected to their
email address ...?
Yes.

If it's the email address, can't they just create a new email address
and join again?
Yes they can.

If, as Frances suggested, you run your group with Restricted membership you might be able to recognize them when they try again, but maybe not.

The extra information available in the pending subscription notice may help with this, but even that isn't sure-fire if the person takes steps to conceal themselves. In particular no such information is available if they join by email (using the +subscribe email address on the group's home page).
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/31931987

The feature Marcio couldn't remember is the ability to ban domains. That's not likely to be useful against an individual troublemaker as they can get around it by choosing a popular service (Gmail, Yahoo Mail, AOL, etc.) to join your group, some domain you wouldn't be willing to ban.