Address format not restored by deleting subgroup #subgroups #groupname

Luke Sherman <lsherman@...>

Hi folks,

I added a subgroup to my groups.io account and didn't realize that would cause me to lose my digitalenergyenvironment@groups.io email address. It automatically converted to main@digitalenergyenvironmnet@groups.io. In my opinion, the latter is far too long and I'd like to revert my group back to the original.

I deleted the subgroup, but still cannot revert back to the original email address for the group. Please let me know if you can help.

Thanks.

Duane

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 02:17 PM, Luke Sherman wrote:
lose my digitalenergyenvironment@groups.io email address
It isn't really lost and will work fine for sending to the main group.  To the best of my knowledge, the only way to revert would be to create a new group, change the name of the old group to a placeholder, change the name of the new group to the old one, then delete the old group.  The intermediate step is important because if you just delete a group, the name isn't available for some length of time.  There may also be snags, such as moving files or photos that exist in the original group though.

Search button at the top of Messages list

Luke,

I edited your Subject text for clarity.

I added a subgroup to my groups.io account ...

Actually, to one of your groups.

and didn't realize that would cause me to lose my digitalenergyenvironment@groups.io email address.

As Duane mentioned, that address should continue to work inbound to your primary group, but yes messages from your primary and subgroup(s) would now have the new subdomain style address.

I deleted the subgroup, but still cannot revert back to the original email address for the group.

I'm feeling a bit of whiplash, I thought the outbound messages of the primary group would revert to the original format (whereas previous to Mark's comment cited below I thought it wouldn't).

I don't recommend going through a rename and delete process, I would expect that to cause much more trouble than it is worth.

Michael Pavan

I added a subgroup to my groups.io account and didn't realize that would cause me to lose my digitalenergyenvironment@groups.io email address. It automatically converted to main@digitalenergyenvironmnet@groups.io. In my opinion, the latter is far too long and I'd like to revert my group back to the original.
Yes, it is not lost - however it is now an alias, as the ‘official’ email address of your group has changed to a less intuitive one.
Why does Groups.io screw-up a sensible email address to create confusion and an odd email address???

This is why I do not permit Subgroups in any of my Groups.

I would consider subgroups if:
-the official email address remained unchanged <GROUPNAME@groups.io>
-subgroups were the intuitive <GROUPNAME.SUBGROUPNAME@groups.io> or even <GROUPNAME_SUBGROUPNAME@groups.io>

Sarah k Alawami

Why not email this to the support address or discuss it on the beta group. I like the idea. I did change my mail address for my lists, but yeah I like yoru idea as well.

On 19 Dec 2018, at 19:31, Michael Pavan wrote:

[...]

This was discussed extensively on the beta group when subgroups were first being implemented. Specifically including variations such as those Michael suggests.I don't think you'll find much enthusiasm for changing it now.

Search beta for "subgroup" and "subdomain", maybe also "addressing" to find those threads.

Michael,

I would consider subgroups if:
-the official email address remained unchanged <GROUPNAME@groups.io>
-subgroups were the intuitive <GROUPNAME.SUBGROUPNAME@groups.io> or even <GROUPNAME_SUBGROUPNAME@groups.io>
To elaborate on my answer to Sarah, putting the subgroup names in the user field of the address was originally how it was done. One of the disadvantages is that the email commands already live in that space. So you end up with constructs like:

Which was thought to be rather ugly. I had forgotten this, but for a while both formats existed at once:
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/197503

The subdomain format, ExampleSub+unsubscribe@GroupManagersForum.groups.io, also fit with Marks plans with regard to Enterprise groups and their ability to use custom domain names for their groups. Those can be addressed as ExampleSub@...; so consistency was another argument for using the subdomain format with non-Enterprise groups (or enterprise groups that don't have their own domain).

You are free, of course, to bring this up in beta - just be aware that it is not a new topic and you'll likely need to address the comments and reasons already discussed there.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/search?q=subdomain

Roger Matus <roger@...>

Noobie here.  Sorry for the need for clarification.

I just created a group for my condo association. I just explained to everyone -- including the 90 year-olds, that they can start a topic by sending an email to bcm@groups.io.  So far -- so good.

I was about to create subgroups -- but -- I saw the warning about changing the email address of the main group.  If I do that, will bcm@groups.io still work?  I do not want to explain to everyone that they need to use a new email address,

Thank you

Duane

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 08:24 PM, Roger Matus wrote:
I just created a group for my condo association. I just explained to everyone -- including the 90 year-olds, that they can start a topic by sending an email to bcm@groups.io.  So far -- so good.

I was about to create subgroups -- but -- I saw the warning about changing the email address of the main group.  If I do that, will bcm@groups.io still work?
Yes, the main group address will still work when subgroups are created.  However, unless you created the group before January 15 2020, you can't create subgroups if you have a Basic (free) group.  You'd need to have a Premium or Enterprise group to do so.

Charlie McB

If the original main group address (groupname@...) still works when a subgroup is created, do to the other addresses such as groupname+subscribe@groups.io also still work?

-- Charlie