Topics

renamed my main group, now I cant get to it, or sub-group via drop-down "Your Groups", top left #groupname

Sam Hughes

I renamed it from "shna", to what it is now, "samhughes",  and now using the drop-down (see screenshot), I get a blank page, (see 2nd sreenshot)

Were on the verge of going to paid version, but wanted to rename the "group email", and I must of messed sumpin up.
Thanks

2nd screeenshot

Bruce Bowman

Just as groups must be approved when they are created, a group name change must be approved, too. There are also DNS entries that need to be updated, due to groups.io's subdomain addressing.

If by tomorrow you still can't get to the renamed group, please come back and let us know.

The system Help is your friend.  https://groups.io/static/help

Bruce Bowman

While we're at it, please see the following GMF message regarding other impacts you may encounter as a result of changing the group name:  https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/8144

The system Help is your friend.  https://groups.io/static/help

Sam Hughes

Thank you so much Bruce. I experienced the DNS issue immediately, a computer REBOOT solved that.

I wonder if G.io can RESTORE my group back to original?

Man if I know that renaming my main group email would cause so many probs, never would of done that.

Duane

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 07:19 PM, Sam Hughes wrote:
Man if I know that renaming my main group email would cause so many probs, never would of done that.
If you already had the subgroup, just renaming the main group shouldn't do anything serious.  You may need to tweak a link in the Welcome message and you may want to change the Subject Tag in the Message Formatting section of the Settings page.

Search button at the top of Messages list

Sam,

I wonder if G.io can RESTORE my group back to original?
As you've discovered, after renaming you primary group it can take some time for the new name to propagate through the internet (specifically the DNS system) and to everyone's computers.

That delay is partly within your own computer if the OS caches the DNS entries (and it most likely does), and if your browser caches them (it may also). Your home router may also have a DNS cache, and your ISP service almost certainly does.

But once the name has reached you, you can access your primary group and change it back, if you really want to.

Having support change it back for you won't change the need for the second change to also propagate through the DNS system. But you'd have to ask support if they will do that for you.

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 10:03 PM, Duane wrote:
If you already had the subgroup, just renaming the main group shouldn't do anything serious.
The main group name is embedded in the URL of a subgroup (https://subgroupname.groups.io/g/maingroupname). On that basis I believe changing the name of the main group could be anticipated to have similar impacts on the subgroup.

As we've had several people ask about this, I've created a new wiki entry. Please edit as appropriate.

The system Help is your friend.  https://groups.io/static/help

AL Guevara <al@...>

Can a post be closed?

Duane

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 02:03 PM, AL Guevara wrote:
Can a post be closed?
Owners (and moderators with the proper permissions) can close topics.  I don't believe that's ever been done on this group though.  Sometimes a new user will search through the old information and ask clarification or a related question.  I like doing that on my groups because it keeps the information together and makes it easier for someone to find an answer later.

Search button at the top of Messages list

Leadership Team

I think I did the same thing -- renamed my group.  And now I can't access it under either name.  Hoping you're right and it will come back tomorrow after admin approves the name change.

But the weird thing is that my yahoo calendar and iCal on iPhone are still showing me the group's calendar entries (though the times are off on full-day entries).  So that gives me hope that the group will come back.

Leadership Team,

I think I did the same thing -- renamed my group.  And now I can't access it under either name.

There are a couple possibilities. One is that the page you're using to access it is in your browser cache with the old link in it. Ctrl+F5 should fix that (if it is a Groups.io page, and not something placed on an external web site using code from the Promote page or otherwise).

The other applies only if you changed the subdomain name (to the right of the @ sign) of a group with subgroups. In this case it can take a while for that change to propagate through the DNS network to reach your browser.

Hoping you're right and it will come back tomorrow after admin approves the name change.

I don't think there's any Groups.io approval required for name changes. Only group creation.

But the weird thing is that my yahoo calendar and iCal on iPhone are still showing me the group's calendar entries (though the times are off on full-day entries).  So that gives me hope that the group will come back.

Those calendars probably don't update immediately. You may need to re-connect them, I don't think there's a mechanism for them to automatically learn about a group address (name) change.