Reply to an email integration mail #bug #reply-to-group

thierry laporte <thierry.laporte@...>

Hello,

I manage a group using groups.io. This group is an importation from yahoo groups where i used to manage sevral groups.
In this group, I've created a email integration address. All of this is OK.

Now, I send an email using this "integration address" to my list (from an email address that is not a subscriber of my list). The mail is correctly received by all the subscribers. That's OK

If I make a "reply all" to that mail I've receive, It fills the recipients of that reply. And, It adds an mail address as recipient that ends with : "groups.io@%!s". Obviously it"s an non valid email address.
How to fix that ? is it a bug ?, an error I've made while configuring my list ?

I tested this with both settings of my list : "reply to list only" or "reply to list and sender", and both have the same behaviour.
I've tested with two different lists, and i's the same.

Can someone help me ?

Thanks in advance

thierry,

If I make a "reply all" to that mail I've receive, It fills the
recipients of that reply.
What does it put in the To (or CC) fields? You might expect it to be your non-subscriber address (the one that sent the message) plus the group's posting address.

But Reply All is one of those features which operates somewhat differently at different email interfaces.

And, It adds an mail address as recipient that ends with :
"groups.io@%!s". Obviously it"s an non valid email address.
Can you examine the header of the message you received? Of interest are the From, To, CC, List-Id, and Reply-To fields. Maybe also Sender, if there is one. These are the fields normally used, in some fashion, by an email interface's Reply and Reply All functions.

If that oddball address is in one of those fields, then we'd also want to look at the header fields of the message as you sent it (from your non-subscriber address). Your email interface for that address may let you see a copy of what it thinks it sent, but it would be better to send another message to the integration address, and this time CC yourself directly (at an address where you can examine the received message's header).

Comparing those two sets of fields (on the way in to Groups.io, and on the way out from it) will likely reveal the origin of the oddball address.

thierry laporte <thierry.laporte@...>

Thanks for your answer.
See answers below

Le sam. 15 sept. 2018 à 21:13, Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> a écrit :
thierry,

 > If I make a "reply all" to that mail I've receive, It fills the
 > recipients of that reply.

What does it put in the To (or CC) fields? You might expect it to be
your non-subscriber address (the one that sent the message) plus the
group's posting address.

In the To field, I have 2 addresses :
But Reply All is one of those features which operates somewhat
differently at different email interfaces.

I have exactly the same behaviour using Gmail webmail, or thunderbird under win10

 > And, It adds an mail address as recipient that ends with :
 > "groups.io@%!s". Obviously it"s an non valid email address.

Can you examine the header of the message you received? Of interest are
the From, To, CC, List-Id, and Reply-To fields. Maybe also Sender, if
there is one. These are the fields normally used, in some fashion, by an
email interface's Reply and Reply All functions.

If that oddball address is in one of those fields, then we'd also want
to look at the header fields of the message as you sent it (from your
non-subscriber address). Your email interface for that address may let
you see a copy of what it thinks it sent, but it would be better to send
another message to the integration address, and this time CC yourself
directly (at an address where you can examine the received message's
header).

Comparing those two sets of fields (on the way in to Groups.io, and on
the way out from it) will likely reveal the origin of the oddball address.

Here is the headerof the mail as it has been sent. And nowhere there id the oddball address

Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2018 10:54:49 +0200 (CEST)
From: thierry.laporte@...
To: main+int+565+8359221228508754780@rirethy.groups.io
Subject: Test for integration mail
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2018 10:54:49 +0200 (CEST)
From: " via Groups.Io" <thierry.laporte=lxxxe.net@groups.io>
To: Rirethy via Email Integration <main@rirethy.groups.io@%!s(MISSING)>
Subject: [rirethy] Test for integration mail #SyndicTest

Thanks again for your help.

Thierry Laporte

Thierry,

Here is the headerof the mail as it has been sent. And nowhere there
id the oddball address

Now, here is the header of the received mail, where we can see the
oddball email address (hilighted bellow) :

That's great evidence.

Particularly interesting is the outbound To address:
To: Rirethy via Email Integration <main@rirethy.groups.io@%!s(MISSING)>
It seems like it should have stopped at "groups.io" and then it would have (correctly) been your group's posting address. The extra "@%!s(MISSING)" looks a little bit like a fragment of coding that somehow leaked through, perhaps a string substitution gone wrong.

I think you should take the headers and explanation you've given here and send it to support@groups.io as a bug report. Or if more convenient, send the link to your post to support, along with a step-by-step explanation of how you set up the integration and tested it.
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/11831