Topics

#hashtags #bug Lots of messages "need approval" #hashtags #bug

Andrew Godfrey

Dear all,

We recently set up a group in which all subscribers are able to post messages without moderation. However, a huge number of messages end up in moderation ("Message Approval Needed") for no reason we can discern. We use hashtags in the group: originally they were set to be compulsory, but we unticked that option to see if solved the problem. However, it still persists. Our moderator thinks it may have some relation to URLs in messages, but some messages without URLs have been held up in the queue too. We are really not sure what the source of this problem could be, any suggestions would be welcome.

Andy

Frances

There is a setting for unmoderating new members after a specific number of posts. If they are relatively new posters, perhaps that is the problem.
Go to Admin, Settings (it is the first one, not Default Sub Settings).
Scroll down to Spam Control.
Change the Unmoderate after to a number you prefer - perhaps 1 message.

Hope this is it!

Frances

Edited

Andy,

However, a huge number of messages end up in moderation ("Message Approval Needed") for no reason we can discern.

It isn't likely to be a bug.

A message will need approval if:
  • the posting member's Posting Privileges is set to Override: moderated;
  • the posting member's Posting Privileges is set to Override: new user moderated and their approval count is non-zero;
  • the posting member's Posting Privileges is set to Use Group Moderation Setting and the Moderated box is checked in the Spam Control section of the group's Settings page;
  • the Allow Non Subscribers to Post box is checked in the Message Policies section of the groups Settings page and the posting email address is not currently in the group's Members list;
  • the message Subject contains a hashtag with the Moderated box checked;
  • the Automatically Moderate Topics Older Than x days box is checked in the Message Policies section of the group's Settings page and the message is a reply to an older topic;
  • the message is a reply to a topic that a moderator¬† has manually set to Moderate Topic;
  • the Viruses option is set to Moderated in the Message Policies section of the group's Settings page and the message contains suspected malware; or
  • the Attachments option is set to Moderate in the Message Formatting section of the group's Settings page and the message contains one or more attachments.

Did I forget any?

David Griffin <david@...>

I have this problem, but only with members posting from gmail addresses.  None of the points listed below apply.

Regards,

Dave Griffin
021 352 595

On 13/09/2018, at 3:41 PM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

Andy,

[...]

  • the message is a reply to a topic that a moderator¬† has manually set to Moderate Topic; or
  • the Viruses option is set to Moderated in the Message Policies section of the group's Settings page and the message contains suspected malware.

Did I forget any?

Odd, I have Gmail users and that doesn't happen. There has to be something.

I sent invitations and added them. Not "direct add" that is possible with a paid group.
None were added recently.

In Spam Control
My group is restricted.
New users are moderated and they are unmoderated after 3 posts.

In Message Policies,
I allow non-subscribers to post. These are moderated.
No mail is disabled. Subscribers have to be at least receive Special Notices.

In Viruses - suspicious emails are blocked.

Frances

Andrew Godfrey

Dear Shal,

Thank you. I ran through your complete list. However, none of those things apply in our case.

Andy

Barb M

If none of the more obvious "Moderate" settings shows up as the problem, you might check your Attachments setting (in Message Formatting). One of the options there is to Moderate them - that is, someone would have to "okay" any messages that contain attachments. Emails with attached "cards" or those that use stationery designs could be showing up there. A URL by itself doesn't typically show as an attachment, but if there is a "preview" along with it, that could.

Barb

Thanks Barb!

... you might check your Attachments setting (in Message Formatting).
Added to my list (edited message).

Andy,

I ran through your complete list. However, none of those things apply
in our case.
Including Barb's additional reason?

I firmly believe there will be a reason each of those messages ended up in Pending. It might not be the same for all of them, but each will have at least one reason.

If we havn't listed it here yet it might be time to cite one of those messages to support@groups.io to find out the reason. I've also made a request that each pending message should show its specific reason.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/18314

Let us know if you learn anything.