Topics

graphics files

eclairedelune@...

Can I add .tif and .png files? Is there someplace that has guidelines for what types of files can be uploaded?

Thanks,
Claire

Claire,

Can I add .tif and .png files? Is there someplace that has guidelines
for what types of files can be uploaded?
I'm not aware of any restrictions on the types of files that can be uploaded to the group's Photos or Files sections.

In Photos .png files definitely work, but .tif is a very flexible format so while the file will likely upload, it may not be viewable without downloading.

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 01:45 AM, Claire Tompkins wrote:
Can I add .tif and .png files?
TIF files will not render in most browsers and, when uncompressed, run into tens of MB, eating up group storage.

I ask my subscribers to stick with JPG, GIF and PNG.

The system Help is your friend.  https://groups.io/static/help

Glenn Glazer

On 7/18/2018 05:15, Bruce Bowman wrote:
On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 01:45 AM, Claire Tompkins wrote:
Can I add .tif and .png files?
TIF files will not render in most browsers and, when uncompressed, run into tens of MB, eating up group storage.

I ask my subscribers to stick with JPG, GIF and PNG.

Bruce

Even in Thunderbird, TIF files show up as attachments and have to be opened using an external viewer.  Not recommended.

Best,

Glenn

[ad trimmed by moderator]

Claire Tompkins <eclairedelune@...>

Dang, I guess I should have researched this before I joined. I’m looking for a platform to substitute for Yahoo. I need to communicate with my music group but we also need an archive for images, and video and music files. I’m guessing with the memory constraints, this is not the place! If you have a suitable suggestion, I’d love to hear it.  Yahoo and Google Groups both seem to be subpar.

Thanks,
Claire

On Jul 18, 2018, at 7:15 AM, Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

TIF files will not render in most browsers and, when uncompressed, run into tens of MB, eating up group storage.

I ask my subscribers to stick with JPG, GIF and PNG.

The system Help is your friend.  https://groups.io/static/help

[excess quote trimmed by moderator]

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 11:46 AM, Claire Tompkins wrote:
If you have a suitable suggestion, I’d love to hear it.  Yahoo and Google Groups both seem to be subpar.
The first thing I'd try is converting some of the TIFs to one of the other formats at low compression. It's amazing how much storage can be saved that way and still have a sharp, legible image.

Some folks set up a public folder on a Google Drive, upload all the big files there, and insert links in their emails instead. It's a little kludgy but if you decide to use Google Groups instead of GIO you're gonna find yourself doing much the same thing.

Another option is to pay $110/year for a Premium group with 10 GB storage.

Or any combination thereof.

Hope this helps,
The system Help is your friend.  https://groups.io/static/help

Bill Burns

On 7/18/2018 2:17 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 11:46 AM, Claire Tompkins wrote:

If you have a suitable suggestion, I’d love to hear it.  Yahoo and
Google Groups both seem to be subpar.

The first thing I'd try is converting some of the TIFs to one of the
other formats at low compression. It's amazing how much storage can be
saved that way and still have a sharp, legible image.

Some folks set up a public folder on a Google Drive, upload all the big
files there, and insert links in their emails instead. It's a little
kludgy but if you decide to use Google Groups instead of GIO you're
gonna find yourself doing much the same thing.

Another option is to pay $110/year for a Premium group with 10 GB storage.

Or any combination thereof.

Hope this helps,
Bruce
Videos will eat up even 10GB in no time. It might be better to host
them on a Private channel at YouTube (i.e one where each video can be
accessed only if you have the specific link) and just post the links to
her list.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/157177?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

--
Bill