Topics

Members Unable to Post to Group

Leslie Noelani

One member of my group said that her email to our group bounced, so I
checked her "Email Delivery History" and found this:

Most Recent Unsuccessful Attempt:
Attempted: Jun 27
Response: 452 4.1.1 Too much mail from this address E2210

I thought I'd check every member in the group (we have maybe 10
members) and found that two other members have the same message.

And a fourth member had this:

Most Recent Unsuccessful Attempt:
Attempted: Jul 2
Response: EOF

What needs to happen for them to be able to respond to group posts? Is
it something I can do myself?

--
Leslie Noelani Laurio

Duane

Those are responses from their service when a message was sent to them from groups.io.  Maybe they could forward the bounce notice they got to see what the error was.

Search button at the top of Messages list

Toby Kraft

Leslie,
Let's back up a bit.  You said "her email to our group bounced" which sounds like she got an error message when she tried to send a post or reply to groups.io.  To help, we need to know what error message that user got from her email service.
The "most recent unsuccessful attempt" is a record of last time there was a failure when groups.io sent an email to the subscriber.  When was the "most recent successful delivery" to this user?  If successful deliveries are reported after the most recent unsuccessful attempt, then she is receiving email from groups.io.  (meaning whatever caused the earlier failure is no longer blocking email)
Thanks
Toby

Patty Fletcher

What I'd like to know please? Is how did you check that?
I really do not understand all I know about all this.
Not sure why. Feeling rather stupid.

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 01:43 pm, Patty Fletcher wrote:
What I'd like to know please? Is how did you check that?
To see what's going on with a member, go to the Members page and select the member in question by clicking on the row anyplace except the box on the left.  On the resulting page, choose the "Email Delivery History button at the top.

Search button at the top of Messages list

Leslie Noelani

As it turns out, all three members whose mail said "452 4.1.1 Too much mail from this address E2210" are subscribed with charter.net addresses. One of them has been trying to respond through the gmail address she said she didn't want to subscribe to the group.

Leslie

Leslie Noelani

I'm googling EOF (which is the other error message) and it either means "end of file" in python script (which doesn't seem to make sense here) or something related to SMTP (is that a smart phone?)

Jim Higgins

Received from Leslie Noelani at 7/3/2018 10:45 PM UTC:

I'm googling EOF (which is the other error message) and it either means "end of file" in python script (which doesn't seem to make sense here) or something related to SMTP (is that a smart phone?)

EOF means "end of file" in this context also, but it emanates from deep within the mail server software and isn't something you can do anything about.

Bottom line for members unable to post is that unless the bounce message comes from Groups.io, then the member needs to directly contact the ISP thru which the message was posted. You probably need to see that bounce message - complete with all headers - to determine where it came from. Good luck explaining to your member what "complete with all headers" means.

Jim H

Glenn Glazer

On 7/3/2018 15:45, Leslie Noelani wrote:
I'm googling EOF (which is the other error message) and it either means "end of file" in python script (which doesn't seem to make sense here) or something related to SMTP (is that a smart phone?)
* EOF: End of File, more specifically, a special character placed at the end of a file so that programs know not to read memory beyond that point.  It is not specific to Python and started with the C programming language.
* SMTP: Simple Mail Transport Protocol: the internet protocol used to communicate with mail servers for the purposes of sending and retrieving email.  It is not specific to mobile devices.

I don't know exactly what error message you are reading, but it sounds like someone is sending malformed files, like one with the EOF character inserted inside the header or something.

Best,

Glenn

Leslie Noelani

Thanks for all your help.

I sent out a test message. Everyone was able to receive it and respond to it except for one charter.net account whose account was set up to respond through gmail. We subscribed her gmail account in addition to her charter.net account and now everything seems to be working for all members. :-)

Leslie

Bob Bellizzi

Many supposedly free email providers perform some sort of restriction on their victim/members.  rr.com throttles the incoming messages if one exceeds an unspecified total of something they do  not define to the user.   As a resdult, messages are bounced by the rr.com server with cryptic error messages like, "too many messsages"
account busy, try later
etc.
Hotmail also does this and Prodigy.  AOL has some unique stuff going on.  Their servers are actually on their own custom style network with bridges to the real internet.  If you assigned bridge gets too busy, they declare a "destination timeout".  this last may have changed but I've seen more retries on AOL that on any other service.

--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Leslie,

One member of my group said that her email to our group bounced, so I
checked her "Email Delivery History" and found this:
As Duane and others mentioned, the Email Delivery History is for outbound messages - from the group to the member.

It sounds like your member's message bounced on the inbound leg - from her to the group's posting address. You can learn about problems on the inbound leg from the group's Activity log. In the Message Activity tab look for entries showing "attempted to send message". Those will be failed attempts,

But it sounds like you already figured out that this was a case of
"Non-member [person's gmail address] attempted to send message ..."

On 3 Jul 2018 at 17:10, Glenn Glazer wrote:

* EOF: End of File, more specifically, a special character placed at the
end of a file so that programs know not to read memory beyond that
point.  It is not specific to Python and started with the C programming
language.
The concept is much older than that. I remember using a special EOF character
(although we didn't call it that) on a 1st generation computer, where input and
output was punched cards only. The character told the machine to stop reading
cards and switch off the card reader. Every program and most input data files
had to end with that character.

Jim Fisher (showing his age) :-)

--
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom (needs updating)

Glenn Glazer

On 7/4/2018 15:04, Jim Fisher wrote:
On 3 Jul 2018 at 17:10, Glenn Glazer wrote:

* EOF: End of File, more specifically, a special character placed at the
end of a file so that programs know not to read memory beyond that
point.  It is not specific to Python and started with the C programming
language.
The concept is much older than that. I remember using a special EOF character
(although we didn't call it that) on a 1st generation computer, where input and
output was punched cards only. The character told the machine to stop reading
cards and switch off the card reader. Every program and most input data files
had to end with that character.

Jim Fisher (showing his age) :-)

--

To quibble, though, that's a pun on "file".  The EOF at the end of a Hollerith deck was to indicate that the program ended there, not a file that the program was reading.  That is, the punch card EOF is code EOF, the C style EOF is data.

Best,

Glenn

[ad trimmed by moderator]

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 07:49 pm, Glenn Glazer wrote:
To quibble, though, that's a pun on "file".  The EOF at the end of a Hollerith deck was to indicate that the program ended there, not a file that the program was reading.  That is, the punch card EOF is code EOF, the C style EOF is data.
Per K&R, EOF is an INTEGER, as returned from a function call trying to read a data stream. It is traditionally -1.

It is neither a character nor a data terminator.

Back in the 70s when I first began doing computer programming, Hollerith cards used a string of 9s as an end-of-data indicator.

I apologize to all for continuing this off-topic thread and only do so with the hope of putting an end to it.

Thanks,
The system Help is your friend.  https://groups.io/static/help

On 4 Jul 2018 at 19:45, Glenn Glazer wrote:

To quibble, though, that's a pun on "file".  The EOF at the end of a Hollerith
deck was to indicate that the program ended there, not a file that the program
was reading.  That is, the punch card EOF is code EOF, the C style EOF is data.
To clarify the situation I was talking about, on that computer (English
Electric DEUCE) the "EOF" marker was a single hole anywhere in one particular
column of the card (I don't remember for sure if it was column 1 or column 80).
The machine read rows of binary from the card (progams or data) and it stopped
reading as soon as that hole was encountered, so rows further down the card
were ignored. This was unlike other punched card machinery, which normally read
cards as columns of decimal/alpha, one digit per column. Input data in that
format (which was normal) had to be converted on the fly by the program as the
cards were read.

PS Sorry this is such a late reply - had no internet connection since last
Thursday evening, when I drafted the above. Service went off before I could
send it.

Jim

--
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom (needs updating)