Topics

Archive information

Marti Garner Gmail

Where can I find information on the archives and managing them?

Frances

A quick reply to say that "archives" can also mean "messages". It is confusing!
The Help page says:
Archive
The archive of a group consists of all messages posted to the group, except messages that have been deleted. It is displayed in a chronological list by clicking on "Messages" on the group’s home page.

There may be other archives if the term is used loosely - photos, files, databases, wiki.

The "archives" is probably not what you think it is. It is simply a collection of group messages that have accumulated over the months/years.

As for managing them, outside of splitting/merging threads and other such daily maintenance, there isn't much you can do. You can download a backup in MBOX format (readable in any text editor). Open the Admin->Settings tab and click on the "download archives" button at top right.

Bruce

-- Sent from my humble desktop computer

Where can I find information on the archives and managing them?

Frances

Hi again,
I added a request to this post on Beta.  It would be useful if the word "message" be added to our group home page that talks about "archive". Now it says: Archives are visible to anyone. Or  Archives are visible to subscribers only.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/16375

Frances