Topics

Categories for groups -- idea suggestion #suggestion

Al Ludwick / NN4ZZ

12:48 pm   

It would be very helpful to be able to search / browse groups by category.   There are new groups on Groups.io but it is not easy to find them for a specific interest area.  For example I'd like to see the new groups for "Amateur and Ham Radio" that are being formed.  See the illustration below, I don't think there is a good way to do this currently but it seem like it would not be difficult to add.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
al (at) NN4ZZ (dot) com

Al Ludwick / NN4ZZ

This idea is also posted in the "beta" group but it was suggested to post it here too.   A member there suggested we offer a short list of categories to illustrate and solicit opinions on how to keep it short and still be inclusive.   So here is a quick pass I made with 20 entries, sorted alphabetically including one for "other." 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
al (at) NN4ZZ (dot) com

Don Grass

You could do that now in Databases by naming the dbases in alphabetical or numerical order, but it won’t be in a form format like you have.

Don

From: GroupManagersForum@groups.io <GroupManagersForum@groups.io> On Behalf Of Al Ludwick / NN4ZZ
Sent: Monday, April 2, 2018 5:18 AM
To: GroupManagersForum@groups.io
Subject: Re: [GMF] Categories for groups -- idea suggestion #suggestion

This idea is also posted in the "beta" group but it was suggested to post it here too.   A member there suggested we offer a short list of categories to illustrate and solicit opinions on how to keep it short and still be inclusive.   So here is a quick pass I made with 20 entries, sorted alphabetically including one for "other." 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
al (at) NN4ZZ (dot) com

Bruce Bowman

I believe what Al's looking for is something to supplement the Public group directory search engine...sort of like the categories you see on the front page of Craigslist.

Bruce

-- Sent from my humble desktop computer

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Mon, 02 Apr 2018 18:02:08 -0400 (EDT)

You could do that now in Databases by naming the dbases in alphabetical or numerical order, but it won’t be in a form format like you have.

Don

From: GroupManagersForum@groups.io <GroupManagersForum@groups.io> On Behalf Of Al Ludwick / NN4ZZ
Sent: Monday, April 2, 2018 5:18 AM

This idea is also posted in the "beta" group but it was suggested to post it here too. A member there suggested we offer a short list of categories to illustrate and solicit opinions on how to keep it short and still be inclusive. So here is a quick pass I made with 20 entries, sorted alphabetically including one for "other."

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
al (at) NN4ZZ (dot) com

Robert Schechter

Or categories for groups like Yahoo:

Robert

-----Original Message-----
From: GroupManagersForum@groups.io [mailto:GroupManagersForum@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bruce Bowman
Sent: Monday, April 2, 2018 7:09 PM

I believe what Al's looking for is something to supplement the Public group directory search engine...sort of like the categories you see on the front page of Craigslist.

Bruce

-- Sent from my humble desktop computer

Al Ludwick / NN4ZZ

Hi Bruce and Robert,
Yes, categories similar to what Yahoo uses for groups but just a single level instead of the multi level heirachy they attempted to set up.  There is more detail in the thread in the “beta” group with some additional discussion. 

--
Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
al (at) NN4ZZ (dot) com