Topics

Categories for groups -- idea suggestion #suggestion

Al Ludwick / NN4ZZ

12:48 pm

It would be very helpful to be able to search / browse groups by category.   There are new groups on Groups.io but it is not easy to find them for a specific interest area.  For example I'd like to see the new groups for "Amateur and Ham Radio" that are being formed.  See the illustration below, I don't think there is a good way to do this currently but it seem like it would not be difficult to add.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
al (at) NN4ZZ (dot) com

Al Ludwick / NN4ZZ

This idea is also posted in the "beta" group but it was suggested to post it here too.   A member there suggested we offer a short list of categories to illustrate and solicit opinions on how to keep it short and still be inclusive.   So here is a quick pass I made with 20 entries, sorted alphabetically including one for "other."

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
al (at) NN4ZZ (dot) com

Don Grass

You could do that now in Databases by naming the dbases in alphabetical or numerical order, but it won’t be in a form format like you have.

Don

This idea is also posted in the "beta" group but it was suggested to post it here too.   A member there suggested we offer a short list of categories to illustrate and solicit opinions on how to keep it short and still be inclusive.   So here is a quick pass I made with 20 entries, sorted alphabetically including one for "other."

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
al (at) NN4ZZ (dot) com

Bruce Bowman

I believe what Al's looking for is something to supplement the Public group directory search engine...sort of like the categories you see on the front page of Craigslist.

Bruce

-- Sent from my humble desktop computer

You could do that now in Databases by naming the dbases in alphabetical or numerical order, but it won’t be in a form format like you have.

Don

This idea is also posted in the "beta" group but it was suggested to post it here too. A member there suggested we offer a short list of categories to illustrate and solicit opinions on how to keep it short and still be inclusive. So here is a quick pass I made with 20 entries, sorted alphabetically including one for "other."

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
al (at) NN4ZZ (dot) com

Robert Schechter

Or categories for groups like Yahoo:

Robert

I believe what Al's looking for is something to supplement the Public group directory search engine...sort of like the categories you see on the front page of Craigslist.

Bruce

-- Sent from my humble desktop computer

Al Ludwick / NN4ZZ

Hi Bruce and Robert,
Yes, categories similar to what Yahoo uses for groups but just a single level instead of the multi level heirachy they attempted to set up.  There is more detail in the thread in the “beta” group with some additional discussion.

--
Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
al (at) NN4ZZ (dot) com