Invitations to join

Michael Buckley <M1CCF@...>

Please excuse me4, but I am new to all this.

I "own" a couple of groups, how do I invite anybody to join them?  I know I can list all the emails of specific people and they will all get a specific request, but that is time consuming as each has to be individually typed.

Is there not some way to just broadcast " if you want to join, go to:  Groups.io" and then a pointer to the specific group?

I would also like to put this link on a web site - can I?

Thanks

Mike

Duane

Go to Admin > Promote for information on adding an invitation to your site.

Search button at the top of Messages list

Frances

Hi Mike,

Can’t you post your "subscribe to" email address on a website?
The email address appears on the homepage of your group.
• Subscribe: xxxx+subscribe@groups.io

Frances

Don Grass

I think what the person was talking about, was a way to promote their URL the old fashion way. There used to be actual sites a person could go to, where they would fill out a form with their sites URL, name of the site, and short description. It took maybe a few days to a week for the new site to be recognized by some kind of bot (I don’t remember how that actually worked), and then the site could be found when doing a search on the internet. The Promote in Group.io does not work like the old way, as it only lets the site be promoted on FB and Tweeter.

Don

Go to Admin > Promote for information on adding an invitation to your site.

Search button at the top of Messages list

Duane

The Promote page also has code that can be added to a web site, including a preview of what it will look like.

Search button at the top of Messages list

Bruce Bowman

>> I think what the person was talking about, was a way to promote their URL the old fashion way.

I've been webmastering for almost 30 years. Back then, search sites such as Google (and Yahoo) used to have "promote" links where you could submit the URL of your page to get your stuff into their engine. Today I think they all spider the web themselves and no longer accept that kind of thing...probably because of the proliferation of phishing sites over the past 5 years.

I think the best you can do is paste the html found on the Promote page here into your web site and hope the spiders eventually find it.

Another tidbit I just discovered.  There was a group created on Groups.io about 4 hours ago.  I did a search online, by exact name, and it came up as the 2nd or 3rd result, depending on the search engine.  Having the group listed in the Groups.io directory seems to update the search engines fairly quickly.

On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 10:25 am, Duane wrote:
Having the group listed in the Groups.io directory seems to update the search engines fairly quickly.
Nice to know. I tried it myself and it works well.

Remarkably, the Y!G that we have by the same name did not show up at all, even using their own search engine.

Bruce

J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...>

Agreed. It was amazing how fast our group grew after we moved.

On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 10:36 AM, Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 10:25 am, Duane wrote:
Having the group listed in the Groups.io directory seems to update the search engines fairly quickly.
Nice to know. I tried it myself and it works well.

Remarkably, the Y!G that we have by the same name did not show up at all, even using their own search engine.

Bruce

Don Grass

“I think the best you can do is paste the html found on the Promote page here into your web site and hope the spiders eventually find it.”

I was a little concerned about how long it was going to take my new Groups.io site to show up in search engines, as the old YG group site was on the first page whenever I did a search. Groups.io was about four pages back on the same searches, but I noticed after the transfer when the old site was not being used anymore, the Groups.io site starting moving up to the first search page. I’m not sure how that happened, but I’m guessing it might have had something to do with site activity.

Don

Michael Buckley <M1CCF@...>

Thanks for the replies, but i dont think anybody pointed me in the direction I wanted to go, other than negatively, perhaps!

SO do I take it that there is no way to put a group address on a websigte or elsewhere asking people to join, with a, or the, group address

eg Groups.io/M0VOG  ?????

Yahoo group appear in the search machines, but it seems from the replies that "IO" groups dont, so how does anybody find M0VOG???

Mike

On 04/03/2018 09:07, mjb wrote:
Please excuse me4, but I am new to all this.

I "own" a couple of groups, how do I invite anybody to join them?  I know I can list all the emails of specific people and they will all get a specific request, but that is time consuming as each has to be individually typed.

Is there not some way to just broadcast " if you want to join, go to:  Groups.io" and then a pointer to the specific group?

I would also like to put this link on a web site - can I?

Thanks

Mike

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 12:08 am, Michael Buckley wrote:
M0VOG
I just did a Google search on this string. Your groups.io group was the third entry in the hit list.

For a subscription link, go to Admin->Promote and scroll down. You should see a box containing raw html that can be pasted directly into your web site.

Bruce

Don Grass

Both of my YG and IO groups appeared in searches, but the YG one appeared on the first page of a search, while the newly formed IO group was about four pages back. Once the activity on the YG ended, and increased on the IO group, the IO group replaced the YG on the first page of a search. I could be wrong, but I think it had something to do with activity.

Don

Subject: Re: [GMF] Invitat6ions to join

Thanks for the replies, but i dont think anybody pointed me in the direction I wanted to go, other than negatively, perhaps!

SO do I take it that there is no way to put a group address on a websigte or elsewhere asking people to join, with a, or the, group address

eg Groups.io/M0VOG  ?????

Yahoo group appear in the search machines, but it seems from the replies that "IO" groups dont, so how does anybody find M0VOG???

Mike

[excess quote trimmed by moderator]

Jonathan Sivier

Or an even lower-tech solution would be to just put a link on your web page to the home page of your group. If you have a public group it should have a "Join This Group" button on it.

Jonathan

On 3/7/2018 10:12 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 12:08 am, Michael Buckley wrote:
M0VOG
I just did a Google search on this string. Your groups.io group was the third entry in the hit list.
For a subscription link, go to Admin->Promote and scroll down. You should see a box containing raw html that can be pasted directly into your web site.
Bruce

Michael Buckley <M1CCF@...>

Thanks, Don

Mike

On 07/03/2018 17:00, Don wrote:

Both of my YG and IO groups appeared in searches, but the YG one appeared on the first page of a search, while the newly formed IO group was about four pages back. Once the activity on the YG ended, and increased on the IO group, the IO group replaced the YG on the first page of a search. I could be wrong, but I think it had something to do with activity.

Don

[excess quote trimmed by moderator]

Michael Buckley <M1CCF@...>

Tha ks for thaT

gOOD TO KNOW PEOPLE CAN FIND US!

mIKE

On 07/03/2018 16:12, Bruce Bowman wrote:
On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 12:08 am, Michael Buckley wrote:
M0VOG
I just did a Google search on this string. Your groups.io group was the third entry in the hit list.

For a subscription link, go to Admin->Promote and scroll down. You should see a box containing raw html that can be pasted directly into your web site.

Bruce

Michael Buckley <M1CCF@...>

Thanks Jonathan - THAT is a thought!

Mike