Change/customize automatic calendar hashtag #calendar #hashtags

Marina

Is there a way to change the hashtag which the calendar appends automatically to each event?
I don't mean to use the same hashtags I set for the group posting, I'd like to have a separate hashtag #reminder just for the calendar.

I edited the original hashtag "cal-invite" to "reminder" after the event was displayed in the group, but I found out that the new hashtag did not work for subsequent events.
Two later events were marked with two different hashtags: #cal-reminder and #cal-notice.

Sorry for the dumb question, but I don't understand how it works.

Thank you for your help.
Marina

Jan B-B

I don't get the hashtag thing either!

While I have everyone's attention (new to IO thus the perhaps silly question)..............

I'm asking what the story is with masking email addresses so any would-be trolls, spammers, address harvesters, and other bad guys can't see other members' email addresses? Is there a way to set the group to do that?

Thank you to any and all who might reply

Jan

Jan from NH
Keeping it simple one day at a time

Is there a way to change the hashtag which the calendar appends automatically to each event?
I don't mean to use the same hashtags I set for the group posting, I'd like to have a separate hashtag #reminder just for the calendar.

I edited the original hashtag "cal-invite" to "reminder" after the event was displayed in the group, but I found out that the new hashtag did not work for subsequent events.
Two later events were marked with two different hashtags: #cal-reminder and #cal-notice.

Sorry for the dumb question, but I don't understand how it works.

Thank you for your help.
Marina

Duane

Some hashtags are defined by the system (and can't be changed as far as I know, though some can be 'tweaked' a bit.)  When you check the "Send Invite To Group" box for an Event (default is checked), the message will be sent with the cal-invite hashtag.  If you set up reminders for the Event, they'll be posted with the cal-reminder hashtag.  If you choose the "Send Notice To Group When Event Happens" box, it will be sent with the cal-notice hashtag.

On the group Settings page, in the Privacy section, there's a drop down box for "Hide Email Addresses In Archives".  The choices are "Mask all email addresses in the web archives." (default, I think) or "Do not mask email addresses in the archives."  I chose not to hide them when this was changed a few weeks ago, but they still weren't showing up.  I just did a test and it seems to work properly now, but I didn't test thoroughly.

Search button at the top of Messages list

Marina

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 10:11 am, Duane wrote:

Some hashtags are defined by the system (and can't be changed as far as I
know, though some can be 'tweaked' a bit.)  When you check the "Send Invite
To Group" box for an Event (default is checked), the message will be sent with
the cal-invite hashtag.  If you set up reminders for the Event, they'll be
posted with the cal-reminder hashtag.  If you choose the "Send Notice To
Group When Event Happens" box, it will be sent with the cal-notice hashtag.
Thank you, Duane. Sometimes it's hard to understand how things work in IO.
I need to test this feature a bit more.
I'll put your explanation in my moderators' group Wiki.

Marina

Duane

Marina,

You're very welcome.  Sometimes those of us that have been here for 2 or 3 years don't realize how much information there is to absorb.  We got to learn it a bit at a time, slowly, as the features were introduced.  When I joined, there were no Files, Photos, Calendar, Hashtags, Directory, Wiki, or Databases!  (and probably a few others that I've forgotten about. ;>)

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 11:43 am, Duane wrote:

Marina,

You're very welcome.  Sometimes those of us that have been here for 2 or 3
years don't realize how much information there is to absorb.  We got to learn
it a bit at a time, slowly, as the features were introduced.
IO is a powerful platform but it is also very complex. Sometimes I feel like I am drowning in a sea of queries and instructions.
Speaking of learning slowly, I haven't been able to sort out this calendar thing, yet. I surely miss some essential information here. Or maybe this is not the appropriate ffeature for what I need.

When I was in my old YG group I used to send a reminder manually to the group to remind members of important deadlines concerning calls, applications, etc.

Now that I am on IO I'd like to use the calendar to have these reminders automatically sent to members. Something like "Remember that applications will no longer possible after day-month" or "Remember that subscriptions to workshop close on day-month".

I'd like to have just one reminder sent to the group. But all I get are two different messages: one with the actual reminder (hashtag #cal-reminder) and, on the deadline date, a second message with the same reminder (hashtag #cal-notice).

This happens even if I don't check the options Send Invite to Group and Sent Notice when Event happens.
Is there a way to have just one reminder sent to the group?

Marina

Marina,

I'd like to have just one reminder sent to the group. But all I get
are two different messages: one with the actual reminder (hashtag
#cal-reminder) and, on the deadline date, a second message with the
same reminder (hashtag #cal-notice).

This happens even if I don't check the options Send Invite to Group
and Sent Notice when Event happens.
Is there a way to have just one reminder sent to the group?
Unchecking "Send Notice when Event happens" should have prevented the second, #cal-notice, from being sent. Works for me anyway.

Though there have been some bugs reported involving updates (edits) to repeating events, so maybe this is something to have support@groups.io take a look at for you.