Q: posts during the transfer/welcome message/size to save attachments?

Group Moderator <groupmoderator3@...>

Thank you for all your help. Reading the posts here is extremely helpful to get a feeling for this new format.

A few more questions please:
1) I haven't seen any discussion of this, so perhaps it's not an issue, but I was wondering: What happens to the posts on our YG group while waiting for the transfer and/or while the transfer is happening (which seems to take a few days, based on a recent post)? Does the transfer "back date" from when it was requested, or from when it starts/finishes? Is there a way to add on the messages after, if some do get left out?

2) As an aside, does the "welcome to groups.io" message go out to the group immediately once the transfer is done or do we mods get some advance notice - so we can alert the membership? (Of course we will be letting them know beforehand, but people seem to have short memories).

3) Attachments are not so important on our group although we'd like to keep them in the archives. What is a good size setting to use? The smallest (150x150)? Will that be readable? Also what setting option in Default Sub Settings > Max attachment size to use?
As well, will this impact just how the message is saved in the archives, or also how it goes out to the group?

Mindy

Bruce Bowman

>> What happens to the posts on our YG group while waiting for the transfer and/or while the
>> transfer is happening (which seems to take a few days, based on a recent post)?

Nothing happens to the messages other than being read by the transfer agent. Also, the delay in transfer is because so many requests are in queue waiting to occur, not because it takes several days to do one transfer.

>> does the "welcome to groups.io" message go out to the group immediately...

Yes, it does. I would have preferred the option to defer it, but that functionality does not currently exist to my knowledge.

>> Attachments are not so important on our group although we'd like to keep them in the archives.

I don't fully understand this question but will mention two configuration options that may bear on it.

The "best size" for you depends on how many are sent and at what point you want to run out of space (1 GB total in the free version). There is an option to delete old attachments as news ones are added, which is what we set on our groups. This is generally preferable to the alternative -- that the group will refuse to accept further attachments or uploads until you go in and delete some manually.

There is also a setting to limit the size of attachments that will go out in group emails. This is limited mainly to the largest size that you feel every member's email server will accept before they bounce the message back for being too large. If you set that to...say...4MB, anything larger than that will still be stored on the server; but the emails that go out will contain a link to the document on the server instead of a copy of the document itself.

I hope that made sense.

Bruce

Mindy,

1) I haven't seen any discussion of this, so perhaps it's not an
issue, but I was wondering: What happens to the posts on our YG group
while waiting for the transfer and/or while the transfer is happening?
Some of those messages will post before the copy reaches that point in the Y!Group's conversations; those will get copied. Those that post after won't.

Is there a way to add on the messages after, if some do get left out?
Not automatically. I believe you'd have to post them to the Groups.io group manually.

2) As an aside, does the "welcome to groups.io" message go out to the
group immediately once the transfer is done or do we mods get some
advance notice - so we can alert the membership? (Of course we will be
letting them know beforehand, but people seem to have short memories).
Nothing happens at the point where you click the "Go" button (or previously, sent the Go message). When the copy completes (which currently may be several days later) the system optionally sends two emails:

1) "You have been added to GroupEmailAddresss". This message is sent if you don't uncheck the "Send a message to your members when the transfer is complete" box on the transfer form.

2) The active Welcome notice from your group's Member Notices page. Before clicking Go I made a second Welcome notice, tailored specifically for the members who would be copied in, and made that one Active. Afterwards I made the normal Welcome notice active once more.

3) Attachments are not so important on our group although we'd like to
keep them in the archives. What is a good size setting to use? The
smallest (150x150)? Will that be readable?
Those sizes are for photos, not documents. So "readable" will depend on what the content of those photos is. That small is fine for a person's head shot, but probably wouldn't be adequate to show fine detail in a scene or a project.

Also what setting option in Default Sub Settings > Max attachment size
to use?
You know your membership best, but I'd use "Unlimited" because most of my members would likely be using desktop computers with a decent internet connection. If most of your members are likely to be using metered or limited connectivity you might want to set it small or even zero.

As well, will this impact just how the message is saved in the
archives, or also how it goes out to the group?
The Max Attachment Size under Default Sub Settings is a default for individual members. It has no impact on the Messages archive or the group as a whole.

The Max Size in Email in the Photos section of the group's Settings page affects both how the photos are stored and how they are distributed out to the group in email.

Group Moderator <groupmoderator3@...>

Thank you Bruce and Shal, that was very helpful.
By "post to the group after" - how does that work? Would the post on the GIO show as coming from the member?
(The only way I can think of is to copy and forward the messages from a moderator account)
Mindy

Group Moderator <groupmoderator3@...>

Am I correct that the message sent to the group post-transfer will be the "welcome" message we set up, not something automated, which may be confusing to members?
Mindy

Bruce Bowman

>> By "post to the group after" - how does that work?

It means that you will have to figure out your own way to cut each message out of the YG (or your incoming email client) and cross-post them into the new group, in some manner that you find the least objectionable.

I know of no way to force the messages to appear to come from the original poster. If you have a lot of time on your hands, you could insert some text at the top of each such message stating who originally posted it, but the message headers will still show you as the cross-poster.

Bruce

Mindy,

By "post to the group after" - how does that work? Would the post on
the GIO show as coming from the member?
I had in mind asking the member to post it him/herself, so that it would properly show as coming from him/her.

This was on the theory that there would not be very many messages "stranded" on the Yahoo Group. In the case of one of mine that just completed, none were.

In other words, I got lucky despite a trickle of messages coming through after I had said "Go" but before I locked down the Yahoo Group. The other approach would have been to lock down the Yahoo Group before saying go, but with it possibly being several days I didn't want to stop things for that long.

(The only way I can think of is to copy and forward the messages from
a moderator account)
But then, as you suspect, it would post as being from that moderator.