Date   

Re: "Not Confirmed" Anomaly

Duane
 

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 02:35 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
Maybe the manual is missing that vital condition.
It's not mentioned in the table of 31.4.1, but is covered in 11.3 (Handling members marked as Not Confirmed.)

Duane
--
Lots of detailed information can be found in the Owners Manual and Members Manual.


Re: "Not Confirmed" Anomaly

 

Chris,

/A prospective member has requested to join the group by email or
through the group’s website, and they need to respond to the
confirmation email message sent by Groups.io, log in to Groups.io, or
(in a restricted group) be approved by a moderator. After the //member
is confirmed, this badge is removed./
My understanding was that applied only to Premium groups.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/14747

In reality that does not happen. Is my interpretation
corrrect or have I misread it?
Maybe the manual is missing that vital condition.

Shal


--
Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter
More Help: https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki
Even More Help: Search button at the top of Messages list


Re: What to do with NC-members?

 

Chris,

My first thought was "yes"; my second thought was "perhaps not". The
reply to the Pending Subscription might be /I think someone has been
spoofing my email address/ and I don't think that should trigger the
clearing of an NC flag.
Interesting point. I'm not sure if there's any harm done.

As you don't approve the respondent there's no immediate harm done. A subsequent spoofed +subscribe to another group would require its own confirmation.

I guess that's the vulnerability though: you might approve the respondent anyway and that person would then be righteously annoyed.

I'm a little surprised that no - one has commented on my earlier /As
an aside, notwithstanding the fact that "NCs" are not supposed to be
able to post, I have found evidence to suggest that they can, but have
not been able to find any evidence that attempts to post by them are
stopped anywhere./
That's a different topic.

FWIW I had the same thought as Duane - that NC would be allowed to post as a non-member, if the group allows it. But you say the group doesn't allow that so... dunno.

January 2018, April 2019, & November 2019, plus some from the "Nov
2019 poster" imported when we migrated from Yahoo in December 2017.
If you used the Easy Group Transfer those addresses were never NC. Likewise Direct Add. So something else is afoot with them.

It is possible that they deleted their account, and maybe that starts that address anew as NC the next time it appears. If that's the case their address might not have been NC at the time they replied.

Or, IIRC there was once a way to "unconfirm" one's address for testing purposes, but maybe that got subsumed into account Deletion.

Shal


--
Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter
More Help: https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki
Even More Help: Search button at the top of Messages list


Re: Why do my Setup changes not actually work?

Deane Williams
 


Shal,
Thanks for this detailed answer. Just what I was looking for.
Deane


Re: Preapproving members #addmembers

Duane
 

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 01:14 PM, Brad Parker wrote:
Is there a way to upload a members list to preapprove our current members so they are confirmed as soon as they click SUBSCRIBE? Or must a moderator approve each request individually and manually?
There's no pre-approval process.  I think the closest would be using the Invite process.  When someone accepts an invitation, no further moderator action is needed.

If you have a paid group, you can Direct Add members as well.

Duane
--
Lots of detailed information can be found in the Owners Manual and Members Manual.


Preapproving members #addmembers

Brad Parker, ᴄᴀᴇ | AALA
 

We have added the Groups.io subscription code snippet to the members-only entry point on our website. Association members who want to join our e-mail group can enter their e-mail addresses and subscribe there. Is there a way to upload a members list to preapprove our current members so they are confirmed as soon as they click SUBSCRIBE? Or must a moderator approve each request individually and manually? I've been all through Section 11 of the Group Owners Manual and don't see anything that answers my question. Thanks, all, for your help. 


Re: What to do with NC-members?

Duane
 

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 12:56 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
some from the "Nov 2019 poster" imported when we migrated from Yahoo in December 2017
Hmmm.  I thought that anyone imported never got NC.  That an account was created as a regular member (if they didn't already have one) and they were notified that they'd been added in case they wanted out.

Duane
--
Lots of detailed information can be found in the Owners Manual and Members Manual.


Re: sent invitations have vanished #invitation

Jonathan Sivier
 

That's inconvenient.

Jonathan

On 4/15/2021 1:18 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
Jonathan,

I checked the other lists I run and in all cases there are no
invitations listed on the "Sent Invitations" pages.  Has anyone else
noticed this?  Did something happen recently to wipe out all past
invitations?
If they were more than two weeks old, yes:
I'm not thrilled about that. I'd rather they changed to an "inactive" status or something so that I wouldn't need to track them separately.
Shal


Re: What to do with NC-members?

Chris Jones
 

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 05:21 PM, Duane wrote:
When did they post?
January 2018, April 2019, & November 2019, plus some from the "Nov 2019 poster" imported when we migrated from Yahoo in December 2017.

Were their posted messages by any chance as non-members?
No. Not allowed on the group in question!

Chris


Re: What to do with NC-members?

Duane
 

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 11:13 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
3 of them had an "Activity History" that included posting messages to the group that were moderated & released in the normal way
A couple of questions come to mind.  When did they post? (Thinking maybe it was before some of the 'interlocks' were in place.)  Were their posted messages by any chance as non-members?

Duane
--
Lots of detailed information can be found in the Owners Manual and Members Manual.


Re: Calendar Printing

Derek Milliner
 

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 01:30 PM, Duane wrote:
It looks to me like you could Subscribe to the group calendar in order to get the ics
Yep, and it's very simple to do this. The subscribe gives you a URL for the ICS which you can then use as the location in your (local) calendar app. I did this to add our group calendar to the Lightning calendar add-in for Thunderbird. That has (much) better formatting controls for printing. Usefully to me ('cos I'm careless at times) it's a one-way feed, i.e. you can get events from the calendar but not edit/add/remove from your calendar app.


Re: Re-Directing Pending Replies To Original Poster? #messages

Chris Jones
 

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 04:07 PM, KP Friess wrote:
I am trying to figure out if there is a way to redirect pending forum replies back to the original poster, rather than to the group as a whole so as not to overwhelm other members of the list.
Has this been the source of a lot of complaints?

I ask because if (a) posts, and (b) asks for a DM reply then (c)... (z) never see the answer although they may be equally interested in what the answer is. (c) (etc) having seen (b)'s question don't ask it again, but they might if they never see the response because it has been sent direct.

I can understand your wanting to minimise the level of "unnecessary" group traffic but it might cause other complications.

Chris


Re: sent invitations have vanished #invitation

The Review Crew
 

I have the same situation. I use the "sent" list to re-send. My sent invitees have remained on that page for months....today (when I saw this thread), I checked, and they are all gone. Luckily I kept a manual backup of the addresses.

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 10:06 AM Kathi M via groups.io <Kathilau2=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
This is the first time that's happened.  I use that list to resend invitations to people.  I have found that lots of times people missed the first or even second or third invitation.  Being able to just resend saves me a lot of work.   


Re: What to do with NC-members?

Chris Jones
 

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 04:06 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
Well I'm always keen to learn so please share what evidence you have.  As I run a restricted membership group and use Direct Add to add new club members to it I don't really deal with pending subscriptions and NC status applicants.
OK; here goes; The new members list filtering system makes it easy to find any NCs amongst >1800 members; there are 14 of them. Checking them one by one revealed that 3 of them had an "Activity History" that included posting messages to the group that were moderated & released in the normal way, which would not be the case if NCs were by definition unable to post.

I assume that the others were "lurkers" who had not made any attempt to post anyway.

FWIW it does seem that emails are not being sent to them, even if they had previously selected "Individual Messages".

I have posted another topic about the contents of the "Manual" about this and depending on the outcome this is one that I will take to beta because I think greater clarity over what is supposed to happen and what is actually happening is required.

Chris


Re: Re-Directing Pending Replies To Original Poster? #messages

Duane
 

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 10:07 AM, KP Friess wrote:
if there is a way to redirect pending forum replies back to the original poster
No.  If all replies should go to the original poster, you can set the group default to Reply To Sender, but there's no way to redirect pending messages.  I have a Member Notice of type Rejected Message that says "You should direct personal messages to the person via Private Reply, not the group.  https://groups.io/helpcenter/membersmanual" , so I can easily take care of that situation.

Duane
--
Lots of detailed information can be found in the Owners Manual and Members Manual.


Re: Re-Directing Pending Replies To Original Poster? #messages

Andy Wedge
 

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 04:07 PM, KP Friess wrote:
I have my group set up for post approval, and a good chunk of the posts in my group are folks asking for direct replies to questions. However, people frequently reply-all to the entire group. I am trying to figure out if there is a way to redirect pending forum replies back to the original poster, rather than to the group as a whole so as not to overwhelm other members of the list. I'm only seeing a way to approve the post, edit the post, or send a DM to the person who wrote the reply. 
You could set your group's default reply option to reply just to the sender (See Admin > Settings > Message Policies (panel)  or you could define a hashtag and set the 'Reply To' property on that to reply to sender and encourage people who want personal replies to include that in the subject line of any topic they start.  In my group, our hashtag for that is just called #replytosender.

Andy


Re-Directing Pending Replies To Original Poster? #messages

KP Friess
 

Hi there,

I have my group set up for post approval, and a good chunk of the posts in my group are folks asking for direct replies to questions. However, people frequently reply-all to the entire group. I am trying to figure out if there is a way to redirect pending forum replies back to the original poster, rather than to the group as a whole so as not to overwhelm other members of the list. I'm only seeing a way to approve the post, edit the post, or send a DM to the person who wrote the reply. 

Thank you,

KP


"Not Confirmed" Anomaly

Chris Jones
 

Can someone please confirm (or otherwise!) my reading of an entry in the Owners (& Members) Manuals.

In Para 34.1.1 of the Owners Manual (pdf version) the table entry for "Not Confirmed" reads:

A prospective member has requested to join the group by email or through the group’s website, and they need to respond to the confirmation email messagesent by Groups.io, log in to Groups.io, or (in a restricted group) be approved by a moderator. After the member is confirmed, this badge is removed.

The underlining is mine. My reading of the above is that if an applicant is granted entry to a Restricted Group by a Moderator then any NC flag is removed. In reality that does not happen. Is my interpretation corrrect or have I misread it?

Chris


Re: What to do with NC-members?

Louie S
 

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 12:16 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
This sounds like a #suggestion for beta: have a reply to the Pending Subscription notice confirm the replying address.

In fact, it already was at least once, but buried in a lengthy related topic:
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/30193991#20112

Perhaps time to make it a stand-alone suggestion. If there was a reason it couldn't/shouldn't be done I don't remember it.
I just put in a suggestion for a Add new Notice Type - Confirmation Request That I think would deal with my needs as well as Chris's.

-louie



Re: What to do with NC-members?

Andy Wedge
 

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 03:28 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
I'm a little surprised that no - one has commented on my earlier As an aside, notwithstanding the fact that "NCs" are not supposed to be able to post, I have found evidence to suggest that they can, but have not been able to find any evidence that attempts to post by them are stopped anywhere.
Well I'm always keen to learn so please share what evidence you have.  As I run a restricted membership group and use Direct Add to add new club members to it I don't really deal with pending subscriptions and NC status applicants.

Andy

4861 - 4880 of 42629