Date   
Re: Format for file names

Pablo Sanchez
 

On 2019-10-20 10:42, Jerry Berg wrote:
    I am new to Groups.io, so apologies in advance for what may be a stupid question.

    When I upload a file to my group, instead of displaying just the file name, the file name includes the path all the way back to my C drive where the file is stored.  It makes it hard to identify files in a list of files.  Is this normal?  How to fix?



Hey Jerry,

I just did a test and I am not seeing what you're seeing - see below.  Can you do a screen shot and post it?

Thx!



-- 
pablo

Re: Format for file names

Frances
 

Hi

I just double-checked what I do and here's what I found.
On my Mac computer, it will show the suffix but only that.
However, I can edit the file name that is displayed after the file is uploaded. Click on the update icon beside the name and edit and click update, include taking out the .pdf or .pages

I don't know why it initially displays the full path when you do it though. Possibly your computer setup?

Frances
--

FAQ on Moving from YahooGroups

https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki

https://groups.io/static/help
More help: use the search button at the top of the Messages list.

Re: Moving just the members

Robert Schechter
 

Bruce wrote:

 

box in the form:

upload a flat text file containing all the email addresses in the same format.

 

 

I do not know everyone’s names, are you saying the flat file cannot be a mix, some with names some without?

 

-          Robert S

Re: Problem replying in Thunderbird using message footer link #reply-to-group

Glenn Glazer
 

On 10/20/2019 07:21, West Coast Compañeros Staff wrote:
Your comments clarify nicely the function of the HTML code for the footer Reply links. I discovered that for myself when I inspected that code and I've moved past my expectation that quoted text would be loaded into the reply message. What had originally led me to believe that Thunderbird was trying to do that was the new TB tab that opens up along with the reply message. That tab is labeled "Loading ..." and remains there doing nothing until you close it. That seems to be a bug in Thunderbird, and it is that TB behavior that Pablo and I have been investigating. My message to Pablo (quoted above) should have made that clearer to the group. My bad. The bug seems to be alive and well in the latest version of TB and does not seem to be caused by Add-ons. As a TB bug, it is probably not an issue that we need to continue discussing in GMF.

Robert R.
I've seen that and I agree it is a bug in Thunderbird. It's not related to groups.io though, so I think further investigative work would be best done offlist - especially given how much traffic there is on the list of late.

Best,

Glenn

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Threading/Conversations

MALACHY OCONNOR
 

We currently have a Yahoo group with about 300 users. I setup a Groups.io group and added 10 users as a test. When using Reply to Group to reply to an email the content from other replies is removed. For those users with Threading or Conversations enabled this is OK. However for users without Threading or Conversations enabled they only see that reply which can be very confusing. 

What is the recommended procedure?

Re: Download message history

Sarah k Alawami
 

I believe the owner of the group can export the message history. But no one else has that privilege. I guess because you can do whatever you want with that message history. Personally, I like it this way annoying as it is.
 
Sarah Alawami
 

From: groupmanagersforum@groups.io on behalf of Sharon Pohlman via Groups.Io <ceegee2006@...>
Sent: Sunday, October 20, 2019 6:52 AM
Subject: [GMF] Download message history
 
Someone just asked in a group this question .
“Is there a way to download theMessage History of a group in a readable format?“

[subject line enhanced by moderator]



Re: Format for file names

Jerry Berg
 

Thanks for replying.  Screen shot attached.


At 11:01 AM 10/20/2019, you wrote:

On 2019-10-20 10:42, Jerry Berg wrote:
    I am new to Groups.io, so apologies in advance for what may be a stupid question.

    When I upload a file to my group, instead of displaying just the file name, the file name includes the path all the way back to my C drive where the file is stored.  It makes it hard to identify files in a list of files.  Is this normal?  How to fix?


Hey Jerry,

I just did a test and I am not seeing what you're seeing - see below.  Can you do a screen shot and post it?

Thx!
-- 
pablo

Reassurance please - is this in process?

rich hurd
 

I know that the organization is hammered with requests and I just want to be sure that I’m in line to get processed.  :)

My group (when looked at in the Easy Transfer section) says “Awaiting Transfer” and if you click on it, the resulting web page says “We are in process of transferring your group.”    At this point I just sit and fidget, correct?   
--

We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.” ― John F Kennedy

Re: Format for file names

Frances
 

Jerry, I would edit the names when I create the PDF. (Might be different with your OS.)
However, you can edit the names now - yes, tedious with so many, but doable.
Use the Update icon beside each file.

Frances

Re: Moving just the members

Bruce Bowman
 

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 11:04 AM, Robert Schechter wrote:
I do not know everyone’s names, are you saying the flat file cannot be a mix, some with names some without?
Robert -- It's okay if some have the display name and some do not.

Just note that any single entry [read: line] not conforming with either standard will throw an error and fail to be processed.

Regards,
Bruce

Re: Format for file names

Jerry Berg
 

Good info, thanks.  I did not realize that you could edit a file name this way.  It does work on my setup.  But it would be burdensome if you had to change each file name after you uploaded the file, especially if you were uploading a bunch of files at one time.  I would think there is something in the group settings that might affect the way this is handled (I am the group owner), but if it's there I can't find it.


At 11:03 AM 10/20/2019, you wrote:

Hi

I just double-checked what I do and here's what I found.
On my Mac computer, it will show the suffix but only that.
However, I can edit the file name that is displayed after the file is uploaded. Click on the update icon beside the name and edit and click update, include taking out the .pdf or .pages

I don't know why it initially displays the full path when you do it though. Possibly your computer setup?

Frances
--

Re: Format for file names

Bruce Bowman
 

Jerry -- That is really weird. I've never seen anything like that.

What browser are you using? Any add-ons that might affect this?

Bruce

Re: Reassurance please - is this in process?

Bruce Bowman
 

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 11:18 AM, rich hurd wrote:
My group (when looked at in the Easy Transfer section) says “Awaiting Transfer” and if you click on it, the resulting web page says “We are in process of transferring your group.”  
Rich -- At least you have gotten past the long wait time (where you sit in queue waiting for the invitation to be accepted). 

You have already updated the transfer agent to Moderator and clicked on the "Give Go Ahead to Transfer" button, right?

 At this point I just sit and fidget, correct?
I suspect you'll find yourself done within 24 hours. You can be anxious or excited about that, your choice. :-)

Bruce

Re: Pictures will not show up

Ullman Garrett
 

" I cannot pull up pictures that people send(img) it tells me I am not subscribed to the group with this email address".

Bruce, I have confirmed that the email address at the end of group messages is the same as her subscription email. I have a picture. Any additional possibilities?
Ullmang

Re: Format for file names

Jerry Berg
 

        IE11, plain vanilla setup on Windows 8.1, nothing exotic.  Yes, I know, no one should still be using IE, or Win 8.1 for that matter, but that's where I am.  I move files all over the place, all the time, and I've never encountered a  file naming problem before (including in Yahoogroups).


At 11:26 AM 10/20/2019, you wrote:

Jerry -- That is really weird. I've never seen anything like that.

What browser are you using? Any add-ons that might affect this?

Bruce

Re: Reassurance please - is this in process?

rich hurd
 

Yes, I gave it the green button.  That was on Friday.  

There is 10 years of content and 4700+ members so I might be waiting a bit longer than that.  :)


On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 11:32 Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 11:18 AM, rich hurd wrote:
My group (when looked at in the Easy Transfer section) says “Awaiting Transfer” and if you click on it, the resulting web page says “We are in process of transferring your group.”  
Rich -- At least you have gotten past the long wait time (where you sit in queue waiting for the invitation to be accepted). 

You have already updated the transfer agent to Moderator and clicked on the "Give Go Ahead to Transfer" button, right?

 At this point I just sit and fidget, correct?
I suspect you'll find yourself done within 24 hours. You can be anxious or excited about that, your choice. :-)

Bruce

--

We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.” ― John F Kennedy

Re: Format for file names

Bruce Bowman
 

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 11:38 AM, Jerry Berg wrote:
Yes, I know, no one should still be using IE, or Win 8.1 for that matter, but that's where I am.  I move files all over the place, all the time, and I've never encountered a  file naming problem before (including in Yahoogroups).
I found the following at this web site:  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2200100/input-type-file-for-ie-gives-full-path-need-file-name-only

Hope it helps, fingers crossed...

Bruce


There is also an IE option under:
  • Internet Options
  • Security tab
  • In "Internet" or "Intranet" click on Custom Level
  • In the Security Settings scroll down until you see “Include local directory path when uploading files to a server” and disable it.
  • Click OK on Internet Options window and refresh.

Re: Download message history

 

But to have IO do it that costs the $110 I think the person is wanting to do it herself I think that might be next to impossible

On Sunday, October 20, 2019, 10:15:30 AM CDT, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:


I believe the owner of the group can export the message history. But no one else has that privilege. I guess because you can do whatever you want with that message history. Personally, I like it this way annoying as it is.
 
Sarah Alawami
 

From: groupmanagersforum@groups.io on behalf of Sharon Pohlman via Groups.Io <ceegee2006@...>
Sent: Sunday, October 20, 2019 6:52 AM
Subject: [GMF] Download message history
 
Someone just asked in a group this question .
“Is there a way to download theMessage History of a group in a readable format?“


[subject line enhanced by moderator]



Re: Pictures will not show up

Frances
 

Ullmang, have you checked in Activity in Admin?
Member activity, and Message activity.

Frances

--

FAQ on Moving from YahooGroups

https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki

https://groups.io/static/help
More help: use the search button at the top of the Messages list.

Re: Pictures will not show up

Bruce Bowman
 

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 11:38 AM, Ullman Garrett wrote:
Bruce, I have confirmed that the email address at the end of group messages is the same as her subscription email. I have a picture. Any additional possibilities?

Ullman -- A this point I have to ask the obvious:

Could you have Photos>Permissions set to "subscribers cannot view" in your Settings?

I'm finding it difficult to rectify this possibility with the error message you've passed along, though.

See also https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/35056835#22477. Could this be related?

Regards,
Bruce