Re: Members Unable to Post to Group

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 07:49 pm, Glenn Glazer wrote:
To quibble, though, that's a pun on "file".  The EOF at the end of a Hollerith deck was to indicate that the program ended there, not a file that the program was reading.  That is, the punch card EOF is code EOF, the C style EOF is data.
Per K&R, EOF is an INTEGER, as returned from a function call trying to read a data stream. It is traditionally -1.

It is neither a character nor a data terminator.

Back in the 70s when I first began doing computer programming, Hollerith cards used a string of 9s as an end-of-data indicator.

I apologize to all for continuing this off-topic thread and only do so with the hope of putting an end to it.

Thanks,
The system Help is your friend.  https://groups.io/static/help