Re: Members Unable to Post to Group

Glenn Glazer

On 7/4/2018 15:04, Jim Fisher wrote:
On 3 Jul 2018 at 17:10, Glenn Glazer wrote:

* EOF: End of File, more specifically, a special character placed at the
end of a file so that programs know not to read memory beyond that
point.  It is not specific to Python and started with the C programming
language.
The concept is much older than that. I remember using a special EOF character
(although we didn't call it that) on a 1st generation computer, where input and
output was punched cards only. The character told the machine to stop reading
cards and switch off the card reader. Every program and most input data files
had to end with that character.

Jim Fisher (showing his age) :-)

--

To quibble, though, that's a pun on "file".  The EOF at the end of a Hollerith deck was to indicate that the program ended there, not a file that the program was reading.  That is, the punch card EOF is code EOF, the C style EOF is data.

Best,

Glenn

[ad trimmed by moderator]