Re: Can someone explain to me... unsubscribed for marking a message as spam

Chris Jones

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 06:02 am, Paul Ohio USA wrote:
I would think that it could be programmed to override this and set to "No Email." Sent a note to the member and owners to rectify the situation. Almost the same as what happens now with sending a rejoin that probably goes to spam & an unsubscribe that goes to the owner.

I will not attempt to guess what can or cannot be (easily?) programmed. Your point about the "rejoin" message is a good one though; in the most recent incidence on the Group for which I am a moderator the alleged spam went to the user's spam box, and started the trouble, while the rejoin message went to his inbox as normal. If it had gone to spam then he wouldn't have known anything until I emailed him separately from any Group influence.

This raises two possibilities (perhaps more), the first being that the member's ESP is entirely capricious in the way it determines something as being spam; the second is that it is not the message from Groups.io per se that upsets it, but something within the email, even the identity (email address) of the originator of the message, i.e. the other member.

It's something of a Donald Rumsfeld moment; we don't know what we don't know.

Or at the very least I don't...