Re: still don't have owner privileges

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 11:05 AM, Lenny McHugh wrote:
I know that my email address is correct. the problem started when  it wanted a password for 2 factor verification.
Lenny -- This is the first time you've mentioned two-factor authentication.

If you have 2FA turned on, "email me a link" will not work.

I entered the incorrect pw.
If you turn on 2FA, you MUST remember both your password and the provided recovery code.

Are you sure you deleted your account password? I didn't realize you could do that with 2FA turned on...if so, it sounds like a bug.

Even when my lists are presented, I am listed as owner. One of the lists I had the other owner downgrade me to member then back to owner and I still only have member access to that group.
Did you start using a different device to access groups.io? If so, 2FA will fail, and you won't be able to log in at all.

I am appending the information from the system help. It's otherwise hard to get to. Generally speaking I do not recommend using 2FA.

Setting up or disabling two-factor authentication

If you log in to Groups.io with your email address and a password, you can set up two-factor authentication to protect your Groups.io account with an extra level of security.

! Important: Once you enable two-factor authentication, you will not be able to log in to Groups.io through a social login (Google or Facebook) or by using the Groups.io function to email you a link to log in.

To set up two-factor authentication:

  1. Display your Account page.
  2. In the left navigation menu, select Security.
  3. On the resulting page, click the Set up two-factor authentication button.
    Note: If you are logged in to Groups.io through Facebook or Google, you cannot set up two-factor authentication. To set up two-factor authentication, you must log out of Groups.io and then log back in using your email address and a password.
  4. In the Enable Two-Factor popup that appears, enter your Groups.io account password and click the Enable button.
  5. On the resulting page:
  • Follow the instructions to configure your authenticator app to receive security codes from Groups.io.
  • Enter the security code from your app.
  • Click the Validate button.

You are returned to the Security page, and a green banner at the top states that two-factor authentication is now set up.

  1. On the Security page, click the View your recovery codes link, and save the resulting list of recovery codes in a safe place. If you lose access to your device and cannot receive two-factor authentication codes, you will need a recovery code to access your Groups.io account.

Note: If the authentication code is lost (for example, if a device is reset to factory settings), and you no longer have your recovery codes, you will need to contact Groups.io Support to be able to log in.

To disable two-factor authentication that you previously set up:

  1. Display your Account page.
  2. In the left navigation menu, select Security.
  3. On the resulting page, click the Disable two-factor authentication button.
  4. In the Verify Disable Two-Factor popup that appears, enter your Groups.io account password and click the Disable button. You are returned to the Security page, and a green banner at the top states that two-factor authentication has been disabled.