Re: Email rejection #smtp510

Malcolm Austen

My pasting if the rejection message has suffered in the rendering here in the web interface so I';; repeat it with some 'escaping' of '@' as --at-- and '=' as --eq-- ...

-----Original Message-----
From: MAILER-DAEMON--at--aol.com
To: aaaaaa--at--aol.com
Sent: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 11:23
Subject: Failure Notice

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<bbbbbb--eq--btinternet.com--at--groups.io>:
510: The group 'bbbbbb--eq--btinternet.com' does not exist. You are subscribed to the following groups: KFHS-members--at--groups.io.

My observations on this:
  1. That email (which is what Groups.io sent out as the from address) should be forwarded to <bbbbbb--at--btinternet.com>.
  2. --eq-- is a valid character in a group name, so how does groups.io decide whether to forward outwards or submit into a group?
  3. Maybe it's an AOL issue but I can't (yet?) see how.
  4. I failed to add the first time round that I have evidence that the subscriber can repl,y just fine when the original address (mine) is not munged on the way through groups.io
Malcolm.