Mute -- topics

Perhaps I've been asleep for a few years... I really don't ever mute a topic; I periodically send out instructions to the group as to how to do it, like every year or so.

I was about to do it again, eg send out instructions, but it appears (?) the mute option has changed...it now conveniently appears at the top of each topic or message, which is great.  But when I try to mute a topic, although it says it's muted, it still displays all messages in that topic when i go back to the message list, etc.  I do have "all messages" selected in the advanced module in my subscription settings, btw.

Is this not working or what in my simplistic way, doing wrong?  Figured I'd ask before sending out new instructions...  thanks.