Re: Bug on uploaded photos

Glenn Glazer

On 12/27/2020 15:51, Bruce Bowman wrote:
On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 06:14 PM, Margo Seegrist wrote:
I'm not sure where I should post this but all the photos being uploaded to albums are showing years in the 1960s range instead of 2020.
Margo -- I'm seeing all photos as having the taken date of 1969-12-3169, no matter when they were uploaded.

I don't know if this is a default for a photo that has no such metadata, or what. Definitely peculiar, as it's not even a valid date.

Does this bug go here, Beta, or where?
All bugs should be reported to beta with a #bug hashtag.

The date 12/31/1969 is very suspicious to me, it is the day before the Unix Epoch. Briefly, all UNIX machines and many others do not store dates internally as something like "12/31/69" but rather as an integer representing the number of seconds since some arbitrary point in time.  The integer is then converted on demand into whatever format the user desires. For UNIX machines, that arbitrary date is midnight UTC on 1/1/1970, which is why I think that this date is particularly interesting, as if someone fed -1 to a date integer.

Best,

Glenn