Re: Merging an account with no-longer-valid Yahoo email address (and no password) with another account #question #changeemail #login #access

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 01:18 PM, Doug Ruth wrote:
As an admin/moderator, I tried changing the email address on the old account to his new msn.com email address, but it says "That email address is already registered."
Correct. If you have a Premium/Enterprise group, you can change someone's email address, but only to an address not already in use. I really don't recommend doing it anyway, because you could affect that person's other subscriptions.

And it seems no one can access/login to the old account, since it has no password and an invalid email address.  Am I correct, or is there a way for either me or him to merge these 2 accounts?
Correct again...in order to merge accounts, you must be able to log into BOTH of them.

If it is not possible, I will probably just delete the old account.  From another post I made the other day, his content (posts, photos) will remain, and remain attributed to him, just not listed as his posts under his new account.
Yes.

But if it is not possible to merge them, it seems like a "feature change" such as the following would permit a merging in such a case:
  1. Allow owner/moderator to modify a member's email address.
    • I realize this has potential for abuse?
    • Maybe only for the case of a bounced email address and no password?
    • Such an account is essentially inaccessible otherwise, so allowing in this case would seem reasonable.
It's already possible to modify a member's email address...if it's unused. You cannot do a merge for him.

Maybe only allow the new email address to be an email address that is already registered? (etc).
I find this proposal difficult to support. Serious abuse potential arises from the possibility of merging two accounts that aren't owned by the same person...thus overwriting one of them and mis-attributing all his content, in every group he belongs to.

Perhaps more important, if you do make this mistake, there is no mechanism by which the "lost" account can be restored.

Check out the new groups.io Help Center and groups.io Owners Manual