Re: Merging one parent group into another #integration #howto #merge

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 03:05 PM, <communications@...> wrote:
I guess I was just hoping that somehow I could find a way to preserve/migrate message from the old group into the new one, perhaps by linking to the old group messages?
You can export the messages in mbox format. See the "export group data" button at the top of your Settings page. After opening the resulting file in a compatible mail client (e.g.: Apple Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird), you can then print the messages to a PDF document and put that in the target group's files area. See https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Moving-to-Groups.io#Uploading-a-message-archive for some slightly outdated information about this.

I did that for several groups that I wanted to help migrate from Yahoo but whose owners were unwilling to give me sufficient permissions to do it the "right" way. It was okay for archival purposes (I guess), but in practice no one seems to have subsequently bothered to download those files, much less use them for anything.

Hope this helps,