Re: Why choose plain text over HTML email?

Glenn Glazer

On 2/16/2020 16:35, Laurence Marks wrote:
Glenn Glazer wrote:
2) While it is true that HTML encoding makes the size of the message larger than plain text, the difference is vanishingly small compared to a single image or attachment, which is orders of magnitude larger than the difference. When all is said and done, HTML is still text, still ASCII characters. <bold>foo</bold>  adds the cost of exactly 13 characters over just typing the word 'foo'. And, as Chris points out, overquoting is also a huge consumer of bandwidth, much greater (especially for long threads) than the number of characters used for HTML tags.

Glenn, the tag was <b>, not <bold>. That adds 7 characters, not 13.

I still use <b> for convenience but the nanny-state editor in Drupal changes it to <strong> when I save.

Larry

I agree, but I am not sure that the difference between 7 and 13 changes the point.

Best,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est