Re: Why choose plain text over HTML email?

Glenn Glazer

On 2/16/2020 10:46, Jim Fisher wrote:
First, I'm not talking about digest but individual messages, but that probably
isn't important. I have my email client set to read all emails, from whatever
source, in plain text. The text is what matters. The main reason for not
reading in HTML is that it can carry malware and I don't want my computer to be
infected that way. I know that form of infection is less common that it once
was, but it is still possible.

The only way this is possible is if the reader clicks on a bad link or attachment. If they do not click on the link it is NOT possible to get Not having links/attachments at all defies the general utility of links/attachments in emails for the sake of an easily avoidable error. It's like banning pencils because someone got poked in the eye with a pencil once.

I recommend this article which lists several very easy ways of detecting phishing in emails:

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/101/2017/06/somethings-phishy-how-to-detect-phishing-attempts/

Others have also pointed out the difficulty of
reading the fonts and colours some people choose. HTML in nearly all cases
simply wastes bandwidth as again others have pointed out, which for people on
slow connections is still of some importance, so I always send in plain text as
well.

I have to admit, I read the bandwidth claims with some incredulity. I live in a rural, mountainous area with substandard internet. I have no problem with the speed of HTML embedded emails.

Perhaps people need to upgrade from their acoustic modems.

Best,

Glenn

[political sig trimmed by moderator]