Re: Why choose plain text over HTML email?

Glenn Glazer

On 2/16/2020 10:06, Steve Hayes wrote:
On 16 Feb 2020 at 8:59, Glenn Glazer wrote:

The inventions of text formatting such as italics and underlining long predate
HTML and are used for technical language requirements (such as story and book
titles), not "embellishment or obscuration [sic]". From a linguist
perspective, these font formats are no different than other "visual tricks"
like punctuation, line spacing and so on, none of which existing in early
English.
And if you really and that, the convention is to indicate _italics_ by
underlining and *bold* with asterisks, and if you export it to and MS word
document, it will convert those into the printable fonts for you.

You might object that exporting and converting is too much schlep, but so is
exporting to an HTML stripper.

I don't think that convention is universal, since I see your italics as underlined:

I don't think the shlep is necessary. In the sample above, I italicized italics and underlined underlining and yet your MUA/browser stripped the formatting off cleanly.

Best,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est