Re: How to send GroupOwner+ messages #groupowner #howto

Tony Moody

Thanks Jim, and Frances.

Yes, How to send messages to members as if coming from the Owner or Moderators.
More or less official memos coming from on high as it were. (good luck with that I hear !)
I need to learn and know how to send such messages to All Members, eg All Mail, Digests,
Special. and no Email .
( Note: One of 'my' groups is now set to not allow No-email , those members have been set
to special Notices.) I'm not sure if this is a good idea.

To my mind it would be good to be able to set both No Email ON and Special Notices ON.

I think I have seen samples on various Groups.io/
[ for instance From: "Sharing_________Secrets@groups.io Group Moderators"
<Sharing__________Secrets@groups.io>
To: Sharing__________Secrets@groups.io
Subject: [Sharing_________eSecrets] Group Guidelines #guidelines ]

Hmm, that is interesting, and I don't understand; the Return Path goes to a bounce facility
And there is no Reply to:

OK,
Tony
_______________________________________

On 10 Jan 2020 at 6:05, Jim Wilson via Groups.Io wrote about :
Subject : Re: [GMF] How to send GroupOwner+ m

I had to check the variables with my test group. The result is that there is no simple method
to do this.

A Special Notice is from the Owner but the reply is to the group. The From line structure is:
[Group Name]@groups.io on behalf of [Owner or Moderator] via Groups.io <[Group
Name]+owner=groups.io@groups.io>

The only current way to do this would be to visit your Members page under Admin, scroll all
the way to the bottom so that all members show on the page (assuming you still have the
default Infinite Scroll in your preferences), then go back to the top, check the checkbox next
to Display Name and then choose Action -> Send Message.

That will definitely send the message to each individual with the From line showing:
[Group Name]+owner@groups.io

Even so, I'm not sure why you would choose to do this rather than simply posting to the
group. Depending on your member count, you would invite a potential onslaught of
messages that could last for weeks.

br
Jim