Re: Problem replying in Thunderbird using message footer link #reply-to-group

West Coast Compañeros Staff

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 05:50 PM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
On 10/19/2019 17:05, West Coast Compañeros Staff wrote:

Pablo,

I tried starting Thunderbird in Safe Mode, with all Add-ons disabled, but the behavior of the Reply links is unchanged. This tells me that Add-ons are not the cause of the problem. Thanks for letting me know that upgrading to TB 68.x does not solve the problem either. I'm in no hurry to move to that version in the midst of all the other chaos of transferring nine Yahoo! Groups to Groups.io.

Robert R.
_._,_._,_
Like Duane, I don't understand why one would think that the link would work with trimming and like Duane, I suggest in in Thunderbird (which I also use, version 60.9.0) that you do the mark and reply trick, as I have done here.

The Reply-to-Group link looks like this for this thread:
a target=3D"_blank" href=3D"mailto:GroupManagersForum@groups.io?subject===3DRe:%20Re%3A%20%5BGMF%5D%20Problem%20replying%20in%20Thunderbird%20using=%20message%20footer%20link%20%23reply-to-group">Reply To Group</a>
That's an HTML encoded mailto link, no different really from a mailto link one might find on a contact page on some website.

Importantly, it has to work with every Mail User Agent (MUA) that displays it, not just Thunderbird. Snipped responses are not, if I recall correctly, part of the IETF standard for MUAs, so that isn't how the mailto link behaves. In fact, I'm pretty sure the Gmail web UI doesn't support that.

In short, it doesn't work because it's not supposed to work that way.

Best,

Glenn

Glenn,

Your comments clarify nicely the function of the HTML code for the footer Reply links. I discovered that for myself when I inspected that code and I've moved past my expectation that quoted text would be loaded into the reply message. What had originally led me to believe that Thunderbird was trying to do that was the new TB tab that opens up along with the reply message. That tab is labeled "Loading ..." and remains there doing nothing until you close it. That seems to be a bug in Thunderbird, and it is that TB behavior that Pablo and I have been investigating. My message to Pablo (quoted above) should have made that clearer to the group. My bad. The bug seems to be alive and well in the latest version of TB and does not seem to be caused by Add-ons. As a TB bug, it is probably not an issue that we need to continue discussing in GMF.

Robert R.