Re: Groups.io site updates #changelog

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 11:12 AM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 08:51 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 02:37 AM, Lena wrote:
I wonder why implement Upload Folder at all because while uploading to Files or Photos you can select several files with Shift-click or Ctrl-click.
...or Ctrl-A to select all.

I was thinking I would be able to select several folders...or a folder having subfolders...creating some directory structure in one go (an occasionally-asked-for feature). I also thought it would only send one notification.

As implemented, it doesn't seem to add any new functionality at all.

The system Help is your friend.  https://groups.io/static/help
I agree that this looks like a solution looking for a problem and does still has several rough edges.

On the other hand, my testing shows that while it doesn't show what files are in the directory you select, it does later advise how many files there are.

As far as sub-directories are concerned, I was something surprised to see that it DOES include sub-directories as folders and includes files there as well. At least it did it for the initial one level deep test that I did.

I think the sub-directory feature is susceptible to misuse, accidental or otherwise. In fact, I am trying a test now where I pointed to a directory with 184 files (260 MBytes) and 33 sub-directories and started it off. It is merrily uploading files and despite the UI box staying up, pressing Cancel only closes the dialog box but does not stop the upload process.

I am letting it go to see where / if it stops. In the mean time, although it is at 20% uploaded and counting, no files have yet shown up on the group and no announcement emails have been sent out. I'll check back later and advise how it ended. Since my internet is only 1 mbps upload, this could be a while.

There is also an additional issue in that the description entered when selecting the directory cannot be seen after the upload is complete. At least I could not find how to view it.

 --
Gerald
Follow up.

- All 184 files and 33 folders (including sub-directories) were correctly uploaded to the Files area.

- 184 notifications were emailed out. Hotmail (Outlook) accounts received all 184 emails. GMAIL only delivered 74 emails. I presume this is a GMAIL issue. Hopefully, GMAIL isn't going to start blocking GIO now.

- The file links in the emails are not correctly formed. They are missing the subdirectory structure, so only files in the top directory have usable links.

https://GROUPNAME.groups.io/g/main/files/TOPFOLDERNAME/FILENAME.EXTENSION

It sure makes it easy to make a mess of things. If this feature does stay, it seems we are missing the reverse function and that is to be able to download the directory. I would much rather see users zipping files together and uploading a zip file instead of this feature.

--
Gerald