Re: Messages to +owner being wrongly routed to the whole group

Bruce Bowman

Could I get a sanity check on why groups.io originally decided to use the +owner convention instead of the -owner one used with Y!G?

I seem to recall it was pretty convoluted, along the lines of:

-- Groups.io wanted to support subgroups (whereas Yahoo Groups does not)
-- Subgroups are implemented via subdomain addressing
-- Hostnames cannot have an underscore, thus
-- We need to use hyphens instead if we want to create a compound subgroup name
-- With the hyphen usurped for another purpose, the plus (+) sign was implemented for +owner messages

Is that pretty close, or did I dream all that?

The system Help is your friend.  https://groups.io/static/help