I've been doing some testing of that function and from what I've seen it works OK but there's a limitation. Here's a summary of what I've found so far:
- Events can be added to a calendar and an RSVP requested.
- Emailed invitees get a link to use the RSVP function which you have to do online (you can't RSVP by email)
- An event can be limited to a certain number of people and if you RSVP within the limit you get confirmation that you are on the event.
- If you RSVP to say you wish to attend and the event is already full, you are added to a wait list and there is a message shown at the top of the screen to confirm this.
- Someone placed on the waitlist is told their position on the list as they are added. I've not seen any way of checking to see if you have moved up the list once you are on it.
- There is an option for the event organiser can email all attendees.
- If an attendee updates their RSVP status to say they will no longer attend, the first person on the waitlist is automatically added and they receive an email to confirm this.
What I have found though is that event waitlists cannot be managed manually by the organiser. So, for example, if you know that a confirmed attendee can no longer attend but they are either unable or unwilling to update their RSVP status to free up a space for someone else, you cannot do it for them. The only way you can effectively add the next person on the waitlist to the event is by adding another space. I have raised this issue with support (ticket 8127 on 28-Jan-19) and received the following response from Mark:
Unfortunately there is currently no way to change RSVPs at the owner level. It's on the TODO list, but I'm not sure when it will happen.
So, I wouldn't bet that this will change anytime soon.
I hope that helps for now.