GroundForge Basics Workshop

Pierre Fouché

Hello Everyone

I am delighted that there is so much interest in getting to know GroundForge. I have some time on Saturday for a GroundForge Basics workshop, so if you've indicated interest to attend during my first call on the Pointfusion forum, (and the time zone suits), please register to attend.

As per Susan's suggestion, please sign in to the meeting on a second/mobile device so that you can do the exercises in real-time on your desktop/laptop.

I intend to introduce you to
  1. The basic Groundforge interface,
  2. The catalogues of grounds that have already been translated into GroundForge samples (including the new catalogue of basic stitches)
  3. How to customise basic stitch variations in these catalogued grounds, and finally
  4. How to save a link to your variations, and print out the pair and thread diagrams so that you can apply your variations in your new projects and easily communicate your variations to your lacemaker friends.

This should give you a functional knowledge of one of GroundForge's basic uses: finding out quickly how a  change in a ground's stitches so that you can apply your own variations in your new projects.

We'll not have time to delve much deeper than that, but I'll show you where to find Veronika's great tutorials if you'd like to practice some of the more advanced features of GF.

I suspect we'll be a large group, so I can't promise you personal attention, but I do intend to take it very slowly with lots of repetition and guided practice, so hopefully, we'll manage.

You are invited to a Zoom meeting.
San Francisco, California, USA: Sat Dec 4, 09:00 / 9:00 am
New York City, New York, USA: Sat Dec 4, 12:00 / 12:00 pm
Toronto, Canada: Sat Dec 4, 12:00 / 12:00 pm
London, UK: Sat Dec 4, 17:00 / 5:00 pm
Amsterdam, Netherlands: Sat Dec 4, 18:00 / 6:00 pm
Berlin, Germany: Sat Dec 4, 18:00 / 6:00 pm
Barcelona, Spain: Sat Dec 4, 18:00 / 6:00 pm
Cape Town, South Africa: Sat Dec 4, 19:00 / 7:00 pm
Auckland, New Zealand: Sun Dec 5, 06:00 / 6:00 am

Register in advance for this meeting:
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcvdeytpjwtGNH8ELSIjpRC2LjJQTY7ENWu

Please note that this invitation is extended only to members of the Pointfusion forum and the Groundforge forum, so If you have friends who might be interested, show them the basics afterwards instead of sharing this link?

I intend to record our fumblings too, but only for the GroundForge development team who seem to find it useful and for any Australian/Asian members of these forums who can't attend due to the time-zone difference. (Please respond to me privately if you'd like to be on the recording permissions list.)

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

See you on Saturday!

Pierre

Ghislaine Cleiren

I look forward to jointly on Saturday
Ghislaine

On Nov 29, 2021, at 12:01 PM, Pierre Fouché <pierre.fouche@...> wrote:

[...]

dolores.baron

Bonjour,

Vous ne faites pas pour vos adhérentes de la France ?

Bien cordialement,
D. Baron

Frederique

Coucou
Pas de problème tu peux t’inscrire ils fixent l’heure sur l’Angleterre.
Bises

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 30 nov. 2021 à 11:37, dolores.baron via groups.io <dolores.baron@...> a écrit :

Bonjour,

Vous ne faites pas pour vos adhérentes de la France ?

Bien cordialement,
D. Baron

Pierre Fouché

Dear Delores (and other GroundForge Forum members from France)

I never realised there were so many French members! You are, of course, welcome to join.

Despite my name, I don't speak a word of French, unfortunately. I am of French Huguenot descent, but like most caucasian South Africans with French names, I speak Afrikaans and identify as Afrikaners. English is my second language.

I am sure you'd be able to follow along if you have a basic English proficiency, most of the demonstrations will be live screen-shares and very visual, so I'm sure you'd be able to follow along and at least get to know the basics of how to navigate and use GroundForge.

The starting time in Paris would be 18h00 on Saturday

Hope to see you there!

Pierre

On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 at 12:37, dolores.baron via groups.io <dolores.baron=laposte.net@groups.io> wrote:
Bonjour,

Vous ne faites pas pour vos adhérentes de la France ?

Bien cordialement,
D. Baron

Frederique

Bonjour Pierre
Pouvez vous enregistrer avec zoom  la séance d’explication grounds de 18h00,
Et nous la diffuser.
Cordialement
Frédérique
Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 30 nov. 2021 à 20:46, Pierre Fouché <pierre.fouche@...> a écrit :

[...]

Potts Jane

D.Baron: non, Pierre le fait pour tout le monde, mais il ne parle pas francais.

On Sat, 4 Dec 2021, 10:23 Potts Jane, <janepotts@...> wrote:
A Frederique, Pierre ne parle pas francais. Le workshop est en anglais. On n'a besoin de plus de anglais pour le comprendre. Il y a plus visuelle.

 Pierre: Just in case you're puzzled Pierre, Frederique would like you to enrol her for your Ground forge workshop. I have told her in my best schoolgirl French that you don't speak French, that the workshop will be in English, that she doesn't need a lot of English to understand it .... Or at least I think that's what I've told her. If not, someone please improve upon my message.
Jane

On Sat, 4 Dec 2021, 09:57 Frederique via groups.io, <bf.proucelle=laposte.net@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Jo Pol

Just saw the recording. First of all a big thanks to Pierre for being an ambassador of GroundForge. I have only two minor remarks to add.

The history of your browser will only work as far as you used the link button. The wand button events are not stored in the browser history. Both buttons have have their own pro-s and con-s.

Another remark is about the buttons [2] and [4] on attached screenshot. Both buttons show additional sets of diagrams. Showing all diagrams at once would overwhelm the computation power of your browser. Still the diagrams are just a tip of the iceberg of all the possible variations.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions.