Topics

how to click Reset button without removing cover

Barry Hansen

It’s a nuisance to remove the top cover from a Griduino to click the Reset button. However, to install a new software update then it requires a double-click. Wouldn’t it be nice if there was a toothpick-sized hole in the top cover in just the right spot.

Here’s a drilling template (attached) for locating where to drill exactly above the Reset button.

  1. Print this PDF – be sure to use “actual size” or “scale 100%” print option.
  2. Trim the paper around the outer line, which should exactly match the groove on the Polycase cover. If it doesn’t match, then the printout was improperly scaled.
  3. Tape the paper onto the cover, aligning it to the groove.
  4. Drill a 1/16th diameter hole or, if you have fat toothpicks, use the next size larger, 5/16” inch.
  5. Be sure you only ever insert non-conductive probes into the hole. Toothpicks are good; paper clips are a Bad Idea. There are power pins very close to that button. It’s a small button and it will take a few tries to find it.

Can someone try this and report back? I’d like feedback on its instructions.

Barry K7BWH

I suspect you mean 5/64” hole not 5/16”. ;-)
Dave

On Oct 26, 2020, at 7:14 PM, Barry Hansen <barry@...> wrote:

[...]

<Manual cutting template for Polycase cover v1.pdf>

Barry Hansen

Ack, exactly right. I meant 5/64, the next slightly larger size than 1/16th. Thanks.

I actually drilled my test cover 5/64 since a burglar broke into my shop and stole my 1/16 drill bit. Nothing else, just the 1/16 bit. Bastard. Anyway, this size works fine and is small enough to visually disappear but I don’t suggest going larger.

Barry K7BWH

On Oct 26, 2020, at 7:42 PM, Dave Miller <ve7hr@...> wrote:

[...]

Works fine Barry,.
On my unit I think slightly more to the right would work even better. I think about 0.040" to the right would center it even better. When I shine a light down mine it seems to show half the button and the rest switch. I suspect there is some tolerance for that.
But it does work.
Now I can finish off the martini that I robbed the toothpick out of the olive ;-)
Thanks Barry for another great update.
Dave
VE7HR

--
72 de Dave
VE7HR

Barry Hansen

Dave, good idea with the flashlight. Agreed that my hole is off slightly to the left. On my unit, I need to nudge the hole 0.025” to the right. I’ll make that change, make a martini so I can get another toothpick, test another cover, and check it into GitHub.

              https://github.com/barry-ha/Griduino/tree/master/hardware

There is some more adjustment slop in how the PCB is screwed onto the bottom cover.

73 Barry K7BWH

[...]

Mark VE7AFZ

Thanks Barry !

I suppose I have a new use for some small plastic RF alignment tools I have had for decades.  I believe they were intended for use in old style IF transformers.

Once I try this I will report back.

73
Mark S
VE7AFZ

On Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 10:23:25 a.m. PDT, Barry Hansen <barry@...> wrote:

[...]

Rod WE7X

I was brave, and made the whole slightly larger.
I used a 2mm 6rill bit....but I have a custom cover

Barry Hansen

Thanks Rod. “2 mm” really isn’t much bigger. (I had to do the math.)

I had suggested 1/16” or 5/56” which is 0.0625 – 0.0781 inches.

2mm is 0.0787 inches, well within a “reasonably small hole” size.

Frankly, almost any size will work fine.

For my next set of custom cases ordered (it will be a long time!), I’ll include a 5/64 hole.

Barry K7BWH

I was brave, and made the whole slightly larger.
I used a 2mm 6rill bit....but I have a custom cover

Rod WE7X

Yes Barry,
  I just needed to test your math....
Rod