From: edwaynet@... <edwaynet@...> On Behalf Of N7PHY
Sent: Saturday, October 03, 2020 9:18 AM
To: edwaynet@...
Subject: Re: [edwaynet] Groundhog Day #244

In all seriousness, it is an interesting idea that opens the door to all kinds of useful 'countdown' ideas. For example; days until... VHF contest, logs due date, field day, wife's birthday, etc.

Ed

On 10/3/2020 9:14:15 AM, Gregory Gadbois <n7iadwaham@...> wrote:

Total fun Barry!

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020, 1:58 PM <barry@...> wrote:

For your amusement… Every day is Ground Hog day in my household. It’s hard to tell days apart during months of self-imposed isolation. What’s an engineer to do? I’m glad you asked. Every problem, no  matter how easily solved with a pencil and calendar, can have an engineering solution. So … I built a visual display into Griduino.

I added a “view” to count the span of days from Sunday, Feb 2, 2020 through the current date and time. Whew! Now I have an easy way to tell the days apart!

In case you’re wondering:
“-7h” is the time adjustment from GMT. “8#” is the number of GPS satellites in view.

Happy Groundhog Day #244,

Barry K7BWH

Ed N7PHY

I really like the countdown feature. Could program in contests, meteor events, or maybe even reminders to pickup and move if operating mobile during a contest.
Ed N7PHY

On 10/6/2020 10:31:16 AM, barry@... <barry@...> wrote:

Ed, you have a good idea about making this function fairly general-purpose. I added some examples to my source code to make it easier for the next guy to pick a date and change the screen text.

Here’s an example of “counting up since a previous date”.

Counting up since Groundhog Day

And here’s an example of “counting down to a target date and time” in this case, until 6pm Halloween. Below the date it shows a small h:m:s timer counting down. If I were an over-achiever, I’d add a periodic audible announcement and then sound an alarm when it reaches zero, lol. It’s just a SMOP right? (“simply a matter of programming”)

Counting down until when Halloween children arrive at 6pm

One might note that changing between these example readouts requires the source code to be edited and re-compiled.

Happy Groundhog Day #248

Barry K7BWH

PS – There is a really good web page for “Days to/from”. It has a long list of holidays and events to pick from. It’s beautifully done with separate artwork for each event.

              See  https://days.to/groundhog-day/2020