From: Griduino@groups.io <Griduino@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Miller
Sent: Monday, October 05, 2020 7:53 AM
To: Griduino@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Griduino] Griduino News

Barry,

The cases turned out great. They really finish off the project.

Have you considered adding one small hole in the front of the case so one could use a paperclip to put the unit into bootloader mode?

It should be an easy upgrade to the existing case once you figure out the location.

I love your firmware updates. Keep adding the features.

Thanks

Dave

VE7HR

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 7:18 PM Barry Hansen <barry@...> wrote:

What’s new with Griduino these days?

Case: The custom cases from Polycase turned out great, look nice and turned out well. I like them a lot. I’ll ship new kits with these going forward.

Barometer: I’ve worked hard over the last three weeks to whip the barograph program into shape. It’s finally starting to look like how I think a smart barometric display should be. See screen shot below. This image shows a short white line; it has collected and graphed the most recent four hours of readings. At the moment it’s a standalone example program; when this feature settles down a bit more, I’ll merge it into a new view in the main Griduino program.

Snapshot of working barograph example program

This photo also shows off the perfectly fitted display opening on the custom Polycase.

The barometer updates its display every five minutes (on the dot) and logs the reading every 15 minutes. The vertical scale is automatically adjusted to always enclose the range of data. This photo was taken on 9/30 but the date shows “10/1” because it’s in GMT time zone. You can tap the screen to switch units from metric (hPa) to english (inHg). The red “7#” indicates that 7 satellites are in view, but that doesn’t matter because the real-time clock keeps accurate time without any satellites at all.

To install and run the Barograph program, download the code from GitHub at https://github.com/barry-ha/Griduino/tree/master/examples/Baroduino

Barry K7BWH

--

72 de Dave

VE7HR

I am happy with fit to LCD without any additional spacers.
If one where to use a toothpick or something nonmetallic I don’t see an issue with a hole.

Dave
VE7HR

On Oct 5, 2020, at 8:12 AM, Barry Hansen <barry@...> wrote:

Thanks Dave.

Say, how did the clearance turn out for you between the display surface and the top cover?

I’ve considered some ways to more easily enter bootloader mode. But we can’t allow a paper clip to descend into the mess of Feather board traces and blindly short the 3v pin or other things together. A better solution would be a new PCB with another reset button in a safe corner somewhere by itself. We’re looking at that in our next hardware design. Until then, all I can think of is to hold down the top cover with 2 screws instead of 4.

Barry K7BWH