Re: Making window inserts for Gilbert streamlined passenger cars

Brian4321 W

Hi Walter,

I'm way off as I thought you were trying to build the window itself, not the "glass" for the window.  Please reference Joe's e-mail as I think he has the right idea.  Or, here is another idea:  Window Material Suggestions for Structures and Passenger Cars - Model Railroader Magazine - Model Railroading, Model Trains, Reviews, Track Plans, and Forums

If you do decide to use some sort of plastic, my idea of a grinder would most likely be overkill.  Something smaller, such as a dremel tool would probably be better.

Brian

On Thursday, September 6, 2018, 4:01:39 PM EDT, Walter Bayer II <bayerw2@...> wrote:

Hi Brian,

The window inserts would be clear plastic, probably styrene.

Regards,
Walter

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 2:55 PM Brian <brians_house2@...> wrote:
Hi Walter,

I'm assuming that you are using aluminum, but thought I'd ask.  I've used a grinder for various handyman projects that required detailed work at the corners (rounding, etching, edges, ...) for multiple materials including tile, aluminum and wood.

Brian

On Thursday, September 6, 2018, 2:27:55 PM EDT, al45390 <bayerw2@...> wrote:

Gilbert purist, read no further! I would not want you to have a heart seizure because I am "mutilating" some vintage cars. They weren't in great shape when I bought them.

I am detailing the cars, adding passengers, DC/DCC lighting, new trucks, etc. I need help making windows. I can easily cut the length and width on my mini table saw. The problem is the corners. What tool can I use to make the tight radius corners? A friend suggested a router. Has anyone overcome this problem? How? What tools did you use?

Filing the corners down by hand is possible, but accuracy and uniformity are hard to achieve with hand tools. Plus doing four corners on each window is a daunting proposition.

Thanks for your help.

Walter

P.S.: I am cross posting this on a few sites. Sorry if that annoys anyone. Please bear with me.

Join GilbertHOtrains@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.