Re: New parts...

Daryl Olszeski

Joe,

Fantastic!!! Exciting to see your progress for a guy like me who has a manufacturing background.  I'm sure in time you'll get the trapped air issue corrected.  When I used to deal with my die-cast suppliers they used to tell me that every casting has trapped air (porosity).  The trick is to design the process so that the porosity ends up in a place where it does no harm.  Good luck Joe and keep it up buddy!  I'm looking forward to your future updates.

Daryl

On 7/5/2018 7:41 PM, Joe King via Groups.Io wrote:
Hey guys. Hope everyone had a safe holiday. I wanted to give you an update on the new parts I've been working on. I found out the hard way that there's a HUGE learning curve when it comes to mold making and casting. I went ahead and jumped in with both feet. After a couple of oh crap and wtf moments, i think i finally have a handle on this and with a few more adjustments to my molds, I should have some usable parts shortly. The ALCO railings are going to need another mold made since the last mold has a defect. I'm chasing down trapped air in the ALCO horn, tank car chassis and chemical car platform molds which is preventing me from achieving a perfect cast.

Here's some pictures for you of my scrap plastic... You can see in a few of the parts the trapped air problems.

Talk to you soon...
Joe

Join GilbertHOtrains@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.