To: GaRRHistory@...
From: briantovey123@...
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 20:51:59 +0000
Subject: [GaRRHistory] New Guy

I thought it was time i made my self known.
I`m here because i`ve developed an interest in the G&F and two other shorlines
the GN and the GAS&C.I hope to model these in Proto 48/O scale,along with some
Southern rly equipment.
I have way more questions than answers,but hopefully some of these will be
answered soon as i`ve brought the (only two?)books on the G&F,namley
Railroad through the wire grass,and Georgia & Florida Railroad album.

CD,
I posted a question simillar to yours on the Proto 48 Group and got the
following repsonse.

Brian,

Having worked for several Class I railroads, I can give you a few scenarios.
 Usually the black paint is a thick mixture sometimes referred to as "black car
cement" that protects parts of a freight car that might be especially subjected
to the elements. Â That would be the ends, roof, and underbody. Â Some
possibilities:Â
* Possibly the cars painted with the black car cement are an experiment of
sorts to compare the wear and tear against cars without the treatment, and then
compute the added cost vs. non-treatment
* A railroad might have decided that the cost was excessive so the builder was
told to stop. Â Cars are not necessarily built in the order of the railroad's
number series
* A new CMO (Chief Mechanical Officer) may not like the process and ordered it
stopped while the painting process was on-going
* A merger may be pending and the primary partner may have different standards
causing the secondary partner to change their standards in anticipation of ICC
approval of the merger
There are numerous explanations, but these are what come to mind off the top of
my head. Â I can tell you that many times, railroads made significant strategic
decisions that were often "off the cuff" and without any application of
scientific method.Â

Jim Wolf
Belen, NM

It`s not definative,but does give an explination,sort of!.

Brian Tovey,UK.