[GaRRHistory] G&F Passenger Cars

Warren Stephens

Did it say what year that TVRM got the coach? I think that in the early years, they acquired stuff and no one thought to write it down. I don't think they were any better at recording when they divested themselves of an unwanted item. The old guard has passed away and much of this sort of info went with them. If it is still in their collection, it could be in a satellite storage area not easily visited. I would email their president Tim Andrews. He has been around there for years. If the coach is gone, he could give you a good idea where it went.

Warren D. Stephens
CofG and TA&G fan

On Jan 18, 2013, at 8:49 AM, Chris Dills <cddx@...> wrote:

A few questions;

1. In the 1943 Official Register of Passenger Train Equipment, it lists the G&F as having two 72' 62-Passenger coaches. This seems a little strange as there are also 60' coaches listed as 62-Passengers also. Do any of you know anything about these cars, and whether they had four or six wheel trucks? And would these have been the normal clerestory roof fair that was common on the G&F? Or could they have had a arch/round roof?

2. Alan Lind's book on the St Louis Car Company indicates that the G&F bought the trailer coaches for both the #40 and #41 Vulcan units. This would seem unlikely as passenger train service ended in 1949 on the G&F. So I really can't see the necessity of buying them in 1955. Can any of you confirm that Lind's statement in the book is correct?

3. There were two Pullman observation cars purchased in 1955 by the G&F. The first car, Mt Hillers, became the G&F 's second #100 business car. According to Pullman records, it was in the worst shape of the two. According to Langley's book, the second car, Mountain Road was put into MOW service then later donated to the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum. Do any of you know what happened to the car?  I have not been able to locate it at TVRM or find anyone that knows anything about this.

THANKS!

Chris Dills <cddx@...>

Warren,

I don't remember seeing anything about a date. I'm guessing by 1962 or 1963 at the latest as the Southern demolished the shops at that point and got rid of the older equipment like the Vulcan, both EMC switchers, and a lot of old derelict cars including the wrecker and it's accompanying work cars and flat.

Seems like a lot of $$$$ was spent in 1955, not sure if this was from a loan or money gained from scrapping the steamers?

To: GaRRHistory@...