Topics

Yahoo info about Yahoo groups

Matt Hosford

All,

Not sure if everyone from our old G&D Yahoo group received this email but for those who did not and/or are interested in what is happining in Yahoo Groups.  I recieved this email as to where Yahoo Groups is heading.......

Dear Group Moderators and Members,

Thank you for your commitment to Yahoo and for helping us define the power of digital communities. Eighteen years ago, we combined the functionality of a site called eGroups.com with a precursor community platform called Yahoo Clubs to launch Yahoo Groups. Since then, you and millions of others have helped prove our hypothesis, by creating and joining more than 10 Million groups.

A lot has changed about the Internet since 2001, including the ways most people now use Yahoo Groups. Today, most Yahoo Groups activity happens in your email inbox, not on the bulletin boards where Yahoo Groups started in the pre-smartphone age. Increasingly, people want content and connections coming directly to them, and this is why we continue to invest in Yahoo Mail -- including the recent launch of a new Yahoo Mail app that is currently the highest-rated email app in the App Store and Google Play.

So, as our users’ habits have evolved, we have begun the process of evolving our approach to help active Yahoo Groups thrive and migrate to our email platform. To help you plan for these changes, below is the schedule of how this transition will happen.

Beginning October 28, 2019:

  • Users will be able to join a Yahoo Group only through an invite from the Group Moderator or by submitting a request to join a Group, which requires approval by the Group Moderator.
  • Since we are moving Group communication from posting on message boards to email distribution, uploading and hosting of new content will also be disabled on the Yahoo Groups website.

Beginning December 14, 2019:

  • All Groups will be made private and any content that was previously uploaded via the website will be removed. We believe privacy is critical and made this decision to better align with our overall principles.
  • If you would like to keep any of the content you’ve posted or stored in the past within your Yahoo Group, please download it by December 14 by accessing this link.

As these dates get closer, we will send follow-up reminders. More information about the upcoming changes can be found here.

While this evolution of Yahoo Groups is inspired by how we see the platform being used today, we know change can be difficult. Here are a few important facts as we make this transition:

1. Yahoo Groups is not going away - We know that our users are deeply passionate about connecting around shared interests, and we are evolving Groups to better align with how you use it today.

2. New groups can still be formed - Users can continue to connect with others around their common bonds and interests. From animal rescues to sporting and activity groups, civic organizations to local PTAs, members of our Yahoo Groups will remain connected and able to share their activities and interests. All of the content that you have shared previously on the website, can continue to be shared via email.

We know that Yahoo Groups is an important online extension of your real-life group of friends, interests and communities, and we are committed to supporting communities that rely on Yahoo Groups. Thanks for coming along with us this far. We look forward to seeing where the technology -- and you -- take us in the decades to come.

Sincerely,
The Groups Team

--
Matt Hosford
Wurn & Whythyrd Lines

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Hi Matt,

Yes, I received that email, too, and was going to mention it. Glad we made the move to IO Groups!

I'm going to delete my Yahoo account. I definitely prefer my own ISP (vs. free gmail, msn or AOL) for processing and pushing my email. I also like having aliases so that, if my email address is misused for spam, etc., I have some idea of where they got. I can then change the alias and not have to update (or delete) every vendor, etc. I deal with.

I don’t understand how Yahoo thinks they can cut and change services, delete content and make all email groups private and still think people will use their services.

I’ve had my same Yahoo email address since 1997 or so, I’ve always been willing to pay a reasonable amount for a good email service but could never understand how Yahoo could expect anyone to pay for the Yahoo Plus email when they have treated their free customers so badly.

They have been around a long time, most other free email providers are gone, but if they just treated their users better they could have turned many more into customers!

On Nov 2, 2019, at 9:43 AM, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:

Hi Matt,

Yes, I received that email, too, and was going to mention it. Glad we made the move to IO Groups!

I'm going to delete my Yahoo account. I definitely prefer my own ISP (vs. free gmail, msn or AOL) for processing and pushing my email. I also like having aliases so that, if my email address is misused for spam, etc., I have some idea of where they got. I can then change the alias and not have to update (or delete) every vendor, etc. I deal with.

John Hagen

I totally agree Yahoo is basically crapplng on all its users. But then, as mentioned, so is everyone else. I have absolutely no love for Yahoo but I also use Yahoo for email and have done so since the middle 90's. And, really, for many years Yahoo gave us an absolutely great platform for our groups. But that was then and this is now. Nowadays, giving a service or product away for free and expecting to make money on your customers using your for profit product's is past. If a provider can make any profit, it is not sufficient to make Stockholders happy. Plus, truth be told, the majority of the general public does have any real product loyalty. They will always seek the cheapest product and go there. This is the world we live in, like it or not. I have so far been able to stay with Yahoo's free email but it that becomes impossible I will use their "plus" service rather than having to have a new email after 24 years. My brother still uses his original AOL email.

--
John Hagen

Matt Hosford

Just following up on this topic....

Darryl posted this in the Hon3 narrow gauge forum.

yahoo download content how to info

Sorry, to have thrown this up there and not replied.....I have been away in Georgia at my daughters wedding.......It was wonderful but glad to be home......
--
Matt Hosford
Wurn & Whythyrd Lines