Topics

Yahoo Closing Groups

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Hi Dale,

Thanks for the info. Leaves me scratching my head when I see $3 billion in annual revenue for the last 4 or 5 years and stock price going from $50 to $240 per stock. I must be looking at the wrong stock.

The photos section says, "Using 783.9 MB of maximum 100 GB. 1186 photos uploaded so far." We're a long ways from running out of photo space. Do they start dining us when we go over the 1 GB limit?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against moving to IO.

Tom

randyleedecker@...

Could the lack of our ability to download photographs on this page be a heads up to Yahoo groups?     I have been waiting and wondering if Pat is going to move this group on to a new page or have ANYTHING to say at all...   I was waiting like the rest of us to hear from PAt but he is silent once again... to me this seems odd, at this point? 

So this trouble loading photo's poses to questions for me perhaps it is worthy of discussion... 

Query #1...  How many days where the photo download feature was not working has occurred in the past?    Not looking for an exact day or hour...  just in general. 
  I am still relatively new to this group so perhaps it has seen this kind of trouble in the past.    This is day 5 now that I can't download a few photos and I know the photo features work as you can delete old photos with no trouble...   and you can download from your computer like normal but when you hit  "Post Photos" nothing happens.  It seems they are being routed to an automatic recycle bin.... 

Query #2 ..  If we go to a new group and Pat sends us over. Do we all need to apply to this new group again...?   THis is not a problem..  But it will be a problem of NO ONE IS THERE TO DO THIS TASK.... If you see my simple point.  ?  
  I'd like to ask PAT...?  will you to go through a process to accept new membership from all of us if this is required.. and if this is not the case does he plan to keep up with any new memberships in the future.  I have spoken with four gentlemen now who knew John and were and still are aid model railroaders and they have submitted requests to join.    but no response.   Seems if you have a site perhaps there is a level of burnout after so many years of keeping up with things.   

I think your input is welcome Pat and needed at this point.   it would be nice to say hello since the Facebook Nazi's will not let me begin another page for myself after leaving them.  I guess they take those things personally.

Randy   

Michael Rozeboom

On 2019-03-04 10:16 a.m., randyleedecker@... [GandD] wrote:

Could the lack of our ability to download photographs on this page be a heads up to Yahoo groups?     I have been waiting and wondering if Pat is going to move this group on to a new page or have ANYTHING to say at all...   I was waiting like the rest of us to hear from PAt but he is silent once again... to me this seems odd, at this point? 

So this trouble loading photo's poses to questions for me perhaps it is worthy of discussion... 

Query #1...  How many days where the photo download feature was not working has occurred in the past?    Not looking for an exact day or hour...  just in general. 
  I am still relatively new to this group so perhaps it has seen this kind of trouble in the past.    This is day 5 now that I can't download a few photos and I know the photo features work as you can delete old photos with no trouble...   and you can download from your computer like normal but when you hit  "Post Photos" nothing happens.  It seems they are being routed to an automatic recycle bin.... 

Query #2 ..  If we go to a new group and Pat sends us over. Do we all need to apply to this new group again...?   THis is not a problem..  But it will be a problem of NO ONE IS THERE TO DO THIS TASK.... If you see my simple point.  ?  
  I'd like to ask PAT...?  will you to go through a process to accept new membership from all of us if this is required.. and if this is not the case does he plan to keep up with any new memberships in the future.  I have spoken with four gentlemen now who knew John and were and still are aid model railroaders and they have submitted requests to join.    but no response.   Seems if you have a site perhaps there is a level of burnout after so many years of keeping up with things.   

I think your input is welcome Pat and needed at this point.   it would be nice to say hello since the Facebook Nazi's will not let me begin another page for myself after leaving them.  I guess they take those things personally.

Usually a move over to Groups.io is pretty seamless from the user standpoint.  You get an email telling you that you are now a member of this group, and that is pretty well everything you need to do.

About the only action you will need to take is editing your filters so the new messages go to the right place, if you are using filters.

--

Michael Rozeboom

Team Amiga

DCC Wiki Admin

William Butler

One of the Yahoo Groups that I belong to moved to Groups.IO.  You had to resubmit in order to join.   Anyone in this group can create the new group on IO though it would be best if several people were moderators.   Moving items from here would require copying and posting at the new group.
Regards,
Bill

Joseph Melhorn

Randy,
I did a search of Groups.io for "GandD" and it is not taken. I went ahead
and created it so we would have access to it should this group decide to
migrate to Groups.io. These is a 24 hour wait for approval of the group
creation. I would be happy to transfer ownership to whomever, if and when
the move is about to take place. On another group I subscribe to there was
mention of a program that could "archive" content from a Yahoo group. If I
remember correctly that included messages, files and pictures. Perhaps that
would be an option to consider, doing it ourselves. I do not wish to "step"
on anyone else's toes here, just trying to get the ball rolling.
Thanks,
Joe Melhorn
Sahuarita, AZ

Could the lack of our ability to download photographs on this page be a
heads up to Yahoo groups? I have been waiting and wondering if Pat is
going to move this group on to a new page or have ANYTHING to say at all...
I was waiting like the rest of us to hear from PAt but he is silent once
again... to me this seems odd, at this point?

So this trouble loading photo's poses to questions for me perhaps it is
worthy of discussion...

Query #1... How many days where the photo download feature was not
working has occurred in the past? Not looking for an exact day or hour...
just in general.

I am still relatively new to this group so perhaps it has seen this kind
of trouble in the past. This is day 5 now that I can't download a few
photos and I know the photo features work as you can delete old photos with
no trouble... and you can download from your computer like normal but when
you hit "Post Photos" nothing happens. It seems they are being routed to
an automatic recycle bin....

Query #2 .. If we go to a new group and Pat sends us over. Do we all need
to apply to this new group again...? THis is not a problem.. But it will
be a problem of NO ONE IS THERE TO DO THIS TASK.... If you see my simple
point. ?

I'd like to ask PAT...? will you to go through a process to accept new
membership from all of us if this is required.. and if this is not the case
does he plan to keep up with any new memberships in the future. I have
spoken with four gentlemen now who knew John and were and still are aid
model railroaders and they have submitted requests to join. but no
response. Seems if you have a site perhaps there is a level of burnout
after so many years of keeping up with things.

I think your input is welcome Pat and needed at this point. it would be
nice to say hello since the Facebook Nazi's will not let me begin another
page for myself after leaving them. I guess they take those things
personally.

Randy

Messages in this topic (58)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yahoo Groups Links

------------------------------------------------------------------------

randyleedecker@...

OK 1 week now and still no ability to load photo's.   what is more disturbing is No responses..?  perhaps I am not getting them or the page is not letting me see them?  who knows anymore...        Let me repeat that....me repeat that... repeat that... repeat that... repeat that... .echo... echo... echo... echo...  No responses..... sponses..... sponses... sponses  ....  

lol  

And there still is ""No Pat""  (even after repeated attempts to ask him to step ion or even just say hello..)     I mean this is his page right..  he began this thing....  ?     Anyone want to let me in on the gag?    Anyone want to stick the stake in this poor thing?     

Randy  

Bob Friddle

Have we heard from moderator Daryl Huffman?

Bob

Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2019 6:12 AM
To: GandD@...
Subject: [GandD] Re: Yahoo Closing Groups

One of the Yahoo Groups that I belong to moved to Groups.IO.  You had to resubmit in order to join.   Anyone in this group can create the new group on IO though it would be best if several people were moderators.   Moving items from here would require copying and posting at the new group.

Regards,

Bill

John Hagen

It’s not  that difficult.

Groups.io has a program that makes it quite easy, well, easier than one would think.

The members are transferred, the files and photos can be done through groups.io without coping and pasting.

I am members of several groups that did this. The only time there was problems was if there were no current owner of the Yahoo group. This must be done by the owner per Yahoo regulations. If not, then a new groups.io group must be formed and all files, photos and membership names only must be copied and pasted. And the members must physically join the new group, which is really easy to do.

I do wish this will be done here as I am very concerned about what will happen to Yahoo Groups.

John Hagen

Regards,

Bill

Randy Decker <randyleedecker@...>

TRYING to get PAT right now...    but am about done trying.  I am just a member like the rest of us..  I am only being vocal about it all as I have tried to load photo's and have never seen this level of blockage in doing so before.  I think (myself) that the writing on the wall is something to pay attention to this time.   

Thanks for grabbing that name..    Let me see if I can get PAT one more time.  We will have to all chip in and make an account and give Pat some money to work with if there is in fact a monthly/yearly charge now.  We can't expect him to do it all....   IMHO

Randy

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 10:51 AM 'Joe Melhorn' toyman@... [GandD] <GandD@...> wrote:

Randy,
I did a search of Groups.io for "GandD" and it is not taken. I went ahead
and created it so we would have access to it should this group decide to
migrate to Groups.io. These is a 24 hour wait for approval of the group
creation. I would be happy to transfer ownership to whomever, if and when
the move is about to take place. On another group I subscribe to there was
mention of a program that could "archive" content from a Yahoo group. If I
remember correctly that included messages, files and pictures. Perhaps that
would be an option to consider, doing it ourselves. I do not wish to "step"
on anyone else's toes here, just trying to get the ball rolling.
Thanks,
Joe Melhorn
Sahuarita, AZ

Could the lack of our ability to download photographs on this page be a
heads up to Yahoo groups? I have been waiting and wondering if Pat is
going to move this group on to a new page or have ANYTHING to say at all...
I was waiting like the rest of us to hear from PAt but he is silent once
again... to me this seems odd, at this point?

So this trouble loading photo's poses to questions for me perhaps it is
worthy of discussion...

Query #1... How many days where the photo download feature was not
working has occurred in the past? Not looking for an exact day or hour...
just in general.

I am still relatively new to this group so perhaps it has seen this kind
of trouble in the past. This is day 5 now that I can't download a few
photos and I know the photo features work as you can delete old photos with
no trouble... and you can download from your computer like normal but when
you hit "Post Photos" nothing happens. It seems they are being routed to
an automatic recycle bin....

Query #2 .. If we go to a new group and Pat sends us over. Do we all need
to apply to this new group again...? THis is not a problem.. But it will
be a problem of NO ONE IS THERE TO DO THIS TASK.... If you see my simple
point. ?

I'd like to ask PAT...? will you to go through a process to accept new
membership from all of us if this is required.. and if this is not the case
does he plan to keep up with any new memberships in the future. I have
spoken with four gentlemen now who knew John and were and still are aid
model railroaders and they have submitted requests to join. but no
response. Seems if you have a site perhaps there is a level of burnout
after so many years of keeping up with things.

I think your input is welcome Pat and needed at this point. it would be
nice to say hello since the Facebook Nazi's will not let me begin another
page for myself after leaving them. I guess they take those things
personally.

Randy

Messages in this topic (58)

----------------------------------------------------------
Yahoo Groups Links

----------------------------------------------------------

Matt Hosford

Same here on photo posts nada….I did respond to your Port Photo conversation…

Matt Hosford
Wurn & Whythyrd Lines

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, March 6, 2019 11:52 AM

OK 1 week now and still no ability to load photo's.   what is more disturbing is No responses..?  perhaps I am not getting them or the page is not letting me see them?  who knows anymore...        Let me repeat that....me repeat that... repeat that... repeat that... repeat that... .echo... echo... echo... echo...  No responses..... sponses..... sponses... sponses  ....  

lol  

And there still is ""No Pat""  (even after repeated attempts to ask him to step ion or even just say hello..)     I mean this is his page right..  he began this thing....  ?     Anyone want to let me in on the gag?    Anyone want to stick the stake in this poor thing?     

Randy  

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Bruce Wilson

Transferring is easy and painless.  The only change is now groups.io is requesting the group owner become a premium subscriber for a period of one year to help offset the costs of all of the work behind the scenes reacting to yahoo move to keep the transfer functional.

https://groups.io/yahootransfer

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Life Member    NMRA
Member    Scale 7 Group    Gauge 0 Guild  7mmNGA
On 3/6/2019 11:18, 'John Hagen' sprinthag@... [GandD] wrote:

Groups.io has a program that makes it quite easy, well, easier than one would think.

The members are transferred, the files and photos can be done through groups.io without coping and pasting.

I am members of several groups that did this. The only time there was problems was if there were no current owner of the Yahoo group. This must be done by the owner per Yahoo regulations. If not, then a new groups.io group must be formed and all files, photos and membership names only must be copied and pasted. And the members must physically join the new group, which is really easy to do.

I do wish this will be done here as I am very concerned about what will happen to Yahoo Groups.

John Hagen

Dale Smith

Darryl Huffman does not appear to be a moderator any longer.  Either Pat removed him or Darryl removed himself from that role.  He is still a member though.  You can see a list of members and moderators by clicking on the text at the top of the group page where it says "1433 members."  For Moderators, click on that tab.  Email addresses are not disclosed at least to non moderators.   I will make another update of the group on PGOffline for backup, in case the group disappears. 

As a side note, there are a huge number of members (218) of this group who don't get the messages anymore because their emails are bouncing.   As to Pat, I think he put this group on auto-pilot and is occupied with other things right now.   The problems with photo loading have plagued other groups periodically and that is a Yahoo issue.  He and Daryl are not among the bouncing emails, but they may have opted for no emails or notifications only (which only moderators can send) and may not be seeing these messages.

I don't make many posts, but like many of the other 1433 members (minus the 218), I enjoy reading other's insights into John's work of art. 

Dale Smith

On 3/6/2019 8:09 AM, 'Friddle, Bob' bob.friddle@... [GandD] wrote:

Bob

Regards,

Bill

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Dale Smith

One addendum to this message.  I checked again and Darryl Huffman has two email addresses listed and contrary to what I said below one of them is bouncing.

Dale Smith

On 3/6/2019 10:33 AM, Dale Smith wrote:

Darryl Huffman does not appear to be a moderator any longer.  Either Pat removed him or Darryl removed himself from that role.  He is still a member though.  You can see a list of members and moderators by clicking on the text at the top of the group page where it says "1433 members."  For Moderators, click on that tab.  Email addresses are not disclosed at least to non moderators.   I will make another update of the group on PGOffline for backup, in case the group disappears. 

As a side note, there are a huge number of members (218) of this group who don't get the messages anymore because their emails are bouncing.   As to Pat, I think he put this group on auto-pilot and is occupied with other things right now.   The problems with photo loading have plagued other groups periodically and that is a Yahoo issue.  He and Daryl are not among the bouncing emails, but they may have opted for no emails or notifications only (which only moderators can send) and may not be seeing these messages.

I don't make many posts, but like many of the other 1433 members (minus the 218), I enjoy reading other's insights into John's work of art. 

Dale Smith

Bob

Regards,

Bill

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Russell Courtenay

Darryl lives nearby and doesn't want to take an active role in the group (hasn't since I've been a member 10+ years) so I think you're right, the group is on auto pilot. 

Russell Courtenay

On Mar 6, 2019, at 11:40 AM, Dale Smith dalefsmith@... [GandD] <GandD@...> wrote:

One addendum to this message.  I checked again and Darryl Huffman has two email addresses listed and contrary to what I said below one of them is bouncing.

Dale Smith

On 3/6/2019 10:33 AM, Dale Smith wrote:

Dale Smith

Bob

Regards,

Bill

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Dale Smith

That is true, but you need an owner or at least a moderator with sufficient privileges to do it and this group has neither. The owner may have abandoned the group as he has not responded to numerous inquiries about this.

Dale Smith
--------------------------------------------

On Wed, 3/6/19, Bruce Wilson wilsonbrucea@... [GandD] <GandD@...> wrote:

Subject: Re: [GandD] Re: Yahoo Closing Groups
Date: Wednesday, March 6, 2019, 10:03 AM

Transferring is easy and painless.  The only
change is now
groups.io is requesting the group owner become a
premium
subscriber for a period of one year to help offset the
costs of
all of the work behind the scenes reacting to yahoo
move to keep
the transfer functional.

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Life Member NMRA
Member Scale 7 Group Gauge 0 Guild 7mmNGA
On 3/6/2019 11:18, 'John Hagen' sprinthag@...
[GandD] wrote:

It’s not  that
difficult.
Groups.io has a
program that makes it quite
easy, well, easier than one would think.
The members are
transferred, the files and
photos can be done through groups.io without
coping and
pasting.
I am members of
several groups that did
this. The only time there was problems was if
there were no
current owner of the Yahoo group. This must be
done by the
owner per Yahoo regulations. If not, then a new
groups.io
group must be formed and all files, photos and
membership
names only must be copied and pasted. And the
members must
physically join the new group, which is really
easy to do.
I do wish this
will be done here as I am
very concerned about what will happen to Yahoo
Groups.
John Hagen

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913 --
#yiv1702498913ygrp-mkp {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px
0;padding:0 10px;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913ygrp-mkp hr {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913ygrp-mkp #yiv1702498913hd {
color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px
0;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913ygrp-mkp #yiv1702498913ads {
margin-bottom:10px;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913ygrp-mkp .yiv1702498913ad {
padding:0 0;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913ygrp-mkp .yiv1702498913ad p {
margin:0;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913ygrp-mkp .yiv1702498913ad a {
color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913ygrp-sponsor
#yiv1702498913ygrp-lc {
font-family:Arial;}

#yiv1702498913ygrp-lc #yiv1702498913hd {
margin:10px
0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}

#yiv1702498913ygrp-lc .yiv1702498913ad {
margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913actions {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913activity {
background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913activity span {
font-weight:700;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913activity span:first-child {
text-transform:uppercase;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913activity span a {
color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913activity span span {
color:#ff7900;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913activity span
.yiv1702498913underline {
text-decoration:underline;}

#yiv1702498913 .yiv1702498913attach {
clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px
0;width:400px;}

#yiv1702498913 .yiv1702498913attach div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1702498913 .yiv1702498913attach img {
border:none;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv1702498913 .yiv1702498913attach label {
display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}

#yiv1702498913 .yiv1702498913attach label a {

#yiv1702498913 blockquote {
margin:0 0 0 4px;}

#yiv1702498913 .yiv1702498913bold {
font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1702498913 .yiv1702498913bold a {

#yiv1702498913 dd.yiv1702498913last p a {
font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1702498913 dd.yiv1702498913last p span {
margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1702498913 dd.yiv1702498913last p
span.yiv1702498913yshortcuts {
margin-right:0;}

#yiv1702498913 div.yiv1702498913attach-table div div a {

#yiv1702498913 div.yiv1702498913attach-table {
width:400px;}

#yiv1702498913 div.yiv1702498913file-title a, #yiv1702498913
div.yiv1702498913file-title a:active, #yiv1702498913
div.yiv1702498913file-title a:hover, #yiv1702498913
div.yiv1702498913file-title a:visited {

#yiv1702498913 div.yiv1702498913photo-title a,
#yiv1702498913 div.yiv1702498913photo-title a:active,
#yiv1702498913 div.yiv1702498913photo-title a:hover,
#yiv1702498913 div.yiv1702498913photo-title a:visited {

#yiv1702498913 div#yiv1702498913ygrp-mlmsg
#yiv1702498913ygrp-msg p a span.yiv1702498913yshortcuts {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}

#yiv1702498913 .yiv1702498913green {
color:#628c2a;}

#yiv1702498913 .yiv1702498913MsoNormal {
margin:0 0 0 0;}

#yiv1702498913 o {
font-size:0;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913photos div {
float:left;width:72px;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913photos div div {
border:1px solid
#666666;min-height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913photos div label {
color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913reco-category {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913reco-desc {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv1702498913 .yiv1702498913replbq {
margin:4px;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {
margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913ygrp-mlmsg {
font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean,
sans-serif;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913ygrp-mlmsg table {
font-size:inherit;font:100%;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913ygrp-mlmsg select,
#yiv1702498913 input, #yiv1702498913 textarea {
font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv1702498913
code {
font:115% monospace;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913ygrp-mlmsg * {
line-height:1.22em;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913ygrp-mlmsg #yiv1702498913logo {
padding-bottom:10px;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913ygrp-msg p a {
font-family:Verdana;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913ygrp-msg
p#yiv1702498913attach-count span {
color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913ygrp-reco
#yiv1702498913reco-head {
color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913ygrp-reco {
margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913ygrp-sponsor #yiv1702498913ov
li a {
font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}

li {
font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}

ul {
margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913ygrp-text {
font-family:Georgia;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913ygrp-text p {
margin:0 0 1em 0;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913ygrp-text tt {
font-size:120%;}

#yiv1702498913 #yiv1702498913ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {
border-right:none !important;
}
#yiv1702498913

Charles Kinzer

It should be EASY to get some of this group’s member to pony up a few dollars if that is needed.  A very small consortium contributed quite a bit to make the Gorre & Daphetid Reminiscence Project (www.gdlines.org) a reality.  And that was vastly more time than the miniscule effort to move to groups.io.  There are now 11,008 public groups at groups.io.  And I’ll wager the lion’s share are Yahoo group escapees.

Charles E. “Chuck” Kinzer

Sent: Wednesday, March 6, 2019 1:09 PM

Transferring is easy and painless.  The only change is now groups.io is requesting the group owner become a premium subscriber for a period of one year to help offset the costs of all of the work behind the scenes reacting to yahoo move to keep the transfer functional.

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Life Member    NMRA
Member    Scale 7 Group    Gauge 0 Guild  7mmNGA

John Hagen

Bob Friddle

Darryl’s name as moderator is still in the monthly rules…

Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2019 12:33 PM

Dale Smith

Bob

Regards,

Bill

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Dale Smith

I don't think money or the will to do it is the problem.  We can't do it without an owner to invite the transfer agent from groups.io to become a moderator and make the changes.  The question is whether we should start a new group on groups.io.   I did it for vintageHO but that was a "public group."  GandD is a "restricted group" meaning its contents are restricted to members.  This poses some ethical problems for transferring photos and files which were supplied by members under the rules that they would be shared only with other members.  Moving them to another group allows them to be seen by individuals who may not have been members of the Yahoo group.  That isn't a problem with a "public" group.  I doubt few would complain, but that is why groups.io transfer requires the owner to do it.   The transfer protocol brings the old members to the new group and assumes that the same owner moderator will be running the new group, so the same transferred members will be the only ones to see the messages and photos, subject to new members being admitted by the same moderator.   There may also be an ethical issue of transferring or rebuilding a group without the owner's knowledge or permission.

If we do go for a new group, I think the safest thing to do would be for the photo or file contributors to simply repost to the new group.  I would also recommend we wait until Yahoo goes belly up for good.  That would avoid the added problem of continued posts to the old group.  That could happen if they haven't read any message telling them of the new group.  People will still be getting the emails as long as Yahoo is functioning and will probably be replying there.    Because the appearance of the messages from both groups is so similar, most people won't pay any attention which group it is from.   Only the owner or moderator can shut down a group to posting.

Dale Smith

On 3/6/2019 1:47 PM, trainliker ckinzer@... [GandD] wrote:

It should be EASY to get some of this group’s member to pony up a few dollars if that is needed.  A very small consortium contributed quite a bit to make the Gorre & Daphetid Reminiscence Project (www.gdlines.org) a reality.  And that was vastly more time than the miniscule effort to move to groups.io.  There are now 11,008 public groups at groups.io.  And I’ll wager the lion’s share are Yahoo group escapees.

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Life Member    NMRA

John Hagen

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Darryl Huffman

Having transferred several groups to Io I understand the process.

There is no cost involved.

The original Yahoo group does not change.

But, without the group's owner help, the only thing to do is to continue as is.

But I also joined the Io group.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@...

On Wednesday, March 6, 2019, 6:17 PM, Dale Smith dalefsmith@... [GandD] wrote:

I don't think money or the will to do it is the problem.  We can't do it without an owner to invite the transfer agent from groups.io to become a moderator and make the changes.  The question is whether we should start a new group on groups.io.   I did it for vintageHO but that was a "public group."  GandD is a "restricted group" meaning its contents are restricted to members.  This poses some ethical problems for transferring photos and files which were supplied by members under the rules that they would be shared only with other members.  Moving them to another group allows them to be seen by individuals who may not have been members of the Yahoo group.  That isn't a problem with a "public" group.  I doubt few would complain, but that is why groups.io transfer requires the owner to do it.   The transfer protocol brings the old members to the new group and assumes that the same owner moderator will be running the new group, so the same transferred members will be the only ones to see the messages and photos, subject to new members being admitted by the same moderator.   There may also be an ethical issue of transferring or rebuilding a group without the owner's knowledge or permission.

If we do go for a new group, I think the safest thing to do would be for the photo or file contributors to simply repost to the new group.  I would also recommend we wait until Yahoo goes belly up for good.  That would avoid the added problem of continued posts to the old group.  That could happen if they haven't read any message telling them of the new group.  People will still be getting the emails as long as Yahoo is functioning and will probably be replying there.    Because the appearance of the messages from both groups is so similar, most people won't pay any attention which group it is from.   Only the owner or moderator can shut down a group to posting.

Dale Smith

On 3/6/2019 1:47 PM, trainliker ckinzer@... [GandD] wrote:

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Life Member    NMRA

John Hagen

altVirus-free. www.avg.com

Dale Smith

I think the rules email is also on auto-pilot.  I checked on the Yahoo groups site for GandD and he is not listed, only Pat Turner.   That is what the Yahoo server says so I believe that is more accurate than the email.

Dale

On 3/6/2019 3:02 PM, 'Friddle, Bob' bob.friddle@... [GandD] wrote:

Darryl’s name as moderator is still in the monthly rules…

Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2019 12:33 PM

Dale Smith

Bob

Regards,

Bill

Virus-free. www.avg.com