Topics

Yahoo Closing Groups

Ken Dodge

Got a question on PG Offline functionality.  Sounds like what I would be interested in, as (at this time at least) I just want to preserve a local copy of the group's contents in case the group disappears (without getting moved to some other host) or I lose my access to it.  So I would like to periodically run PG Offline to be sure I have a complete download of all the pictures, files, messages, etc.  My question then is would I end up with a bunch of duplicate files, or do newer downloads of already previously downloaded file(s) replace the older ones?

If needed, I would happily make available my personal, local archive of the group's contents to a Moderator in order to restore the group's contents (assuming I can actually download my local copy of the group's contents  LOL).  If I understood correctly though, since I'm not the Moderator, my local copy of the group's messages would not include email addresses of message posters, right?  hat isn't a concern to me, but would be a negative for a Moderator to use my local copy of the contents to restore the group...

Dale Smith

The files just update without duplication.  It would be 3 operations though, one for messages, one for files, and one for photos.  I would not recommend it as a means of transferring the group, but mainly as a last ditch effort to preserve what is here.

Dale Smith

On 2/7/2019 4:30 PM, k.dodge@... [GandD] wrote:

Got a question on PG Offline functionality.  Sounds like what I would be interested in, as (at this time at least) I just want to preserve a local copy of the group's contents in case the group disappears (without getting moved to some other host) or I lose my access to it.  So I would like to periodically run PG Offline to be sure I have a complete download of all the pictures, files, messages, etc.  My question then is would I end up with a bunch of duplicate files, or do newer downloads of already previously downloaded file(s) replace the older ones?

If needed, I would happily make available my personal, local archive of the group's contents to a Moderator in order to restore the group's contents (assuming I can actually download my local copy of the group's contents  LOL).  If I understood correctly though, since I'm not the Moderator, my local copy of the group's messages would not include email addresses of message posters, right?  hat isn't a concern to me, but would be a negative for a Moderator to use my local copy of the contents to restore the group...

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Dale Smith

Randy,

The problem is that while John and probably several other members have the "ability" to move the group over to groups.io, they don't have the "permission."   Only Pat can do that using the groups.io utility.  He is the sole owner of this group - there are no other moderators - and his email is hidden.  PG offline is probably only useful as an individual tool to save the contents for yourself.   I also checked the rules for the trial edition and it is valid only for 30 days.  After that, it would probably leave you with a database of messages, but no handy way to read them.   The photos and files would be there though and easily accessible through photo viewers, pdf readers, spreadsheet programs, etc.  The full featured version is only $24.95 though, so that would be my recommendation.

Dale Smith

On 2/7/2019 2:12 PM, Randy Decker randyleedecker@... [GandD] wrote:

I am sure someone will get Pat to take a few minutes to find the time to make a post and let us know his wishes.... This is his site, if for some reason Pat is not interested in things, either way, well then it is good to know we have guy's like yourself who have the ability to do this. 
  Perhaps Pat will need your guidance to do this..   it seems that would be the best case scenario.      

again IMHO

I am a relative newcomer to this page. 
  Randy 

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 4:48 PM 'John Niemeyer' reverend455@... [GandD] <GandD@...> wrote:

All

I have successfully transferred almost a dozen Yahoo groups to Groups.io in the last 6 months. I’m willing to do the same with this one.

Is there any interest for me to proceed?

I have tried to contact Pat Turner recently with no response.

John Niemeyer

I have no idea how well Yahoo will continue to operate but with recent glitches it is easy to imagine not being able to access anything.. easy to see this whole thing dissolve.

Pat Turner, this sites owner, has a facebook page for the G&D he does not spend time in there either but has posted far more in there, than his own page he created here many years ago.   I ended my facebook account a while back because of the constant political spam... and now they will not let me begin a new account just for model railroad use in my name again.  They are a control freak outfit in my experience.

I bet a lot of guy's do not have facebook accounts nor want them, so this group would be well served in finding  a new home.
I have contacted Pat through email concerning these issues... but no response.  And I can't even see what is happening on Facebook anymore so I can't speak to him through that sites message system.  For what its worth I think someone would speak to him about this and soon.  Some of you guy's have known Pat for many years... perhaps someone could give him a call.

Seems like the time my be here.  Again just think it is foolish to do nothing.... as if not today, or even tomorrow but soon the Yahoo glitches will come an it may be to late t0 salvage things by then.  That really would be a shame after all this work and time invested in this group.

IMHO

Randy

Virus-free. www.avg.com

John Hagen

Oh hell yes.

John Hagen

Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2019 3:50 PM
To: GandD@...
Subject: Re: [GandD] Re: Yahoo Closing Groups

All

I have successfully transferred almost a dozen Yahoo groups to Groups.io in the last 6 months. I’m willing to do the same with this one.

John Niemeyer

I have no idea how well Yahoo will continue to operate but with recent glitches it is easy to imagine not being able to access anything.. easy to see this whole thing dissolve.

Pat Turner, this sites owner, has a facebook page for the G&D he does not spend time in there either but has posted far more in there, than his own page he created here many years ago.   I ended my facebook account a while back because of the constant political spam... and now they will not let me begin a new account just for model railroad use in my name again.  They are a control freak outfit in my experience.

I bet a lot of guy's do not have facebook accounts nor want them, so this group would be well served in finding  a new home.

I have contacted Pat through email concerning these issues... but no response.  And I can't even see what is happening on Facebook anymore so I can't speak to him through that sites message system.  For what its worth I think someone would speak to him about this and soon.  Some of you guy's have known Pat for many years... perhaps someone could give him a call.

Seems like the time my be here.  Again just think it is foolish to do nothing.... as if not today, or even tomorrow but soon the Yahoo glitches will come an it may be to late t0 salvage things by then.  That really would be a shame after all this work and time invested in this group.

IMHO

Randy

Cdr. K'argton Kuval

Is there an interest in a Facebook group?

Robert Vancel
Senior Representative
Primerica Financial Services

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2/7/19 8:58 PM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: RE: [GandD] Re: Yahoo Closing Groups

Oh hell yes.

John Hagen

Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2019 3:50 PM
Subject: Re: [GandD] Re: Yahoo Closing Groups

All

John Niemeyer

IMHO

Randy

John Hagen

Most model rails, at least them that’s been around a few blocks do not adjust well to Facebook groups.

I do belong to a few but really try to avoid them.

This group really should seriously consider groups.io.

My 02 cents worth.

John Hagen

Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2019 8:00 PM
Subject: RE: [GandD] Re: Yahoo Closing Groups

Is there an interest in a Facebook group?

Robert Vancel

Senior Representative

Primerica Financial Services

Reply via web post

Reply to sender

Reply to group

Start a New Topic

Messages in this topic (36)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?

With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

SPONSORED LINKS

John Niemeyer

Which is exactly why I haven’t done anything but reach out to Pat first, then the group.

The price is $110.00 for a full year of premium.
Premium Yearly
$110/Year
10GB Attachment Storage
Unlimited Integrations
Directly Add Subscribers
RSVPs for events

John Niemeyer

The problem is that while John and probably several other members have the "ability" to move the group over to groups.io, they don't have the "permission."   Only Pat can do that using the groups.io utility.  He is the sole owner of this group - there are no other moderators - and his email is hidden.  PG offline is probably only useful as an individual tool to save the contents for yourself.   I also checked the rules for the trial edition and it is valid only for 30 days.  After that, it would probably leave you with a database of messages, but no handy way to read them.   The photos and files would be there though and easily accessible through photo viewers, pdf readers, spreadsheet programs, etc.  The full featured version is only $24.95 though, so that would be my recommendation.

Dale Smith

randyleedecker@...

I'd say a big thank you to any of you guys who have the interest in helping and the experience to see it done.  It sounds like some of us have been trying to contact Pat. so I think I am just saying what we are all thinking and doing but lets just hang in a holding pattern until we get Pat involved and see what he wants to do.   

thanks again gentlemen.   All    

Randy 

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Dale

When I go to “Albums,” it says, “Using 784 MB of maximum 100 GB. 1187 photos uploaded so far.”

Where are you seeing 1.08 gb?

BTW, Darryl Huffman was the co-moderator

Tom

Charles Kinzer

Please excuse my sloppy double negative English. In a hurry. I think you would have NO trouble raising the modest fees…

Charles E. “Chuck” Kinzer

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, February 7, 2019 2:54 PM
Subject: RE: [GandD] Yahoo Closing Groups

If past donations to help a certain valued member acquire scanner to scan G&D photos and slides is any example, I doubt you would have NO trouble raising the modest fees for more storage.

Posted by: trainliker <ckinzer@...>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Warner Swarner

I sure get more value from this group than $48/yr MR subscription (that is now down to 74 pages).  I will contribute my share right away (cash, check, PayPal).  I can’t help at all with the technical stuff, but count me in for support.  Whoever can rescue the group archives, go for it...  Thanks to all who chip in.  
Warner

On Feb 7, 2019, at 9:31 PM, trainliker ckinzer@... [GandD] <GandD@...> wrote:

Please excuse my sloppy double negative English. In a hurry. I think you would have NO trouble raising the modest fees…

If past donations to help a certain valued member acquire scanner to scan G&D photos and slides is any example, I doubt you would have NO trouble raising the modest fees for more storage.

Matt Hosford

All,

I checked with the Wurn & Whythyrd Lines treasurer. I am happy to report that even with the recent acquisition of new territory beyond the Washall mountain range, we can be counted in as a yay for financial support of the G and D Groups.

We are thankful for all that have made this destination of the W.W.W. a regular stop on our time table. Seeing, reading and being able to share in the talents, enthusiasm, first hand knowledge and general good nature of all on board this fantastic route has been priceless.

From the desk of the Mayor of Wurn…..

“Every once in a while you have to wipe the rim of the Jam jar for those who will come after ourselves or it may become closed forever. Preservation of this part of model railroad history, the dream of one man, is a small price to pay for the hours of enjoyment we all share here.
May it live on in all of us and most importantly (as Randy has pointed out) of those who will come after our time. I think J A would be one of the first in line at the ticket window on this one.”

Matt
Wurn & Whythyrd Lines

Sent: Friday, February 8, 2019 12:32 AM

randyleedecker@...

I will assume Pat will do the right thing here soon enough..  Many of you have expressed the willingness to contribute funds to help with this move and continued operational status... 

The officials and employees of the Great Divide are ready to help financially as needed.  We are all dedicated to presenting and preserving the legacy of John Allen and in fact, our railroad  project only exists because the true fans of John's who have kept his legacy alive since his passing and have preserved his story better than ANY museum or organization in the model railroading community ever has or ever will....!       

This group has so much to say, and I for one can verify, that all my current efforts to recapture and present to the world John's famous layout, would not be possible on any real level of not for this group. I can't think of a more worthy cause.  

"I think J A would be one of the first in line at the ticket window on this one.” 

Very nice Matt...

Randy 

Bob Friddle

The route of the angels has a long and proud history of supporting both national and local infrastructure improvements, as well as operating systems redundancy. Our CFO is standing by.

Thanks,

Bob Friddle, chief operating officer, Gabrielle lines 

On Feb 8, 2019, at 11:51 AM, randyleedecker@... [GandD] <GandD@...> wrote:

I will assume Pat will do the right thing here soon enough..  Many of you have expressed the willingness to contribute funds to help with this move and continued operational status... 

The officials and employees of the Great Divide are ready to help financially as needed.  We are all dedicated to presenting and preserving the legacy of John Allen and in fact, our railroad  project only exists because the true fans of John's who have kept his legacy alive since his passing and have preserved his story better than ANY museum or organization in the model railroading community ever has or ever will....!       

This group has so much to say, and I for one can verify, that all my current efforts to recapture and present to the world John's famous layout, would not be possible on any real level of not for this group. I can't think of a more worthy cause.  

"I think J A would be one of the first in line at the ticket window on this one.” 

Very nice Matt...

Randy 

David

Hi All,

The Dry Gulch & Western will help out financially too.  Although the funds may be covered with ants but that is a whole different story!

David (Dry Gulch & Western)

On Friday, February 8, 2019 11:29 AM, "'Friddle, Bob' bob.friddle@... [GandD]" wrote:

The route of the angels has a long and proud history of supporting both national and local infrastructure improvements, as well as operating systems redundancy. Our CFO is standing by.

Thanks,

Bob Friddle, chief operating officer, Gabrielle lines 

On Feb 8, 2019, at 11:51 AM, randyleedecker@... [GandD] <GandD@...> wrote:

Very nice Matt...

Randy 

Dale Smith

I got the 1.08 gb from the properties of the folder on my hard drive that holds the photos downloaded by PG Offline.  I re-downloaded the photos to another directory and got the same size.  It shows 1,184 Files in 119 folders.  The only thing I can think of to account for the difference might be that some photos are not in "Albums," but were uploaded as stand alone photos, though I couldn't identify any such photos.   Everything downloaded was in albums.  The other possibility may be that Yahoo stores the photos in a compressed form.  Apparently 3 photos were missed in my download for some reason, perhaps due to file corruption or transmission difficulties.  As you can see, Yahoo allows a far larger photo library for free, but the trade off is advertising on Yahoo, which you don't find on groups.io.

The conversion utility on groups.io gives you the option of setting the maximum size for photos.  You can also set this parameter for individually uploaded photos.  If a larger photo is encountered, it longest dimension is reduced to the setting.  Aspect ration stays the same.   I have it set at 1024x1024 pixels on the Gilbert HO group and I think a lot of other moderators on groups.io have done the same.   I set it even lower for attachments.  I know there are a lot of high resolution photos of the G&D, but I find that the 1024 pixel width provides a very viewable version of the photo.

Dale Smith

On 2/7/2019 8:27 PM, pr-line@... [GandD] wrote:

Dale

When I go to “Albums,” it says, “Using 784 MB of maximum 100 GB. 1187 photos uploaded so far.”

Where are you seeing 1.08 gb?

BTW, Darryl Huffman was the co-moderator

Tom

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Dale,

I'm not sure why the total file size is different. The file count looks okay. I did a test where I deleted a photo and the total file size dropped and the file count drop by one. So, the counter is dynamic.

On another note, if you want to save a message, photo or file URL link, you can dragging it to your desktop or a folders. Drag the photo thumbnail or file name and, then it will open the big photo or file (with and an option to open or save it). Photos and files come and go, but messages don't.

Tom

I can't find any official statement from Yahoo that it's pulling the plug on Groups. All I find are old rumors and people moving Yahoo Groups to an British Indian Ocean Territory (IO) Domain. (I just hope those servers are secure.) Yahoo Groups are generating ad revenue, so why delete them? I assume that they would give notice prior to deleting them. They did announce (a notice) that they were deleting dormant email accounts.

So, I don't see any panic in moving our GandD Group to IO. From what I can tell, the IO Groups have better features and, of course, no ads. We should move if and when we want.

Pat needs to step up to the plate. I believe Yahoo Groups still have a "Voting" function. I also think that Pat should consider transferring his ownership (resigning?) if he's not interested in being an active owner/moderator. We could "elect" a new owner for the IO group. After the content transfer, I guess Pat would just delete/deactivate the GandD Group. I don't know what's involved in doing this. What's the process?

There is no free lunch.

Tom

randyleedecker@...

Tom I looked for a simple google search and found little myself...lots of complaints and I am not sure how much The "GROUPS" Yahoo feature was ever really supported anyway.... other than a major meltdown.. you are right...for the most part Yahoo is still plodding along like it always did.

I have asked any of the guy's who seem ready to move and anyone who has suggestions of how and where to go... to simply wait until Pat gets at least involved enough to speak to the group...  He will lost likely ask the group for a vote of sorts to see what we think as well.   Whatever keeps this all running is the goal... lots of members who knew John or at least went to see his payout and that is perhaps the most impressive part of all this.  

So in the meantime It seems to me that we all keep this on the back burner and it is good to see the support offered here from a few of us and I am completely neutral 50/50 on staying or leaving..  If Yahoo is fine and this is all just "the Sky is Falling" panic then.  as long as the group is backed up and records saved in case something nasty happens....   I am totally good with putting this all to rest as well...   I'd hate to see charges with this new IO group thingy and then increased charges for yearly fees.     

If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It.....  But By All Means...! Please, let's back everything up (if it is possible and easy) as if it is going to all fail tomorrow just to be safe.  I would think a catastrophic end to Yahoo groups would not happen in a flash... and that there would be many warnings and an exodus of groups..   

IMHO...
 Randy

Dale Smith

Tom,

There are several considerations in moving over to groups.io, but I think it is safe.  It is run by the person who designed Yahoo groups, who is very active and transparent in its development.   As to Yahoo not being broke, it is broke, more or less.  At various time various functionalities come and go and Yahoo has announced no more active support, just their help page, which usually doesn't. 

The fact that this group is at or over the limit for photos for a free group doesn't give it much room to grow photo and file wise.  I know there are many who would contribute to a paid site, which is really a minimal cost, but that would probably be an administrative nightmare.  We could probably get the file size down somewhat, but from what I have seen there aren't a lot of huge files, but just a lot of photos.

The big advantage of PG Offline is that it copies everything all at once in a few minutes, rather than one photo at a time.  I can't say for sure, but I would bet the trial version might still allow you to manipulate what you have downloaded in the first 30 days. 

Rumors of Yahoo's pending demise have been around a long time.  I guess we just need to read the headlines about what is happening to Oath, which has been re branded as "Verizon Media Group."  They recently wrote off $4.6 billion of the division's $4.8 billion valuation.  The future doesn't look promising. 

Dale

On 2/9/2019 10:55 AM, pr-line@... [GandD] wrote:

Dale,

I'm not sure why the total file size is different. The file count looks okay. I did a test where I deleted a photo and the total file size dropped and the file count drop by one. So, the counter is dynamic.

On another note, if you want to save a message, photo or file URL link, you can dragging it to your desktop or a folders. Drag the photo thumbnail or file name and, then it will open the big photo or file (with ! and an option to open or save it). Photos and files come and go, but messages don't.

Tom

Virus-free. www.avg.com