Topics

Yahoo Closing Groups

Ken Dodge

Got a question on PG Offline functionality.  Sounds like what I would be interested in, as (at this time at least) I just want to preserve a local copy of the group's contents in case the group disappears (without getting moved to some other host) or I lose my access to it.  So I would like to periodically run PG Offline to be sure I have a complete download of all the pictures, files, messages, etc.  My question then is would I end up with a bunch of duplicate files, or do newer downloads of already previously downloaded file(s) replace the older ones?

If needed, I would happily make available my personal, local archive of the group's contents to a Moderator in order to restore the group's contents (assuming I can actually download my local copy of the group's contents  LOL).  If I understood correctly though, since I'm not the Moderator, my local copy of the group's messages would not include email addresses of message posters, right?  hat isn't a concern to me, but would be a negative for a Moderator to use my local copy of the contents to restore the group...

Dale Smith

The files just update without duplication.  It would be 3 operations though, one for messages, one for files, and one for photos.  I would not recommend it as a means of transferring the group, but mainly as a last ditch effort to preserve what is here.

Dale Smith

On 2/7/2019 4:30 PM, k.dodge@... [GandD] wrote:

[...]

Randy,

The problem is that while John and probably several other members have the "ability" to move the group over to groups.io, they don't have the "permission."   Only Pat can do that using the groups.io utility.  He is the sole owner of this group - there are no other moderators - and his email is hidden.  PG offline is probably only useful as an individual tool to save the contents for yourself.   I also checked the rules for the trial edition and it is valid only for 30 days.  After that, it would probably leave you with a database of messages, but no handy way to read them.   The photos and files would be there though and easily accessible through photo viewers, pdf readers, spreadsheet programs, etc.  The full featured version is only $24.95 though, so that would be my recommendation.

Dale Smith

On 2/7/2019 2:12 PM, Randy Decker randyleedecker@... [GandD] wrote:

I am sure someone will get Pat to take a few minutes to find the time to make a post and let us know his wishes.... This is his site, if for some reason Pat is not interested in things, either way, well then it is good to know we have guy's like yourself who have the ability to do this.
  Perhaps Pat will need your guidance to do this..   it seems that would be the best case scenario.

again IMHO

  I am a relative newcomer to this page.
  Randy

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 4:48 PM 'John Niemeyer' reverend455@... [GandD] <GandD@...> wrote:

All

I have successfully transferred almost a dozen Yahoo groups to Groups.io in the last 6 months. I’m willing to do the same with this one.

Is there any interest for me to proceed?

I have tried to contact Pat Turner recently with no response.

John Niemeyer

I have no idea how well Yahoo will continue to operate but with recent glitches it is easy to imagine not being able to access anything.. easy to see this whole thing dissolve.

Pat Turner, this sites owner, has a facebook page for the G&D he does not spend time in there either but has posted far more in there, than his own page he created here many years ago.   I ended my facebook account a while back because of the constant political spam... and now they will not let me begin a new account just for model railroad use in my name again.  They are a control freak outfit in my experience.

I bet a lot of guy's do not have facebook accounts nor want them, so this group would be well served in finding  a new home.
I have contacted Pat through email concerning these issues... but no response.  And I can't even see what is happening on Facebook anymore so I can't speak to him through that sites message system.  For what its worth I think someone would speak to him about this and soon.  Some of you guy's have known Pat for many years... perhaps someone could give him a call.

Seems like the time my be here.  Again just think it is foolish to do nothing.... as if not today, or even tomorrow but soon the Yahoo glitches will come an it may be to late t0 salvage things by then.  That really would be a shame after all this work and time invested in this group.

IMHO

John Hagen

Oh hell yes.

John Hagen

[...]

Cdr. K'argton Kuval

Is there an interest in a Facebook group?

Robert Vancel
Senior Representative
Primerica Financial Services

[...]

Most model rails, at least them that’s been around a few blocks do not adjust well to Facebook groups.

I do belong to a few but really try to avoid them.

This group really should seriously consider groups.io.

My 02 cents worth.

John Hagen

Is there an interest in a Facebook group?

Robert Vancel

Senior Representative

Primerica Financial Services

Reply to sender

Reply to group

Start a New Topic

Messages in this topic (36)

.

John Niemeyer

Which is exactly why I haven’t done anything but reach out to Pat first, then the group.

The price is $110.00 for a full year of premium.
Premium Yearly
$110/Year
10GB Attachment Storage
Unlimited Integrations
Directly Add Subscribers
RSVPs for events

John Niemeyer

The problem is that while John and probably several other members have the "ability" to move the group over to groups.io, they don't have the "permission."   Only Pat can do that using the groups.io utility.  He is the sole owner of this group - there are no other moderators - and his email is hidden.  PG offline is probably only useful as an individual tool to save the contents for yourself.   I also checked the rules for the trial edition and it is valid only for 30 days.  After that, it would probably leave you with a database of messages, but no handy way to read them.   The photos and files would be there though and easily accessible through photo viewers, pdf readers, spreadsheet programs, etc.  The full featured version is only $24.95 though, so that would be my recommendation.

Dale Smith

randyleedecker@...

I'd say a big thank you to any of you guys who have the interest in helping and the experience to see it done.  It sounds like some of us have been trying to contact Pat. so I think I am just saying what we are all thinking and doing but lets just hang in a holding pattern until we get Pat involved and see what he wants to do.

thanks again gentlemen.   All

Dale

When I go to “Albums,” it says, “Using 784 MB of maximum 100 GB. 1187 photos uploaded so far.”

Where are you seeing 1.08 gb?

BTW, Darryl Huffman was the co-moderator

Please excuse my sloppy double negative English. In a hurry. I think you would have NO trouble raising the modest fees…