Railroad.

Since Jim Findley lived in the Dallas-Ft Worth area, that even gives
more credibility to your find. Congratulations ... we know that TP
#31 is in good hands.

I had searched high and low for a picture of TP's 2-10-0, because I
have plans to number and letter my 2-10-0 Frisco as Jim's TP. I never
found a magazine photo of it, but thanks to you, I now have several
good color photos of it. I believe Jim used dry transfers on his
tenders and most likely they were "chartpak" P.T. Barnum 24PT. I used
to use them for my Pine Ridge RR lettering. I also beleive that there
is a real good chance that John Allen poured the lead in #31's boiler.

BTW, on page 140 of Modeling Railroading with John Allen, there is a
story about Jim Findley playing a trick on John with the chimney on
Squawbotton Station and it implies that Jim built the station, which
you also have in your possession. As a segway, how are your plans
coming along to offer this statiion as a built up kit? Please keep my
name on the list.

Regarding the picture of GD#43 on the turntable: I, too, recall
seeing that picture. I'll do some seaching for you. (It must be
a "Trackside Photo" versus a picture in a GD article.) I did find a
picture of a PFM ATSF 2-8-4 #4100 on a spur next to the GD turntable,
with a PFM ATSF 2-8-0 #1950 on the turntable in background, in PFM's
4th Edition (1958-59) catalog. The PFM 5th Edition catalog also shows
a lone shot of #4100. John no doubt painted and weathered these
locos, so there's a good chance that John kept the loco(s) and
lettered them for the GD. Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner
(yet), so I can't send you the photos. (Maybe, Andy Sperandeo knows
the answers to some of these questions.)

Model Railroader may be interested in printing one of your photos of
TP #31. If you're interested, I'd drop Andy a line at
Asperandeo@....

I'm a big fan of Jim Findley's, and glad that he left us many
construction articles. In fact, just last night I built a concrete
tunnel portal from one of Jim's articles.

Keith, thanks again for your GandD Group postings and the photos ...
past and present.

Tom Hokel
Pine Ridge RR

tonkamoes <atticat@...>

Thank you Tom for the nice note. I have talked to the guys at PFM and
they confirm that #43 is infact the advertising loco for the PFM ads.
John did also keep the loco and letter it for the G&D. The MR
Magazine gang has already contacted me wanting a news article about
Jim's #31. I am still in shock to see this loco make it through so
many years with no ware on the paint and very little ware on the
wheels. Prpbably when used on the G&D. I suspect that the 2-8-0
mentioned in the book is still out there someplace. Unless it was
sitting on the G&D during the fire. Also it could have been re-
lettered. Yes, the lettering on #31 is a dry transfer process the
same as John used. The plans to produce Squawbottom station is still
on the list of the many things to do around here. Our new S-scale
kits have been keeping us very busy. I will be using #31 on our Pine
Canyon RR, but change nothing. Have been thinking of adding PFM sound
though, but might just leave the loco as Jim left it. Either Jim or
O.S. Latimore installed a can motor saving me the trouble. I was just
searching PFM on ebay's site when this loco popped up. I was looking
for a walkaround throttle for the PFM Sound System II. It was only on
ebay for a few minutes. It takes about three hours for new items to
post, but the clock starts as soon as the seller uploads. Happy
Railroading, Keith
--- In GandD@..., thokel@f... wrote:
Hi Keith,

I did a Yahoo search and came up with the following link:
http://www.lonestarregion.com/cars.html. Littimore's layout was
named
the "Texas & Africa." You may purchase his and other memorial cars,
in both HO and N scale, from the NMRA Texas Lone Star Region. There
were a couple of articles published in HO Monthly that were
titled "Meandering About the GD Line," so it wouldn't surprise me
if
someone, maybe a GD fan, named their model railroad Meandering

#31 is in good hands.

Asperandeo@m...

I'm a big fan of Jim Findley's, and glad that he left us many
construction articles. In fact, just last night I built a concrete
tunnel portal from one of Jim's articles.

Keith, thanks again for your GandD Group postings and the
photos ...
past and present.

Tom Hokel
Pine Ridge RR

Keevan Burnside

In a message dated 8/17/03 12:28:15 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
thokel@... writes:

<< Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner (yet), so I can't send you the
photos. >>

Tom, a suggestion.

Buy a digital camera. Two years ago I bought a Sony FD Mavica for $300.
It's currently on sale at WalMart for $170. (A friend of mine bought one this
weekend.)

It's features, which appeals to me and others, is that the pictures are
recorded on a standard disk and that it has an Optical Zoom of 10X. By recording
on a disk means that you can directly off-load them onto your hard drive and
insert them into documents or, can email them directly without the
interpretation that a scanner would give them. (I have a scanner also, which I use for
inputting old photos I want on the computer. And for other uses too.)

Keevan Burnside
Colorado & Midwestern