Topics

Was John the Father in some ways of today's Narrow Gaugers

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

 I have some old books that show the wonderful backwoods logging operations and the salty looking characters who worked those lines.   Many a Deer Rack has adorned those machines.   I was just curious.. (most likely it would take more research to find out than its worth) but I can say that beginning with Johns HOn3 engine #3 on page 60 in The Book, this engine was built by John very early on I believe Early 1950's during the (#2 GD) expanded version of his first layout era.   This my guess.  Am I right ?  Others in here may know more, in fact the owner of this engine used to contribute here, perhaps he has a better history?

  Anyway early 50's is pretty early for this kind of thing.  Back then three rail, Lionel and American Flyer were still king.    I do not have the memory of some of the guys who go back to those earlier days and articles about something like this in magazines but I don't remember seeing this kind of whimsical engine in any of the old mags I've browsed.  Weathering that John did help to usher in.... was still a relatively unknown, untried, and an unpopular concept.   John's is the earliest of any model train, that I know of, with the whimsical accoutrements and whimsical attire often found in narrow gauge modeling.    John may very well have been the father of today's "Billy Goat and Rusty Rails Convict Crews"

Am I right?

randyleedecker@...

Mark Cartwright

Yes you are !
:)) Mark

Randy
He very well could be as he was the first to make me aware HOn3 and other odd gauges. John and the pages of Model Railroader and Model railroad Craftsman certainly enlightened me in that regard. Meanwhile I was stuck with a Lionel .027 layout which launched me on a life long quest to find that mystical 3 rail prototype. I am happy to report I finally found that line quite by accident and not even 50 miles from my house ..... the Mount Washington cog railway!

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Ha...  you are right...  they did have prototype three rail....!     Crack open the boxes boys....

Randy,

Check  the "Narrow and Expanding the GD" section (mainly pages 52 – 61) of The Book for John involvement in HOn3. It’s interesting reading.

“In the late 1940s little narrow gauge modeling had been done in HO scale, and those in HOn3 were a hardy band of pioneers. In December 1948 John initiated a round robin letter series among eight or nine modelers who were active in HOn3.”

The expansion in narrow gauge added humor for the first time to the GD.

So John was probably not the first, but he was certainly among the first and involved in HOn3 NMRA standards. He was definitely a torch bearer and one of the "Founding Fathers."

Yes I did remember reading that Tom, and his many contributions to the actual "standards" for narrow gauge as well.  He is enshrined as one of a very small group who did the HOn3 and 30 modeling world a great service back in its infancy.
  I also believe his little Backwoods, Hillbilly #3 with the Antlers may have been the first anyone can verify in print where this style of hard worked, hacked up and backwoods modified style loco was built.  I was curious to know if others had begun this out of the box modeling before John.  If not then he is the father of those crazy Narrow Gaugers and the fun, whimsical modeling that has followed.
   We have a lot of those modelers in here, I just wondered if they ever realised who it was who brought the wacky fun to this hobby first.  I think it may have been our John Allen.
 Every look at the set design in the Robin Williams movie "Popeye" I only Wish John had more time to have been able to have finished his DG&H line.  I have a feeling there would have been some very funny looking mine structures and slightly crooked buildings and fun props resembling many of today's narrow gauge scenes if he had just a little more time.

Randy