Topics

Varney Flat with D7 Dozers

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

My message on the Dozer photos I sent yesterday still hasn't posted. But here's the GD slide link for the photo I mentioned.

http://gdlines.org/GDLines/GD_Galleries/The_Slides/Set_02/slides/s2_025_silverbrdg_may63.html

Well, I’m resending my dozer message, which never showed up.

I posted some photos of a Varney NYC flat car with a load of Varney D7 Bulldozers. The flat car is from my childhood days. I got the dozers on eBay this year as assembled kits. The dozer with the modified taller stack is more prototypical and also has the engine correctly installed with the manifold on the left side. After applying a gray primer coat, I painted them Floquil Reefer Yellow. I could have added a couple of drops of Reefer Orange to bring the color closer to Caterpillar Yellow. I based the detail painting on a prototype photo of a fairly new (or maybe restored) D7. The dozers are quite detailed compared to other Varney autos and trucks.

I brush painted the flat car deck Floquil Foundation … let that set for over a week … and then applied an alcohol wash of black India ink and dull coat. The wooden stakes are tooth picks … which is what I think John probably used. I sprayed the scale-sized Kadee couplers, wheels and trucks highly thinned MicroLux (Vallejo) acrylic RR Tie Brown … don’t want sticky couplers and springs.

To bring the flat car weight up to NMRA standards, I added ¼ oz weights (with very minimal filling) under the dozer seats. (MRH mag is now talking about adding an ounce or two more over the NMRA standard.)

When I added the dozers to the flat, I quickly discovered that it was a tight fit! I thought, “You know … I bet John cut off the trailer hitches, so the dozers would fit the 40’ flat.” Sure enough … check GD slide “s2_025_silverbrdg_may63.” The officials would write my load up as having an “illegal overhang.” This load appears in other photos, too … s0_020 … Wernick DG007 and Swarner DS060901164801.

BTW, I found a UK mfg, ZEROPAINTS, that makes a bunch of model paints … one of their colors is ZP-1358 … Caterpillar Yellow! I had never heard of them.

Tom

Randy Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Nice job Tom,....

      My list of things that I must do gets longer and longer.

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 1:28 AM pr-line@... [GandD] <GandD@...> wrote:

[...]

David

Hi Tom,

Good job!  Great use of a nondescript flat car to create a John Allen treasure.  That makes model railroading fun.  Keep up the good work.  I wonder if those machines were ever delivered to a certain location on John's layout or were possibly "thru" freight bound for some location off the layout???  Hmm, a mystery.

I am working on Newport station.  It is going together rather slowly, other projects get in the way.  The main tower is now covered with brick paper and ready for windows.  The other side walls just got brick papered last night.  I have to start adding the brick pilasters and other brick trim before I glue the walls together.  Most of the building is constructed from cereal boxes.  The main tower is from a tall (Costco size) Swiffer duster box.  The structure is large but will effectively hide the corner of my vertical lift while providing a believable semi-backdrop building.

I did decide to purchase a new SP 4-8-8-2 BLI flat-nose cab forward.  It is a real beauty of a locomotive.  I will be using it for some photo op sessions on my layout.  I have several locations that it will look really appropriate.  Yes, it was one of those impulse purchases but Yankee Dabbler had a really good price that I couldn't pass up.  Of course I ran it on the layout and sure enough it had an unexpected station stop at Electric City.  Seems the station roof is just a little too close to the tracks for that behemoth!

David (Dry Gulch & Western)

On Thursday, October 11, 2018, 10:28:22 PM PDT, pr-line@... [GandD] wrote:

[...]

Murphy P

Tom great work what with the triple Varney D7 Bulldozers load and what is the road number of the NYC flat car please?

In looking through long range shots, I found some great new heavy-duty equipment. First for the GD MOW train the crane on the end, which is parked most of the time by the roundhouse is a 25 ton crane by True-Scale of their Silver Streak line, which model railroaders could buy in the 1940's, p25, MR DEC 1958 for two different views of the crane. The most intriguing was a heavy-duty Denver & Rio Grande Western #7890 monster F-200 with 16 wheels, and mystery load. The mystery load I cant understand as it is in shadows, so I can't see the details to tell you the type of tank is, just make an informed guess.

If you want the monster F-200 with 16 wheels, Athearn stared selling it in the late 1950's and you can find them on ebay. I think John took the black undecorated version for $1.29 and then lettered it for a fellow mountain railroad D&RGW. Here is a 1950's example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Athearn-METAL-heavy-duty-4-truck-flatcar-Westinghouse/323890995222?hash=item4b69686016:g:s4EAAOSw6OFdXMe8

If you want the crane, True-Scale sold the crane to Walthers, so on eBay look for Walthers 25 ton crane such as this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOW-TRAINS-HO-Walthers-UNION-PACIFIC-25-Ton-Crane-UP-10252-Work-Train-Windows-KD/303242072218?hash=item469aa2d09a:g:sssAAOSwXchdQ9F3

Everyone what are your thoughts on the type of flat car the mystery load is one and what type of tank is it? Is this a GD MOW train load for clearing land and installing line-side poles for communication in the mountains? Railroads such as the Denver & Rio Grande Western or Southern Pacific had, "Dark Territory" in the mountains radios could not work reliably, so communication lines became vital in such areas and why I could see the GD getting a tank. I guess Emma (GD #13) was on a vacation.

Tom again great work with your D7 Bulldozer load on the NYC flat car.

Thank you again for everyone who makes this community happen, be it a member who reads the online posts to enjoy the GD as a rewarding outlet to relax or those who regularly post, everyone in their own way helps keep the GD alive and make this a great community, Murphy

On Thursday, October 11, 2018, 10:28:22 PM PDT, pr-line@... [GandD] <GandD@...> wrote:

[...]

__._,_.___

Posted by: dave <hi61izq@...>

.

__,_._,___

Rick Jesionowski

In my opinion three D7's on a 50 Ton flat would be very close to an overload on a flat car, for a D7, only two would be the most on that style of flatcar.

Rick Jesionowski

On Thursday, August 22, 2019, 08:42:14 AM EDT, Murphy P <murphy23p@...> wrote:

[...]

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Rick, even if the weight comes in under the limit @ 42 tons, or over ....?
  If John Allen did it this way, then the rules clearly state that we "MUST" do it the same.

I think this is in the John Allen play book... page 1  rule #9      They are more like commandments to the faithful.

   (smile face here)

Randy

Murphy P

Are we sure they are D7s, could they be the lighter "D6" as I recall both are Cats and had the similar covers

In 1925, the company we today know as Caterpillar was formed by the merger of Holt Manufacturing and the C.L. Best Tractor Company.

Lets call John's load triple D6 Caterpillars as they have the same slanted front cover and produced throughout the 1940's. A D6 weighs about 16,000 lbs with no blade or attachments, which would bring the weight to 48,000 lbs for three on a flat car. With attachments a D6 can go up to 20,000 lbs with a larger fuel tank, front blade and powered drum cable winch on the back, which is not on John's load.

The three D6s could be fresh from a rebuild at an equipment dealer and if rebuilt, they might have new covers from the current year, so they could look like a D7.

Best regards,

Murphy

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 10:09 AM Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:
Rick, even if the weight comes in under the limit @ 42 tons, or over ....?
  If John Allen did it this way, then the rules clearly state that we "MUST" do it the same.

I think this is in the John Allen play book... page 1  rule #9      They are more like commandments to the faithful.

   (smile face here)

D7's only weigh 31,000 that's 14 ton...  X 3 = 42 Ton.
   But then none of this matters anyway.....  John said it's OK.

Randy

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 2:16 PM Murphy P <murphy23p@...> wrote:
[...]

I think both will work!

Protocraft makes some of the best brass models in the world. Their data shows an NYC flat car can take a max load of 60,300 lbs, series 499300-499599, 300 cars, Despatch Shops, Inc. under order 789, as NYC Lot 712-F - delivered November 1942. The last production of these flat cars in January 1950 had numbers up to 500299.

Tom used an NYC car, so John's work is safe.
Best regards,

Murphy

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 11:23 AM Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:
[...]

Murphy where is that photograph with the odd track vehicle and long pole load.   ?   Is it in the slides?  or somewhere else.

 It would be so much easier to find things if John did not run those trains and move things around so much...  !

Randy

Murphy P

Yes it is from the slides Randy, can you see this photo better? It is in the area in red. On the picture I put my idea for a load for two flat cars with the line-pole trailer articulating around railroad track curves using old circus wagon front axles assemblies and the tank on the lead end of the two flat cars.

Best regards,

Murphy

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 11:42 AM Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:
Murphy where is that photograph with the odd track vehicle and long pole load.   ?   Is it in the slides?  or somewhere else.

 It would be so much easier to find things if John did not run those trains and move things around so much...  !

Murphy can you give me the set and photo number...  I just went through all the slides and I do not see this one.    Thanks

Randy

Murphy P

Sure Randy and thanks for the help.

Tank and the pole wagon on the right edge of the photo:

http://gdlines.org/Rod_Smith/album/slides/DS060811132024.html

Thanks again for your help!

Murphy

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 1:42 PM Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:
Murphy can you give me the set and photo number...  I just went through all the slides and I do not see this one.    Thanks

Ahhh  Rod Smiths pictures..       Thank you sir.

Thanks, Murphy. You must have downloaded them a while back, because I deleted them. I reposted some of them in my album, including the prototype D7 that I used as a painting guide. The NYC Varney flat is #480250, with toothpick stakes. Two of these dozers were still in their cellophane package. The other one I bought was painted and weathered, with a taller exhaust stack added. I repainted them all. I found a modelers paint bottle for Caterpillar Yellow, but it wasn't worth purchasing.

When I placed them on the flat, it was a tight fit. What? I checked a GD photo of them at Port (in the Book?), sure enough John trimmed off the back loop hitches. And, yet again … recreated G&D stuff adds more insight! Ain't it fun!

Regarding that other dozer on the heavy flat. See Gary Wernick's slide DG006. It's a good view of the trailer. I think RMC had a B&W photo of it on same high bridge, too.

Wow Tom you know those photo's well.  I am so busy searching through photo's for bridges and structures to build this layout I often do not see the rolling stock or engines or at least remember them.   I am curious how long John might keep a load like that on the layout.   That we will most likely have to guess, probably "as long as he cared to" would be the answer.

  I did find a couple of more shots as I was going through some of the Japanese magazine group Jeff loaded in.   For what its worth here's another of the dozers  http://gdlines.info/TMS_2_9_c70.jpg

And another of #17   http://gdlines.info/TMS_2_10_c70.jpg

Nothing great just more for the file.

The photo that shows back dozer loop hitch trimmed off is s2_025.

Attached is another dozer with a front plow. It's from the MR Video Plus Roundhouse Episode 21 at the 18:23 mark. Good view of some Andrews buildings, too. Close-up shot of the 3-window casting. The ladies with the brooms are Revell figures. I think they came with the Farm House kit. Those "Altered Articles" and "Ancient Manuscripts" are shots at Linn for editing John's submissions and not publishing, or publishing them late. I know the feeling. If you haven't seen this video, I highly suggest that you do!

On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 03:10 PM, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) wrote:
MR Video Plus Roundhouse Episode 21
I lost count in that video.....  But it seems to me that Linn must have taken/been given about 25 or 30 more shots than we have ever seen before......  They used some pictures I have never seen for that video.  Really good ones to.

Yup … I noticed that, too.

If you do some searching on Linn, you'll run across an MR video interview with Linn's widow. One of the original photos of Linn was outstanding. Way better than the print version. MR has a bunch of great photos that they should print and/or re-print now that even print quality is better than years past. If they offered much larger digital versions, I would buy them. (BTW, I bought their John Allen PDF article several years ago and it was crap. I already had the original article, so I was just looking to have them all in one place. My scans were way better. I lost all desire in their 75-years of MR on DVD.)