Topics

Trying to find an old Railroad advertisement

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Only going back to about 1971-72 era...  I sent an attachment of an old plastic HO billboard from when I was a kid.  I am not sure if this was ready made and sold by someone like Tyco with this Southern Pacific advertisement or if it was cut out of a magazine.....  but I did find a crappy image of the ad.     I would think this might have been a magazine advertisement from that era...  I suppose even real railroads might advertise in hobby magazines for people to take the train... especially this ad with the toy train...

So I thought since this group knows more trivia about railroads and model railroad magazines than any group I know of I would ask in here if anyone recognises this?  The - "Next Time Try the Train" - from SP was from that early 70's era.    The ad was not more than about 4" wide .... 

If you can find it I am looking for a copy of it so I am trying to find what magazine and month...   I cut up stacks of magazines from the 60's and 70's for my reference binder years ago...  Just could not keep boxes of magazines anymore..  I bet I threw this ad out. 

Randy

--
randyleedecker@...

Charles Kinzer

Southern Pacific definitely had a “Next Time Try the Train” campaign and it started a lot earlier than the 1970’s.  I have a vague memory of seeing that ad you showed as a real billboard either online somewhere or in a book.  But I can’t find it.  Anyway…

Here is a 1937 photo of an SP “Next Time Try the Train” ad:

I know that at least some other railroads used the same idea but I think usually phrased, “Next Time Take the Train”.  I’ve photos of advertising on girder bridges saying this.

SP also used the word “fun” in a series of ads like these which I believe are all from the 1950’s.

I suppose there could be a G&D flavored version created for a layout.  I think the “it’s fun” might not fit.  But “Next Time Try the Train” might.  Certainly better than wagons.  Might show a might G&D train in the art passing a broke down wagon with a broken wheel.  Something like that.

Or go the “it’s fun” route but have the “bathing beauty” in one of those head to toe baggy Victorian vintage bathing suits.

Charles E. “Chuck” Kinzer

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, July 4, 2019 1:15 AM
To: GandD@groups.io
Subject: [GandD] Trying to find an old Railroad advertisement

Only going back to about 1971-72 era...  I sent an attachment of an old plastic HO billboard from when I was a kid.  I am not sure if this was ready made and sold by someone like Tyco with this Southern Pacific advertisement or if it was cut out of a magazine.....  but I did find a crappy image of the ad.     I would think this might have been a magazine advertisement from that era...  I suppose even real railroads might advertise in hobby magazines for people to take the train... especially this ad with the toy train...

So I thought since this group knows more trivia about railroads and model railroad magazines than any group I know of I would ask in here if anyone recognises this?  The - "Next Time Try the Train" - from SP was from that early 70's era.    The ad was not more than about 4" wide .... 

If you can find it I am looking for a copy of it so I am trying to find what magazine and month...   I cut up stacks of magazines from the 60's and 70's for my reference binder years ago...  Just could not keep boxes of magazines anymore..  I bet I threw this ad out. 

Randy

--
randyleedecker@...

Hey Chuck, this is great....   I did the internet search and found some of these signs.  I think the campaign was brilliant....     And I did not realise the ad campaign was older than this 70's era so that might make it even harder to find. 1950's... yikes.. !   did not think they used this motto for that long.  Anyway It is good to see you found some of the magazine ads as this is certainly the place this tiny 4" wide Billboard must have come from.    It seems the style of the cartoon image and the fact that it is a Kid Playing with a train that might make it targeted for model railroader or some other hobby type magazine of the day.    So there is hope some of you guys might actually have seen it and might just have a stack of mags and there it is...  ? 

Very glad to have gotten a response so fast with this much info Chuck..  this is great...    ???   What is the cartoon kid holding in his hand...?   It does look like he is holding a handle and not many things would fit the bill.          

Randy   

Warner Swarner

There were a ton of railroad ads in National Geographic.  Remember when folks collected those? It was something of pride to have a complete bookcase of years of them near your set of Britannica.    I recall looking through them but we weren’t always looking for the railway ads.  GN and NP ran some spectacular scenery and dining car ads (as well as the Calif Zephyr and UP).  Once in a while I still run across cut out framed RR ads in antique stores from NG or even Look or Life magazines.  Great flash backs.  
Now my wife tells me not to look through the magazines at antique store - for a different reason.  Looking at the girls is ok (wouldn’t know what to do if I caught one) just  “We don’t need more stuff.”
Warner

On Jul 4, 2019, at 8:11 AM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

Hey Chuck, this is great....   I did the internet search and found some of these signs.  I think the campaign was brilliant....     And I did not realise the ad campaign was older than this 70's era so that might make it even harder to find. 1950's... yikes.. !   did not think they used this motto for that long.  Anyway It is good to see you found some of the magazine ads as this is certainly the place this tiny 4" wide Billboard must have come from.    It seems the style of the cartoon image and the fact that it is a Kid Playing with a train that might make it targeted for model railroader or some other hobby type magazine of the day.    So there is hope some of you guys might actually have seen it and might just have a stack of mags and there it is...  ? 

Very glad to have gotten a response so fast with this much info Chuck..  this is great...    ???   What is the cartoon kid holding in his hand...?   It does look like he is holding a handle and not many things would fit the bill.          

Randy   

Ya know Warner, kids today an for a while....don't realise magazines like National Geographic were what brought the rest of the world to everyone.   It must be so hard to even imagine a world "pre-internet".    Magazines were everywhere for the public consumption but the idea of the medium was still not much different than the incredibly detailed and realistic artists of the century before who traveled to those place and painted them and brought these images to life on canvas...  They did not have cameras.   These paintings were only seen by the wealthy in many cases.... this was how the rest of the world saw Zimbabwe or the Pyramids in Egypt or the Great Wall. 
     I think I am looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack, and I don't want to go to far from the GD topic here.. this does relate...  but if anyone does happen to blunder on one of these ads... please let me know what magazine it was in so I can buy one.   The only saving grace here is they must have printed this add in many magazines for a while  ....  I might get lucky...   
    This one with the kid holding an oil can and wearing the overalls and the engineers cap is just so damned adorable I would like to find it.     

Randy  

Bruce Wilson

Try contacting the SP Historical Society

https://sphts.org/

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Life Member NMRA
Member Scale 7 Group Gauge 0 Guild 7mmNGA

On 7/4/2019 04:15, Randy Lee Decker wrote:

Randy

I just requested membership in the southern pacific facebook group....   but I did not know of the historical society   I bet someone can nail this crazy search down for me.!  Thanks Brice.     Sorry for the off topic direction here..  It will eventually come round and prove to be related....   For now it is just a search... 

Randy  

Charles Kinzer

There is also a groups.io group called “Espee” which is full of really knowledgeable people about all things SP.

Sent: Thursday, July 4, 2019 10:14 AM
Subject: Re: [GandD] Trying to find an old Railroad advertisement

I just requested membership in the southern pacific facebook group....   but I did not know of the historical society   I bet someone can nail this crazy search down for me.!  Thanks Brice.     Sorry for the off topic direction here..  It will eventually come round and prove to be related....   For now it is just a search... 

Randy  

_._,_._,_

Greg Johnson

The photo is by Dorothea Lange who was 18 years older than John Allen. Since many of her photos were taken in Monterey and the Central California Coast I want to believe that as a photographer himself, Allen was aware of her work. 
Anybody have info on Allen's connection with other contemporary California photographers? Edward Weston from Carmel, for example.
- Greg

nccsbl

There are lots of railway ads for name trains in old National Geographic magazines. Not only are they printed in colour on top quality glossy paper, but you can also buy a set of DVD's from the NGS online store containing every issue.

Nigel

On Thursday, July 4, 2019, 11:11:52 PM GMT+8, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

Randy   

Greg, excuse me but what photo?  Are you referring to the B&W actual real billboard signs that have become famous for their imagery of the depression era feel used by the SP...?  The famous eon with the two men walking down the road is a bit of an icon today.  I think Johnny Cash used that photo and superimposed himself into the photo walking with his guitar case for an album cover or something.    
     My little picture, on the other hand, is just a cartoon advertisement that was only ever printed in a magazine ad.  Really going to be tough to find but I am trying.    

Randy       

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 1:57 PM Greg Johnson <greg58g@...> wrote:
The photo is by Dorothea Lange who was 18 years older than John Allen. Since many of her photos were taken in Monterey and the Central California Coast I want to believe that as a photographer himself, Allen was aware of her work. 
Anybody have info on Allen's connection with other contemporary California photographers? Edward Weston from Carmel, for example.
- Greg

Ahhhh...  good one..  thanks Chuck... 

Randy  

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 1:46 PM Charles Kinzer <ckinzer@...> wrote:

There is also a groups.io group called “Espee” which is full of really knowledgeable people about all things SP.

Sent: Thursday, July 4, 2019 10:14 AM

Randy  

OK...  went to the LOC.. wow what a massive massive documents network that is just for magazines! Just Wow...!    I went to the SP historical archives..  I have posted this question in various ESPEE groups and not one clue....  Totally Understandable. 

This is a needle in a haystack kind of search...   But I now have a possible sighting remembered in "Trains" Magazine.   

So I thought I'd ask in here because there are some large part of the membership in here that was born before 1960.... and many of you might even have some of these in boxes still...?   Before I start buying old mags and flipping through them the hard and expensive way...  If any of you guys feel like thumbing through some nostalgic images....would you please take a thumb through a pile and see if you don't find this little advertisement from Southern Pacific in there.  All I am after is the year and month etc..  then I can buy the old magazine and cut it out or copy it myself.    The memory is from the 1969 to 1972 era.     I will try and attach the photo again.

Thanks  I can't give up just yet... 

Randy  

Funny I thought enough guy's who might have a few in boxes and be curious.    This advertisement was a billboard on Johns G&D..  Sometime in late 1971 -  early 72 it seems to appear up above Andy's Drug Store...     I see I can purchase the magazine on dvd for $250 Klambacks from Klamback.     I would be curious to know just how many of those they actually sell.   

Where's the Big K guys now when ya need them.  ?   

Randy 

Russell Courtenay

I love that ad, any known photos of it on the G&D?

The Model Railroader 75 Year Archive DVD is no longer available and no longer supported by Kalmbach. I didn’t buy it not just because of its $179 price tag but because many said the scans were rather low resolution to the point that the text was difficult to read. This baffles me because Kalmbach insists the current subscription Archive is the exact same scans but no one complains about them. 

I have seen the DVD go for $10-20 on eBay but only saw after they were sold. I keep looking. 

Russell Courtenay
July is national what month?

On Jul 23, 2019, at 7:16 PM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

Funny I thought enough guy's who might have a few in boxes and be curious.    This advertisement was a billboard on Johns G&D..  Sometime in late 1971 -  early 72 it seems to appear up above Andy's Drug Store...     I see I can purchase the magazine on dvd for $250 Klambacks from Klamback.     I would be curious to know just how many of those they actually sell.   

Where's the Big K guys now when ya need them.  ?   

Randy 

John Hagen

Russ,

I have had no problem what so ever with DVD set. No problem reading anything albeit it is for the most part old magazines that have been scanned.

I can’t understand why anyone is having problems with it.

John Hagen

From: GandD@groups.io On Behalf Of Russell Courtenay via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 12:01 AM

The Model Railroader 75 Year Archive DVD is no longer available and no longer supported by Kalmbach. I didn’t buy it not just because of its $179 price tag but because many said the scans were rather low resolution to the point that the text was difficult to read. This baffles me because Kalmbach insists the current subscription Archive is the exact same scans but no one complains about them. 

I have seen the DVD go for $10-20 on eBay but only saw after they were sold. I keep looking. 

Russell Courtenay

Yes Russ, here's a photo of it from Gary Warnick, Warner took a shot of it as well. 

http://www.gdlines.org/GarySlides/Gary's%20Slides/album/slides/DG031Great%20Divide.html
 If either of you have the DVD can you do take a look for this ad...  Might be fun. 
    What I wonder is even if I find it... how could I take an small image like this from a DVD file?  Is it possible ?  are the pages well enough scanned that an isolated part of the page can be printed and it is not all pixelated and WORTHLESS. 

Randy

Charles Kinzer

I bought the DVD back in the day and loaded it on my computer for fast access. 

I find the scans just fine.  I use it for research very frequently.  The only thing is that the search feature is a little clunky.  Especially for issues that have special un-numbered advertising pages.  The search gives you a page number that is the number of pages in including those un-numbered pages.  So if it says “page 23” you might really need to go to a different page near the one that comes up.

Since I care mostly about older issues and older things I never signed on to their online service.

If you can find one cheap, it is very handy to just load the entire thing onto your hard drive and then you’re all set.

However, I notice a couple of recent sales on eBay for $199.95 and $149.25 which seems a rather premium price since that, and more, is available online for a vastly lower subscription price.

Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 6:10 AM

Russ,

I have had no problem what so ever with DVD set. No problem reading anything albeit it is for the most part old magazines that have been scanned.

I can’t understand why anyone is having problems with it.

John Hagen

From: GandD@groups.io On Behalf Of Russell Courtenay via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 12:01 AM

Russell Courtenay

_._,_._,_

In case anyone who has access to this magazine.... cares to look.....  Not only would it HELP me if you can find the month and year.... and let me know what it is... but it might be fun to make a copy for yourselves if your a modeler...

Now John could possibly have cut this advertisement out from a magazine of earlier vintage but I have a feeling it just hit him when he saw it and he grabbed it right then and used it.  Warner and crew were there in around October of 1971.....  this billboard showed up sometime just previous to their visit...   So it would not be any later than that date.  If I was to guess... I'd suggest a search of September 1971 and work backward..  I bet it is within that year.

Randy       

Bruce Wilson

I think SP ran their Try the Trains ads in the 1940s.  A full colour ad would have been more likely to show up in National Geographic or the like not Trains nor MR

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Life Member NMRA
Member Scale 7 Group Gauge 0 Guild 7mmNGA

On 7/24/2019 12:25, Randy Lee Decker wrote:
  In case anyone who has access to this magazine.... cares to look.....  Not only would it HELP me if you can find the month and year.... and let me know what it is... but it might be fun to make a copy for yourselves if your a modeler...

Now John could possibly have cut this advertisement out from a magazine of earlier vintage but I have a feeling it just hit him when he saw it and he grabbed it right then and used it.  Warner and crew were there in around October of 1971.....  this billboard showed up sometime just previous to their visit...   So it would not be any later than that date.  If I was to guess... I'd suggest a search of September 1971 and work backward..  I bet it is within that year.

Randy