Topics

Trying to find an old Railroad advertisement

Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...>

Only going back to about 1971-72 era...  I sent an attachment of an old plastic HO billboard from when I was a kid.  I am not sure if this was ready made and sold by someone like Tyco with this Southern Pacific advertisement or if it was cut out of a magazine.....  but I did find a crappy image of the ad.     I would think this might have been a magazine advertisement from that era...  I suppose even real railroads might advertise in hobby magazines for people to take the train... especially this ad with the toy train...

   So I thought since this group knows more trivia about railroads and model railroad magazines than any group I know of I would ask in here if anyone recognises this?  The - "Next Time Try the Train" - from SP was from that early 70's era.    The ad was not more than about 4" wide ....

If you can find it I am looking for a copy of it so I am trying to find what magazine and month...   I cut up stacks of magazines from the 60's and 70's for my reference binder years ago...  Just could not keep boxes of magazines anymore..  I bet I threw this ad out.

randyleedecker@...

Charles Kinzer

Southern Pacific definitely had a “Next Time Try the Train” campaign and it started a lot earlier than the 1970’s.  I have a vague memory of seeing that ad you showed as a real billboard either online somewhere or in a book.  But I can’t find it.  Anyway…

Here is a 1937 photo of an SP “Next Time Try the Train” ad:

I know that at least some other railroads used the same idea but I think usually phrased, “Next Time Take the Train”.  I’ve photos of advertising on girder bridges saying this.

SP also used the word “fun” in a series of ads like these which I believe are all from the 1950’s.

I suppose there could be a G&D flavored version created for a layout.  I think the “it’s fun” might not fit.  But “Next Time Try the Train” might.  Certainly better than wagons.  Might show a might G&D train in the art passing a broke down wagon with a broken wheel.  Something like that.

Or go the “it’s fun” route but have the “bathing beauty” in one of those head to toe baggy Victorian vintage bathing suits.

[...]

Hey Chuck, this is great....   I did the internet search and found some of these signs.  I think the campaign was brilliant....     And I did not realise the ad campaign was older than this 70's era so that might make it even harder to find. 1950's... yikes.. !   did not think they used this motto for that long.  Anyway It is good to see you found some of the magazine ads as this is certainly the place this tiny 4" wide Billboard must have come from.    It seems the style of the cartoon image and the fact that it is a Kid Playing with a train that might make it targeted for model railroader or some other hobby type magazine of the day.    So there is hope some of you guys might actually have seen it and might just have a stack of mags and there it is...  ?

Very glad to have gotten a response so fast with this much info Chuck..  this is great...    ???   What is the cartoon kid holding in his hand...?   It does look like he is holding a handle and not many things would fit the bill.

Randy

Warner Swarner

There were a ton of railroad ads in National Geographic.  Remember when folks collected those? It was something of pride to have a complete bookcase of years of them near your set of Britannica.    I recall looking through them but we weren’t always looking for the railway ads.  GN and NP ran some spectacular scenery and dining car ads (as well as the Calif Zephyr and UP).  Once in a while I still run across cut out framed RR ads in antique stores from NG or even Look or Life magazines.  Great flash backs.
Now my wife tells me not to look through the magazines at antique store - for a different reason.  Looking at the girls is ok (wouldn’t know what to do if I caught one) just  “We don’t need more stuff.”
Warner

On Jul 4, 2019, at 8:11 AM, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

[...]

Ya know Warner, kids today an for a while....don't realise magazines like National Geographic were what brought the rest of the world to everyone.   It must be so hard to even imagine a world "pre-internet".    Magazines were everywhere for the public consumption but the idea of the medium was still not much different than the incredibly detailed and realistic artists of the century before who traveled to those place and painted them and brought these images to life on canvas...  They did not have cameras.   These paintings were only seen by the wealthy in many cases.... this was how the rest of the world saw Zimbabwe or the Pyramids in Egypt or the Great Wall.
     I think I am looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack, and I don't want to go to far from the GD topic here.. this does relate...  but if anyone does happen to blunder on one of these ads... please let me know what magazine it was in so I can buy one.   The only saving grace here is they must have printed this add in many magazines for a while  ....  I might get lucky...
    This one with the kid holding an oil can and wearing the overalls and the engineers cap is just so damned adorable I would like to find it.

Randy

Bruce Wilson

Try contacting the SP Historical Society

https://sphts.org/

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Life Member NMRA
Member Scale 7 Group Gauge 0 Guild 7mmNGA

On 7/4/2019 04:15, Randy Lee Decker wrote:
[...]

I just requested membership in the southern pacific facebook group....   but I did not know of the historical society   I bet someone can nail this crazy search down for me.!  Thanks Brice.     Sorry for the off topic direction here..  It will eventually come round and prove to be related....   For now it is just a search...

There is also a groups.io group called “Espee” which is full of really knowledgeable people about all things SP.