Topics

Tioga Pass RR Boxcar

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

I built a Roundhouse outside-braced 40’ boxcar based on Jim Findley’s Tioga Pass Railroad. A photo of this car is in Jim’s Model Railroad Craftsman Arched Stone Bridges article, December 1982. See them in the Pine Ridge RR album.

I couldn’t figure out what the “lines” between and under the TP letters were trying to convey, so I dropped them and added smaller font “R R” letters under TP. I designed the logo in PowerPoint and printed it on plain paper. I made the logo from thin plastic and glued the paper logo over it. I’ll replace the paper logo with a decal after I make my next decal sheet. Then, I lightly weather it.

I am puzzled by the “FS & C” road markings. Anyone know what railroad that would have been?

I wondered why the GD Line didn’t have a Tioga Pass RR car on it. Then just the other day, I found a photo of a TP stockcar on the GD Line sitting in the yard, but it didn’t have a logo. It was Warner’s DS060901162859.jpg photo.

Murphy P

There are several Tioga Pass cars on John's layout, there is a good photo of one on the high bridge mid train with a low roof as I recall. Out of state driving or I would tell you more There are a few others Pass' cars in background shots. So at least a few. Texas Rio Grande and Western and Southern Pacific, like SP's several PFEs on John layout as I recall are the two most common railroads in frequency on John's layout, other than GD cars.

Wishing everyone a great start to next week, Murphy

On Sunday, September 22, 2019, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <PR-Line@...> wrote:

[...]

Photos please!

Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR)

Jeff,

I found several slides of the Tioga Pass RR stockcar. It's a Roundhouse/MDC 36 footer … probably the all metal version. It's still just one TP car.

Slides: s0_094, 095, 095a and s1_021, 034, 037.

I guess I was just looking for a car with the TP logo. Findley might have come up with logo after John's passing.

Sorry, Tom, I meant of yours; then I re-read your email and saw you already posted photos in your folder! Sorry for the confusion!

Hi Jeff,

Hey, no problem. I needed to do some research on those slides anyway.

At least there was one Tioga Pass RR car on the GD line, as well as the Tioga Pass Freight Exchange.