Topics

Thoughts on Storage limits

Dale Smith

My apologies for the confusing title of the previous message.  I tried to bring up Darryl's message asking for donations to indicate we were a paid group which should have larger storage limits.  It didn't bring up his message and when I tried to correct it, I just confused it further.  If you respond, please respond to this message with the new topic.  Thanks and mea culpa.

Dale

On 3/8/2020 5:25 PM, Dale Smith wrote:
Darryl sent this message about a year ago when we moved over to groups.io.   The response was quick and overwhelming, so much so that Darryl had to ask people to stop sending contributions.  At the time this money was need to make us a paid group and was, if I remember, $110 at that time.  It is now $220.  Becoming a paid group was the price for getting transferred.  The fact that we got transferred is proof that he paid the money.

The point here is that paid groups have 20 GB of storage, not 1GB.   We may have just passed our 1 year mark and have reverted to being a free group.  This may be what generated the message.  I didn't check during the year to see if we were given that extra storage space, but I guess it is moot now.

As to contributions, $5 a month would be quite excessive.  With  our 1238 members, that would generate $6190.  Even $1 would generate $1238.   All to pay a $220 bill.  $220 divided by 1238 would equal a fair share per member at about 18 cents.  Obviously not everyone is going to contribute, but even so handling donations each year is a hassle and then returning excess contributions is even more of a hassle. A few people will probably carry this group if we need to go premium again.

Before we get too involved in the logistics of paying for premium status, the question is whether or not we need the additional storage.  Our photo uploads are sized down to screen width (1024 pixels) to save space.  I transferred the photos and normally would have set the size at 1024 pixels at that time.  I checked and it appears that was what happened as one photo I checked was downsized from 974 kb to 244kb.  We could also thin our files some to weed out the chaff.  It wouldn't be much effort if the posters could edit their own folders.   I am listed as the owner of any folders where an owner couldn't be identified, Usually that is because they dropped out of the group, but might be the result of an email change.  They might be prime candidates for thinning.

I am not sure we need to do anything now though, as it will take us a while to use up the 200 megabytes.  That 244kb photo is typical of the largest size photos that fill the screen.  It would take us just over 800 photos of that size to fill our remaining space.

Dale

Warner Swarner

Dale and others,
I fully agree.  Just $10 a year from 22 loyal readers of this group will float this boat fine.  If more space is needed, I am fully behind it.  I appreciate so much the efforts everyone puts in to keep contributing memories plus new ideas and model work. Thank you all.
Warner

On Mar 8, 2020, at 6:00 PM, Dale Smith <dalesierra@...> wrote:

[...]

I may have actually overestimated our remaining space.   It is closer to 163 mb, but still enough for 668 photos.  I did get rid of about 5 mb of data by deleting the tif files that  couldn't be read by the groups.io photo viewer.  Those photos by Bob Hogan are now saved in high res on Jeff's site as well as being in their own album in jpg form on groups.io.

The problem with deleting is it is hard to bite the bullet and decide what can go.  Who decides what can go is another problem.  What  Also since the files are pretty small, it takes a lot of deletion to make any real dent so it is a lot of work.  Definitely worth the added expense, which at $10 is pretty minimal.  I don't doubt that we will have more than enough volunteers.  I would just wait until we get a bit closer to our maximum storage limit.

Dale

On 3/8/2020 7:16 PM, Warner Swarner via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

There is certainly so OLD content from the Yahoo early days that by now has been included in my web sites. I will take some time and remove it, but it may not add up to a whole lot.

Jeff

John Hutnick

Can someone please advise exactly where I can find this file of 78 high resolution photos of surviving G&D locomotives.  I looked at gdlines.info, and I am possibly just missing this file when I look.  Thanks.

Jeffrey L Witt

Go here:
http://gdlines.org/GDLines/index.html

The click on the satchel picture at the bottom of the page.

From there, you can read the "story" or go to the galllery.

OK, I went through it and deleted any duplicate content that I owned.

Note that there is stuff I couldn't delete, duplicates uploaded by people other than me. I am not an admin for this group, so couldn't delete them.

If in doubt, let me know before deleting in case I am missing something, unless we get to a crisis level.

Jeff

Dale Smith

I have found, mostly on other groups, that emailed photos can take more storage space than they should.  This is a result of posters inadvertently including the originally posted photo in their response, which results in duplication of the photo.  Many email client programs strip off attachments in a response, but if the photo was embedded or inserted into the message they might not, so you should delete any such photos if you see them in your response.  I don't think this is a big problem for GandD, but I will take a look when I get a chance and delete subsequent appearances of the same photo in the emailed photos folder.

There is also a nice feature of the emailed photos folder in groups.io.  If you click on the thumbnail to view the photo, down at the bottom there is a link that will take you to the message that posted it.  Having only the originally posted photo makes that more usable as it will send you to the message of the person who initially posted it and probably gave more information about it.

Dale