Topics

Surviving Exhibits Photo's Please - Bixby Bridge

Mark Cartwright

I am modeling a Viaduct with a Bixby Like Bridge in the middle of it in a scale of 1:152.
It has a 71 inch radius based at first on Atlas 71" Radius Sectional Track.(prototype curve)
It is also a bit like a Viaduct in Scotland and a Bridge which once stood in Los Angeles with Lights and a path way for pedestrians.
====
It was to go into a corner at my last house in the basement ...Floor to ceiling.
====
For now...
The plan it to put it on a 72" x 72" Module which inserts into the corner of my floor layout at my next-now house. I was a professional photographer too.

John Allen is defiantly an inspiration for this Entry Module to my Layout, as I want it to run to the floor and perhaps have running water flow down to the sea (and then be pumped back up.)
====
Parts for the Bridge

Mostly Atlas N Scale Viaduct Kits..with a razor saw cut every inch. To this cut is a slice of Evergreen Plastic to cause the viaduct to curve.
The middle or Bridge section is from Europe.. I forget Veissman or Faller or Heller...doesn't matter as they interchange kits at times anway...
The Ice Breakers or Footings of the Bridge are from as I recall HO Scale. and no longer in production.
The whole bridge has Wood Square Pegs in each Pylon, so it is removable from the module.

Then I got worse....
Scenery....
I found a Supplier of specific Northern California Rock Formations up in El Dorado County.
These people are crazier than me...They go out and finely detail specific rock formations indicative to Northern California.
There goes another $400 for rocks.

JTT and their finer premium tree lines didn't help me to be slovenly....
I had to up my game there as well.
And I found one day...a Japanese Made sort of gizmo which accurately measures the height of stuff to the Nth Scale.
Think it says Miyatomo on it.
I got it cheap at $100 from a local Habitat Restore who had no idea of what it was...
Me too.
Pulled out a hundred dollar bill and they said Okay.
But I brought it home and began to measure near on damn everything to my layout.

Rail Height too.
Things equal to the same thing are equal to each other. - Euclid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPiw7bKwL2M

Ugh! I went on this far weird project of Equalizing My Layout.
and it all started with a Bridge.
:)) Mark

Okay maybe it started in 1955, when I personally witnessed a Southern Pacific Cab Forwards in action.
Yes I have seen the Elephant !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vXXWq1Wbzw
iffen you want to run long steam...You've have got to get yourself some wide curves.

Warner Swarner

If one had a smaller gap with a good view, little less grand of a prototype than the Bixby Bridge might be the Vista Bridge in Portland.  I love bridges.
 I have expressed my opinions before that I am reasonably sure John’s final bridge would have been as simple As possible (even not up to engineering standards) to be least distracting from the view and probably removeable for access up Giant Canyon.  It was the last connection To build for reasons.

Or Oregon City Bridge, south of Portland.

On Jun 18, 2020, at 8:37 AM, Mark Cartwright via groups.io <marcdecapri@...> wrote:

[...]

Rick Jones

On 6/18/2020 11:15 AM, Warner Swarner via groups.io wrote:
If one had a smaller gap with a good view, little less grand of a prototype than the Bixby Bridge might be the Vista Bridge in Portland.
The Arroyo Seco Bridge in Pasadena, CA is impressive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Street_Bridge_(Pasadena,_California)

Granted, it's a roadway bridge rather than a railroad bridge but the design is easily adaptable.

--

Rick Jones

Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.