Topics

Surviving Exhibits Photo's Please

Randy Lee Decker

If anyone makes it to the San Diego Museum, could I ask that someone please take some more good photo's of any of the John Allen Exhibit.   And, if possible, could someone try and get a better angle shot of John's best evidence of all concerning his last "Great Bridge" that he never finished.
  There is a great shot of one of Johns small, mock up models in a case there. It is in the photo section here but the case blocks the bridge feature and unless it is turned it is hard to see all of the bridge.  Perhaps one of you guys may know the crew there and they can even open the case and turn the model for more than one view.

  The model I am speaking of is on page 3 of the photo's.  It is listed as the San Diego Railroad Museum, back side view.  Sent by nccsbl back in 2012.

I'd just want to try and get a good photo to verify the work I am doing as accurate.     There is plenty of evidence that John for his last bridge he was going to build a larger version of the same style and shape.. High Steel Bridge over Squawbottom that he did finish.      This model totally verifies this without a doubt.

Randy

Andrew Novak

I have photos from 2010 when I was there.

Andrew Novak

On Monday, June 15, 2020, 02:20:27 PM PDT, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

[...]

If you have some nice clear shots I'd love to see them Andrew. I do not think I will make it to the West Coast again in this life, so good photographs of anything new for John Allen would be much appreciated.   I am specifically looking for a view that shows his, unfinished, "Great Bridge" the one he crafted with such detail in one of his scale layout mock ups that survived.   I am hoping that wherever it may be now... (Assuming it is still displayed) that it has a slightly better placement in a case....    If I can't find any of John's fans who had a chance to take good photo's, I will have to ask the museum staff for help but I figure there is no small number of fans on this site from California or the West Coast in general.

Now I am totally unsure if any items have been moved from one museum to another. And If I am not mistaken, there are more than two or even three museum's in CA that have John Allen memorabilia on display.  So I am going by the title on the photo's on our pages here for the location.

Andrew if you have any fun shots I am sure we'd all be curious to see them.   And thanks...
 Randy

Andrew Novak

I will take a look and see what I have. I know I took photos of the exhibit when I visited in 2010. I seemed to recall they also had a Timesaver there. I will try and post them tomorrow.

Andrew Novak

On Monday, June 15, 2020, 04:30:30 PM PDT, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

[...]

The G&D display was removed a few years ago. I believe the items are now in NMRA's hands and that some of the items are/will be on display at California RR Museum in Sacramento, which is currently closed.

Attached it the photo I took in June 2014.

David

Hi Randy,

I think it would be spooky if John was planning on a shortened version of the Canyon Diablo bridge! That would freak me out big time...

David (Dry Gulch & Western)

[...]

David,

That would be freaky! Yours would be tough to beat.

I wonder if John Allen had Bixby Creek Bridge in mind. It wasn't far from Monterey, even though it was for vehicles. The model of the model lacks detail, so it's speculation.

David

Hi Tom,

From the photo, John's scale model does look similar to the Bixby bridge. The only thing that would have to be taken into consideration when building this bridge as a model for a railroad bridge would be the structural differences needed to compensate for the increases in weight distribution along with the resonance effect of freight cars. The vertical supports, as well as the main arch spans would have to be increased from the automobile design. So, I think the design would have to be significantly changed from the original Bixby Creek Bridge. Looking at John's bridges I've noticed that he did make his bridge designs functionally realistic. I think that gave credence to making the railroad look realistic. Sure, he had his moments of whimsy but I believe with bridge design and construction he did the research.

With me and my layout, I just build the things and hope they stay up. Just kidding!

David (Dry Gulch & Western)

On Monday, June 15, 2020, 11:37:09 PM PDT, Tom Hokel (Pine Ridge RR) <pr-line@...> wrote:

David,

That would be freaky! Yours would be tough to beat.

I wonder if John Allen had Bixby Creek Bridge in mind. It wasn't far from Monterey, even though it was for vehicles. The model of the model lacks detail, so it's speculation.

Tom, btw  what dimensions would you estimate these models to have?

Randy Lee Decker

There it is...  that's the angle needed.   Excellent Tom this answered the question and is as clear as day what John intended for that span.    I am setting the approach just like John had very soon.   This will be one very impressive bridge.

There are better photographs of the Vance Creek Bridge.   But in my estimation his work on the Cold Shoulder bridge to scalp Mountain can be no other....  And since his mock up has the same similarities as his first bridge....   I think building the two bridges as similar in construction will be stunning to see and to watch trains cross on such spindly and high rail, breathtaking.

Dave your bridge is a work of art.    I hope I can match your work.

Randy

David

Randy,

Thank you for the compliment. You could make the second bridge similar to the High Steel Bridge that also crosses Vance Creek. I was thinking about building that one but I always liked the Canyon Diablo Bridge. It is fun watching trains go across both bridges.

David (Dry Gulch & Western)

On Tuesday, June 16, 2020, 03:29:55 PM PDT, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

There are better photographs of the Vance Creek Bridge.   But in my estimation his work on the Cold Shoulder bridge to scalp Mountain can be no other....  And since his mock up has the same similarities as his first bridge....   I think building the two bridges as similar in construction will be stunning to see and to watch trains cross on such spindly and high rail, breathtaking.

Dave your bridge is a work of art.    I hope I can match your work.

Somewhere I posted a better photo of the Vance Creek Bridge.   but it is taking a while for Russell to get my messages out.   perhaps it will come later.     Or perhaps not at all...    ?  lol

Here's a better shot.     Funny, but when I first began my search for information after deciding to rebuild the GD Line.  My First question to the guy's at Kalmbach and in any of the pages I found on the web that had discussions about John was; is  there any good evidence of what John actually had in mind for this last bridge?

    Now the notebook drawings Linn mentions but never published would be priceless to John's history.  But those bridges on paper may not be anything he could have used by the time he got to seeing the actual space.   In fact we know the suspension bridge idea mentioned would simply not work in the space with the ceilings as low as they were.  (But it would be great to see those drawings...!)   And we know it would have been some type of design like his previous bridge (perhaps with an arch that rose above the deck for example) but now that I see this mock up bridge in such good light and clarity the search is done for me.

I find it fitting that this was my first introduction in here and one of my early goals.   As now it is settled for me.   Thanks

Randy Lee Decker

David

How about a view from the deck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ukuQ-G8MM8

David (Dry Gulch & western)

On Tuesday, June 16, 2020, 06:10:41 PM PDT, Randy Lee Decker <randyleedecker@...> wrote:

Somewhere I posted a better photo of the Vance Creek Bridge.   but it is taking a while for Russell to get my messages out.   perhaps it will come later.     Or perhaps not at all...    ?  lol

Ya know Toms observation of the Bigsby Creek Bridge is a good one.   I'd say that since the approaches at John place are already steel girders and the one support we are sure of is steel, the reinforced concrete arch of the Bigsby bridge is not John's plan.    But then you remember the concrete railings down in front of Port Plastics.... lol     and the location of this bridge really is only a few miles from Johns place in Monterey...    and it makes ya wonder again...

   No matter what any of us do to solve the mystery we will never be 100% sure.   John was capable of anything.   If I get the time and can design a good enough way to pour and remove the blue or pink super hard dental plaster from the mold of this size (in one piece) to make the spans, I might build them both just for fun, it is very possible to build this and have it super strong...

But then someone else will find another arch design similar again the debate will go and on and on....   Just makes it all more interesting.   lol

Randy